Introduction to Simple Harmonic Motion
Time-period from equation of SHMEquation of SHM:
Acceleration-displacement graph of a particle executing SHM is as shown in the figure. Find the time period of oscillation.
so, from graph
Simple Harmonic Motion
Applications of SHMSome applications of SHM are:
- Simple harmonic motion of a pendulum is used for the measurement of time.
- Tuning of the musical instrument is done with the vibrating tuning fork which executes simple harmonic motion.
- Wave is a consequence of simple harmonic motion. Study of waves is indirectly the study of simple harmonic motion.
- Molecules are in simple harmonic motion. This study is called vibration spectroscopy.
Characteristics of SHM
- A restoring force must act on the body.
- Body must have acceleration in a direction opposite to the displacement and the acceleration must be directly proportional to displacement.
- The system must have inertia (mass).
- SHM is a type of oscillatory motion.
- It is a particular case of preodic motion.
- It can be represented by a simple sine or cosine function
Quick Summary With Stories