What is AIIMS?
The All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) are a group of autonomous public medical colleges of higher education. An act of parliament has declared these Institutes as ‘Institutions of National Importance.’ AIIMS entrance examination is a National Level UG medical entrance exam conducted by AIIMS, Delhi, to offer admissions in MBBS programs. Getting into AIIMS is a dream-come-true for every aspiring medical student and the gateway to a flourishing career in medicine. This article deals with AIIMS 2018 Application Form. But before we dive in, let’s catch up on the important details. Read on!
AIIMS 2018 Important Dates
Please have a look at the tentative schedule of AIIMS 2018 which will be updated after the announcement of its official notification.
|Commencement of application process||05th February 2018|
|Last date for application process||05th March 2018|
|Corrections in application forms||Fourth week of March 2018|
|Status of registration including rejection/deficiency in applications||March 2018|
|Availability of admit cards||10th May 2018|
|Examination date of AIIMS 2018||27th May 2018|
|Declaration of results||12th June 2018|
|Date of 1st counseling||03rd July 2018|
|Medical examination of selected applicants||July 2018|
|Date of 2nd counseling||02nd August 2018|
|Date of 3rd counseling||04th September 2018|
|Open counseling (if needed)||27th September 2018|
AIIMS 2018 Eligibility criteria
Please read the eligibility criteria required for appearing in AIIMS entrance exam. No candidate is allowed to appear for the test if he/she is not meeting the prescribed criteria.
- Candidates must be 17 years of age as on 31st December of the year of admission.
- Candidates must have passed class 12 under 10+2 Scheme/ Senior School Certificate Examination (CBSE) or Intermediate Science (I. SC.) or an equivalent Examination of a recognised University/ Board of any Indian State.
- Candidates should have English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as main subjects in their qualifying examination.
- Candidates who have appeared or appearing in the qualifying examination i.e. 10+2 with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as the main subject and expect to pass the Examination with required percentage of marks are also eligible to apply and appear in AIIMS MBBS 2018 exam. However, their candidature will be valid only when they provide evidence of having passed 10+2 with the required subjects (English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and percentage of marks
- The minimum aggregate of the marks in English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology obtained in the qualifying examination is 60% (for General and OBC candidates) and 50% for (SC & ST category candidates)
- There is no limit to the number of attempts. One can attempt AIIMS till 30 years of age.
For Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) registered under Section 7A of Citizenship Act, 1955 are also eligible to appear for AIIMS 2018 test. Such candidates need to submit proof or registration as OCI to be eligible to take the test.
For Foreign National (For AIIMS New Delhi Only)
Foreign candidates nominated by the Government of India may appear for the AIIMS 2018 examination. Such candidates must have obtained a minimum 50% aggregate marks in English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in their intermediate science or an equivalent examination.
AIIMS 2018 Exam Pattern
The first thing you should know is the exam pattern of AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Exam. Before we proceed, you should be aware that the All India Institute of Medical Sciences publishes an information brochure to notify about AIIMS MBBS Admission and AIIMS MBBS Entrance Exam, which will be available for the 2018 AIIMS entrance exam in the second half of the year 2018. So the exam pattern and other things you read about here are as per the last available official brochure. Even so, the exam pattern usually remains same year on year, and at least to flag off preparations, knowing this should be a good starting point.
Coming to the AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Exam Pattern, you should know that it is an online test or computer based test.
In a computer based test, the student goes to the test centre and is allotted a computer. There, he/she has to log in with login details provided. As soon as test begins, instructions appear on screen and questions come one by one. The student has to select answers by clicking a radio button next to the options given.
Multiple choice questions and Reason assertion questions are asked in AIIMS MBBS Entrance Exam.
An MCQ is where a question is followed by 4 options, out of which one is correct. In a reason-assertion type question on the other hand, a statement of assertion (A) is followed by a statement of reason (R). There are four options. First, if A and R are true and R is correct explanation of A. Second option is that A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A. Third option is that A is true but R is false. Fourth option is that A and R are false.
This is the weightage of questions subject-wise.
|Subject||Number of questions|
|Biology (Botany and Zoology)||60|
|Aptitude and Logical Thinking||10|
Also this is the distribution of type of questions.
|Type of question||Number of questions|
Reason assertion type questions will be for physics, chemistry, biology.
You should also know the marking scheme.
|Answer not marked||0|
As you can see, there is negative marking. So be cautious while marking an answer. Do not wild guesses while marking answer in AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Exam.
The duration of AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Exam will be 3 1/2 hours.
Summary for AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Exam Pattern
- 200 questions
- 3.5 hours duration
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, General knowledge, Aptitude are topics from which questions will come.
- There will be 140 MCQs and 60 reason assertion type questions.
How do I register for AIIMS 2018?
Before you attempt to register yourself for the AIIMS 2018 examination, please keep the following documents/things ready and in the specifications mentioned against each of them.
- Scanned image of your recent colour passport size photograph with a white background. The photograph must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm (width x height), and the image size must be 10-100 KB.
- Scanned image of your signature in 6 X 3 cm (width x height) size
- Scanned image of your left thumb impression in 4 X 3 cm (width x height)
- Valid e-mail id & mobile number
- Qualification and academic details
- Credit Card/Debit Card/ Net Banking details
For registering, follow these steps:
- Open the AIIMS 2018 official website.
