Report card comments play a vital role in helping students improving their overall performance. Before we go ahead, it is important that you realize the importance, benefits and challenges of report card comments. Moreover, these comments have to be honest but diplomatic. It is also very crucial for the comments to be valuable. A generic comment for all the students is very disappointing. But if a teacher takes the effort to consciously draft a comment personally for every student, it would be great. Therefore, pay attention to the entire article to know all about drafting a creating an effective comment.
Importance and Significance of Report Card Comments
We all remember dreading those Parent Teacher Meetings throughout our lives. We also remember how the report card comments mean so much to us. Students depend a lot on the comments that teachers leave on their report card. Not only is it important that it is positive and great but we also look up to it for inspiration, support and guidance. Therefore, it is of paramount significance that teachers learn the art of drafting subtle yet powerful report card comments. The sole purpose of these comments should be to:
- Help improve a student’s performance by stating scope for improvements
- Help boost student morale by appreciating good performance
Moreover, student psychologists have proven that 43% students who receive positive report card comments tend to perform 70% better in the upcoming assessments – tests, assignments and co-curricular activities. Let’s say that a student put in his best efforts but could not secure the results that he could have. In this case, if the comments are brutal and insensitive, it could hurt the student. Although it is very important that the comments are honest and straightforward, a poorly-framed comment could cause damage. If the comment was encouraging and pushed the student to want to contribute better, this is an ideal condition.
Tips to Keep in Mind
Report card commenting can be a rather tricky job that requires you to not only possess written proficiency but also demands teachers to stay in touch with their sensitivity. Therefore, here are a set of tips that teachers can keep in mind while commenting on report cards.
- The real art of commenting on report cards comes from practice, experience and knowing the student.
- Before commenting, it is primary that you collect the facts and learn about the efforts that the student put in.
- Also, as a teacher, you should be able to look through the barriers and see the actual performance while being extra-considerate.
Best Examples – Comments on Report Cards
- Is sensitive to the thoughts and opinions of others in the group.
- Treats school property and the belongings of others with care and respect.
- Can be depended on to do what they are asked to do.
- Transitions easily between classroom activities without distraction.
- Has a vibrant imagination and excels in creative writing.
- Writes clearly and with purpose, depth and insight.
- Accepts the recommendations of peers and acts on them when appropriate.
- Resists the urge to be distracted by other students.
- Is kind and helpful to everyone in the classroom.
- Cooperates consistently with the teacher and other students.
- Exhibits a positive outlook and attitude in the classroom.
- Enhances group discussion through insightful comments.
- Treats other students with fairness and understanding.
- Remains an active learner and regularly volunteers throughout the school day.
- Tackles classroom assignments, tasks, and group work in an organized manner.
Solved Questions for You
What are some of the aspects of a student to focus on while commenting on report cards?
Time management, work habits and attitude, social skills, team player, participation, interests and talents, communication skills, character and behavior.