answr
Join / Login

Global Warming And Greenhouse Effect

Download PDF for free

Global warming - definition

Global warming is the increase of earth's average surface temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels or from deforestation, which trap heat that would otherwise escape from earth.

Impact of greenhouse gases or global warming - definition

Global warming is projected to have a number of effects on the oceans. Ongoing effects include rising sea levels due to thermal expansion and melting of glaciers and ice sheets, and warming of the ocean surface, leading to increased temperature stratification.

Contribution of greenhouse gases in global warming - definition

The contribution of each gas to the greenhouse effect is affected by the characteristics of that gas, its abundance, and any indirect effects it may cause. The direct radiative effect of a mass of methane is about 72 times stronger than the same mass of carbon dioxide over a 20-year time frame but it is present in much smaller concentrations, so that its total direct radiative effect is smaller, in part due to its shorter atmospheric lifetime. 

Production of green house effect - definition

Out of sun's energy entering the atmosphere about 34% is scattered and reflected back and remaining 66% is absorbed by the earth. U.V.and visible radiation can pass through CO and water vapor present in the atmosphere. U.V. radiations are absorbed by ozone layer but visible light reaches the earth and heats it up.This is the production effect of greenhouse gases.

Consequences of greenhouse effect - definition

If the rate at which solar radiation are arriving the earth remains constant but the amount of carbon dioxide in the air increases, the heat radiated back to the earth will increase. Consequently, the temperature of earth will increase. As a result, a evaporation of surface water will increase which will further help in the rise of temperature.Globe temperature will increase considerably. 

Gases responsible for greenhouse effect - definition

Methane, carbon dioxide, chloro fluorocarbon, ozone , nitrous oxide and water vapour 

Method to control the rate of global warming - definition

1.By preferring walking or using bicycles or going for car pools or taking public transport.
2.By avoiding burning of dry leaves.
3.By not smoking and persuading others also not to smoke in public places and work places.

Green house effect - definition

The greenhouse effect is the process by which radiation from a planet's atmosphere warms the planet's surface to a temperature above what it would be without its atmosphere.

Greenhouse gases - definition

A greenhouse gas is any gaseous compound in the atmosphere that is capable of absorbing infrared radiation, thereby trapping and holding heat in the atmosphere. By increasing the heat in the atmosphere, greenhouse gases are responsible for the greenhouse effect, which ultimately leads to global warming. These greenhouse gases include water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide () and ozone.

Causes of green house effect and global warming - definition

The greenhouse gases that occur naturally in the atmosphere are water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, methane and ozone. A few human activities lead to an increase in the levels of these naturally occurring gases.
The main reasons for the emission of Greenhouse gases and global warming causes and effects thereby, are burning of fossil fuel like coal in the industries fro producing electricity. Burning fossil fuel leads to high emissions of carbon dioxide gas. Another green house gas, methane, which is more powerful than at trapping the heat in the atmosphere, gets released from resources such as rice paddies, bacteria in bogs and fossil fuel manufacture. Nitrous oxide, also a green house gas is produced during nylon and nitric acid production, cars with catalytic converters, the use of fertilizers and the burning of organic matter. A greater emission of nitrous oxides in the recent decades is leading global warming.

Related Concepts

Tropospheric Pollution-Gaseous Pollutants

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

Stratospheric pollution- Ozone formation and breakdown

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

Atmosphere

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

Acid Rain

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

Tropospheric Pollution-Particulate pollutants

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

Smog

ExampleDefinitionsFormulaes

VIEW MORE