- Click on the ‘New Registration’ Tab.
- After reading the instructions, click on the ‘Proceed’ tab.
- Now, fill your personal and contact information.
- Note your ‘Candidate ID’ and press ‘OK’.
- Pay the Application Fee.
- Select your choice of Exam Centre.
- Now, you’ll be asked to fill your Qualification and Address details.
- Upload scanned images in the prescribed format.
- After completing the entire procedure, click on the ‘Save & Proceed’ tab.
- Please take a printout of the AIIMS 2018 Application Form for future reference and click on the ‘Final Submit’ tab.
AIIMS 2018 Application form
We have furnished below the important highlights about AIIMS application form. Candidates should carefully read the information brochure and confirm their eligibility before they apply for the entrance exam.
- The applicants can apply for AIIMS 2018 from the official website of AIIMS through online mode.
- The application process will starts from January 2018 till February 2018.
- The applicants will be able to do the corrections (if required) from the month of March 2018.
- The applicants are advised to be ready with the scanned images of their passport size photograph, left thumb impression & signature in mentioned size & format to upload during application process.
AIIMS 2018 Application fee
- The application fee can be paid either through online (via debit/credit card or net banking) or offline (via challan payable at any branch of SBI Bank) mode.
- The application fee for General category is Rs. 1000/-.
- The application fee for OBC (both creamy & non-creamy layers) is Rs. 1000/-.
- The application fee for SC category is Rs. 800/-.
- The application fee for ST category is Rs. 800/-.
- The applicants who belong to OPH category will be exempted from application fee.
AIIMS 2018 Exam centre
While applying for the AIIMS 2018 examination, you’ll be asked to choose your examination centre. We’ve put together a list of all the AIIMS 2018 Exam Centres that you can refer to at the time of registering for the test.
How should I prepare?
- Have a study plan in your mind. It is also useful to set tangible goals for each day, and work on fulfilling them.
- Be thorough with the syllabus, and don’t forget the basics in a rush for the more complicated things.
- Avoid the common mistakes everyone makes – obsessing over tough questions, silly mistakes, the likes. Just keeping these few basic things in mind can improve your rank by a huge margin.
- Don’t just read stuff; remember stuff. AIIMS won’t test you solely on your concepts, there’ll be a lot of cramming required as well. Read about how to remember stuff you read here.
- Solve the past year papers and sample papers – Find AIIMS Question papers and as many sample papers as you can and try to attempt them keeping time for 3 hours and simulating exam situation which will make you get used to exam time management and pressure handling.
- Use the past year papers and sample papers you solved to draw up a suitable exam strategy. That said, don’t be too rigid with it, as examiners love to throw up surprises that’ll make your strategy and planning useless!
- Keep revision notes, which will make short work of going through the entire syllabus again. Revision is extremely important; Keep glancing through the syllabus time and again.
Besides these, you can look here for a detailed article listing the best tips to crack AIIMS 2018.
Where can I find previous years’ papers?
It is often said that previous year papers are the best ways to judge your preparation; And it holds for AIIMS as well. Solve all the previous papers of AIIMS with the time limit set. Focus on the frequently asked questions, topics and pattern. Also, focus on question papers of other exams like JIPMER, RPET and NEET if you are looking for a diverse practise and chances are that you will appear for more medical entrance exams other than AIIMS 2018. Going through the current and past years’ JEE Main paper won’t hurt either.
What colleges can I get through AIIMS 2018?
Participating Institutes are the ones that will offer admission to the qualifying candidates of AIIMS 2018 exam. Please find below the list of all seven AIIMS colleges along with the cut-off trend for various categories of candidates.
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- AIIMS, Bhopal
- AIIMS, Bhubaneshwar
- AIIMS, Jodhpur
- AIIMS, Patna
- AIIMS, Raipur
- AIIMS, Rishikesh
The Government also gave updates on the establishment of AIIMS Nagpurrecently, which will be open for admission in the near upcoming years. Click here for in-depth information on all the seven AIIMS Institutes.
When do I qualify?
The cutoff for this examination is dependent on a lot of variables, such as the number of applicants, the difficulty level of the paper and the number of seats. You can take a look at the All India Rank wise cutoffs for the different colleges below.
|Name of Colleges||AIIMS MBBS Cut-off Rank-Wise|
|AIIMS, New Delhi||40||187||1029||2462|
How should I discuss my doubts?
Doubt discussion is extremely essential for an exam like AIIMS. A small, niggling doubt might lead to a huge misunderstanding, which can ultimately cost one a lot of marks in the exam. Hence, it is extremely important to clear a doubt as soon as it appears. Get your doubts cleared in the best way, and by the best people possible!
- What are some of the scoring topics in Physics?
- How should I solve Kinematics problems for AIIMS 2018?
- How should I reduce calculation errors?
- What are some tricks used by toppers while in the preparatory phase?
- What is the strategy followed by toppers while preparing for AIIMS?
- What are some smart ways of preparing for AIIMS?
- Along with AIIMS, I need to handle 12th standard as well. Where can I find all information for that? And what are the other exams I should give in 12th?
- I am a repeater. Which exams can I attempt, now that I don’t have the burden of 12th board?
That’s all for now. All the best!