Compounds of Phosphorus - Phosphine
Methods of preparation of phosphine1. From metal phosphides:
2. From phosphorous acid:
3. From phosphonium iodide:
Structure of phosphineIt is hybridised. Three of the four orbitals with 1s-orbitals of hydrogen atoms to form three -bonds while the fourth one contains the lone pair of electrons.
Physical properties of phosphine
- It is a colourless gas having rotten fish smell.
- It is highly poisonous gas.
Chemical properties of phosphine
- is sparingly soluble in water and soluble in organic solvents.
- acts as a Lewis base by donating its lone pair of electrons when it reacts with hydrogen iodide.
- Under normal conditions it is a non-combustible gas,but when heated it catches fire which results in the formation of phosphoric acid.
- When it comes in contact with oxidizing agents it explodes violently.
Uses of phosphine
- In semiconductor industries it is used in small amounts as a dopant
- is used in Holmes signal due to its property of spontaneous combustion
- For the production of smoke screens
Quick Summary With Stories