What is AIIMS?
The All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) are a group of autonomous public medical colleges of higher education. An act of parliament has declared these Institutes as ‘Institutions of National Importance.’ AIIMS entrance examination is a National Level UG medical entrance exam conducted by AIIMS, Delhi, to offer admissions in MBBS programs. Getting into AIIMS is a dream-come-true for every aspiring medical student and the gateway to a flourishing career in medicine. This article deals with the AIIMS 2019 Application Form. But before we dive in, let’s catch up on the important details. Read on!
Important Note – AIIMS and JIPMER Entrance exam has been canceled and NEET will be the only entrance exam for Medical Students.
AIIMS 2019 Important Dates
Please have a look at the tentative schedule of AIIMS 2019 which will be updated after the announcement of its official notification.
|Commencement of application process||05th February 2019|
|Last date for application process||05th March 2019|
|Corrections in application forms||Fourth week of March 2019|
|Status of registration including rejection/deficiency in applications||March 2019|
|Availability of admit cards||10th May 2019|
|Examination date of AIIMS 2019||27th May 2019|
|Declaration of results||12th June 2019|
|Date of 1st counseling||03rd July 2019|
|Medical examination of selected applicants||July 2019|
|Date of 2nd counseling||02nd August 2019|
|Date of 3rd counseling||04th September 2019|
|Open counseling (if needed)||27th September 2019|
AIIMS 2019 Eligibility criteria
Please read the eligibility criteria required for appearing in the AIIMS entrance exam. No candidate is allowed to appear for the test if he/she is not meeting the prescribed criteria.
- Candidates must be 17 years of age as on 31st December of the year of admission.
- Candidates must have passed class 12 under 10+2 Scheme/ Senior School Certificate Examination (CBSE) or Intermediate Science (I. SC.) or an equivalent Examination of a recognized University/ Board of any Indian State.
- Candidates should have English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects in their qualifying examination.
- Candidates who have appeared or appearing in the qualifying examination i.e. 10+2 with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as the main subject and expect to pass the Examination with required percentage of marks are also eligible to apply and appear in AIIMS MBBS 2018 exam. However, their candidature will be valid only when they provide evidence of having passed 10+2 with the required subjects (English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) and percentage of marks
- The minimum aggregate of the marks in English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology obtained in the qualifying examination is 60% (for General and OBC candidates) and 50% for (SC & ST category candidates)
- There is no limit to the number of attempts. One can attempt AIIMS until 30 years of age.
For Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
The Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) registered under Section 7A of Citizenship Act, 1955 are also eligible to appear for AIIMS 2019 test. Such candidates need to submit proof of registration as OCI to be eligible to take the test.
For Foreign National (For AIIMS New Delhi Only)
Foreign candidates nominated by the Government of India may appear for the AIIMS 2019 examination. Such candidates must have obtained a minimum 50% aggregate marks in English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their intermediate science or an equivalent examination.
AIIMS 2019 Exam Pattern
The first thing you should know is the exam pattern of AIIMS MBBS 2019 Entrance Exam. Before we proceed, you should be aware that the All India Institute of Medical Sciences publishes an information brochure to notify about AIIMS MBBS Admission and AIIMS MBBS Entrance Exam, which will be available for the 2019 AIIMS entrance exam in the second half of the year 2019. So the exam pattern and other things you read about here are as per the last available official brochure. Even so, the exam pattern usually remains the same year on year, and at least to flag off preparations, knowing this should be a good starting point.
Coming to the AIIMS MBBS 2019 Entrance Exam Pattern, you should know that it is an online test or computer-based test.
In a computer-based test, the student goes to the test center and is allotted a computer. There, he/she has to log in with the login details provided. As soon as the test begins, instructions appear on screen and questions come one by one. The student has to select answers by clicking a radio button next to the options given.
Multiple choice questions and Reason assertion questions are asked in AIIMS MBBS Entrance Exam.
An MCQ is where a question is followed by 4 options, out of which one is correct. In a reason-assertion type question, on the other hand, a statement of assertion (A) is followed by a statement of the reason (R). There are four options. First, if A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A. Second option is that A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A. Third option is that A is true but R is false. The fourth option is that A and R are false.
This is the weightage of questions subject-wise.
|Subject||Number of questions|
|Biology (Botany and Zoology)||60|
|Aptitude and Logical Thinking||10|
Also, this is the distribution of type of questions.
|Type of question||Number of questions|
Reason assertion type questions will be for physics, chemistry, biology.
You should also know the marking scheme.
|Answer not marked||0|
As you can see, there is negative marking. So be cautious while marking an answer. Do not wild guesses while marking answers in AIIMS MBBS 2019 Entrance Exam.
The duration of the AIIMS MBBS 2019 Entrance Exam will be 3 1/2 hours.
Summary for AIIMS MBBS 2019 Entrance Exam Pattern
- 200 questions
- 3.5 hours duration
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, General knowledge, Aptitude are topics from which questions will come.
- There will be 140 MCQs and 60 reason assertion type questions.
How do I register for AIIMS 2019?
Before you attempt to register yourself for the AIIMS 2019 examination, please keep the following documents/things ready and in the specifications mentioned against each of them.
