- Develops from three different layers; The mesothelium (coelomic epithelium), the mesenchyme (intermediate mesoderm) and the primordial germ cells.
- These are present in a skin pouch called the scrotum located between the upper thighs
- They are oval-shaped organs
- They are made of approximately 900 seminiferous tubules and connective tissue called the stromal or interstitial tissue made of Leydig cells (present adjacent to the seminiferous tubules)
- The seminiferous tubules consists of seratoli cells along with spermatocytes, spermataozoa and the spermatids.
- The Leydig cells secrete the androgens (male sex hormones) and the seratoli cells are important for the formation of testis and the spermatogenesis.