Fundamentals of Earthquake
EarthquakeEarthquakes are one of the most important natural calamities occurring on the land surface. Vibration or movement of the upper layers of the earth due to the pressure created inside is called earthquake.
Reasons of the Earthquakes1. Pressure increases in the interior of the earth and more earthquakes are caused.
2. Earthquakes are also caused due to deforestation, construction of dams, mining activities etc.
Distribution of earthquakes in IndiaThe occurrence of earthquakes is fairly widespread. The northern Himalayas, East Assam, Gujarat in the West have witnessed most of the earthquakes. In South India, Koyna, Latur and other places have experienced some earthquakes.
Effects of earthquakesThe severity of the earthquakes is decided on the loss of life and destruction of property. It also leads to obstruction to transport spread of infectious diseases, increased tidal activity, change in river's direction etc.
Precautionary measures on earthquake1. Restricting construction of multi-storied buildings in earthquake-prone areas.
2. Using very light material for construction of houses in these areas.
3. Constructing houses to ensure stability.
4. Providing basic amenities to the quake-affected areas.
5. Disconnecting power supply in the event of an earthquake.