- Scanned image of your recent colour passport size photograph with a white background. The photograph must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm (width x height), and the image size must be 10-100 KB.
- Scanned image of your signature in 6 X 3 cm (width x height) size
- Scanned image of your left thumb impression in 4 X 3 cm (width x height)
- Valid e-mail id & mobile number
- Qualification and academic details
- Credit Card/Debit Card/ Net Banking details
For registering, follow these steps:
- Open the AIIMS 2019 official website – https://www.aiimsexams.org/
- Click on the ‘New Registration’ Tab.
- After reading the instructions, click on the ‘Proceed’ tab.
- Now, fill your personal and contact information.
- Note your ‘Candidate ID’ and press ‘OK’.
- Pay the Application Fee.
- Select your choice of Exam Centre.
- Now, you’ll be asked to fill your Qualification and Address details.
- Upload scanned images in the prescribed format.
- After completing the entire procedure, click on the ‘Save & Proceed’ tab.
- Please take a printout of the AIIMS 2019 Application Form for future reference and click on the ‘Final Submit’ tab.
AIIMS 2019 Application form
We have furnished below the important highlights about the AIIMS application form. Candidates should carefully read the information brochure and confirm their eligibility before they apply for the entrance exam.
- The applicants can apply for AIIMS 2019 from the official website of AIIMS through online mode.
- The application process will starts from January 2019 till February 2019.
- The applicants will be able to do the corrections (if required) from the month of March 2019.
- The applicants are advised to be ready with the scanned images of their passport size photograph, left thumb impression & signature in mentioned size & format to upload during application process.
AIIMS 2019 Application Fee
- The application fee can be paid either through online (via debit/credit card or net banking) or offline (via challan payable at any branch of SBI Bank) mode.
- The application fee for General category is Rs. 1000/-.
- The application fee for OBC (both creamy & non-creamy layers) is Rs. 1000/-.
- The application fee for the SC category is Rs. 800/-.
- The application fee for the ST category is Rs. 800/-.
- The applicants who belong to the OPH category will be exempted from the application fee.
AIIMS 2019 Exam centre
While applying for the AIIMS 2019 examination, you’ll be asked to choose your examination center. We’ve put together a list of all the AIIMS 2019 Exam Centres that you can refer to at the time of registering for the test.
How should I prepare?
- Have a study plan in your mind. It is also useful to set tangible goals for each day and work on fulfilling them.
- Be thorough with the syllabus, and don’t forget the basics in a rush for the more complicated things.
- Avoid the common mistakes everyone makes – obsessing over tough questions, silly mistakes, the likes. Just keeping these few basic things in mind can improve your rank by a huge margin.
- Don’t just read stuff; remember stuff. AIIMS won’t test you solely on your concepts, there’ll be a lot of cramming required as well. Read about how to remember stuff you read here.
- Solve the past year papers and sample papers – Find AIIMS Question papers and as many sample papers as you can and try to attempt them keeping time for 3 hours and simulating exam situation which will make you get used to exam time management and pressure handling.
- Use the past year papers and sample papers you solved to draw up a suitable exam strategy. That said, don’t be too rigid with it, as examiners love to throw up surprises that’ll make your strategy and planning useless!
- Keep revision notes, which will make short work of going through the entire syllabus again. Revision is extremely important; Keep glancing through the syllabus time and again.
Besides these, you can look here for a detailed article listing the best tips to crack AIIMS 2019.
Where can I find previous years’ papers?
It is often said that previous year papers are the best ways to judge your preparation, And it holds for AIIMS as well. Solve all the previous papers of AIIMS with the time limit set. Focus on the frequently asked questions, topics, and patterns. Also, focus on question papers of other exams like JIPMER, RPET, and NEET if you are looking for a diverse practice and chances are that you will appear for more medical entrance exams other than AIIMS 2019. Going through the current and past years’ JEE Main paper won’t hurt either.
You can signup on Toppr to download previous year papers of AIIMS.
What colleges can I get through AIIMS 2019?
Participating Institutes are the ones that will offer admission to the qualifying candidates of AIIMS 2019 exam. Please find below the list of all seven AIIMS colleges along with the cut-off trend for various categories of candidates.
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- AIIMS, Bhopal
- AIIMS, Bhubaneshwar
- AIIMS, Jodhpur
- AIIMS, Patna
- AIIMS, Raipur
- AIIMS, Rishikesh
The Government also gave updates on the establishment of AIIMS Nagpurrecently, which will be open for admission in the near upcoming years. Click here for in-depth information on all the seven AIIMS Institutes.
When do I qualify?
The cutoff for this examination is dependent on a lot of variables, such as the number of applicants, the difficulty level of the paper and the number of seats. You can take a look at the All India Rank wise cutoffs for the different colleges below.
|Name of Colleges||AIIMS MBBS Cut-off Rank-Wise|
|AIIMS, New Delhi||40||187||1029||2462|
How should I discuss my doubts?
Doubt discussion is extremely essential for an exam like AIIMS. A small, niggling doubt might lead to a huge misunderstanding, which can ultimately cost one a lot of marks in the exam. Hence, it is extremely important to clear doubt as soon as it appears. Get your doubts cleared in the best way, and by the best people possible on Toppr!
That’s all for now. All the best for AIIMS E!xam