AIIMS Rishikesh: All You Need to Know
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Rishikesh (AIIMS Rishikesh) is a medical college, Hospital and Medical Research Public University, situated in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India. The Institute operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Like the other AIIMS colleges, it takes the coveted attribute of being a picky medical college to a whole different level. With an intake of just 100 MBBS students and 60 Nursing students per batch, the institute has had the pleasure of carrying forth the age-old AIIMS tradition of disappointing 99.4% of the medical aspirants every year since 2012.
AIIMS Rishikesh is one of the SIX AIIMS like apex healthcare institutes being established by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY). It came into existence as an Institute of National Importance through an Act of parliament. The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012, was passed in the Lok Sabha on August 30, 2012 and in Rajya Sabha on September 4, 2012. This Act enabled the Rishikesh AIIMS to be an autonomous body on the lines of the existing AIIMS Delhi. So, it is following the procedures and academic programs of the main AIIMS, New Delhi. It should be noted that AIIMS Rishikesh is headed by President of the Institute. The President of AIIMS Rishikesh is Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. But the day to day activities are looked upon by the Director of Institute. The position of director is currently held by Padmashri Mr. Ravi Kant.
The aim of this College is to provide excellent medical education in such developing areas of the country. AIIMS is proffering undergraduate and postgraduate education in medical and other related fields. Also, it offers courses on nursing science and Para-medical education.
AIIMS Rishikesh Facts And Figures
|Founder||Ministry of Health & Welfare, Government of India|
|Accredited by/Affiliated||Government of India passed a bill in the parliament to build 6 AIIMS institute. AIIMS Rishikesh is one of them.|
|Campus||Located in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand|
|How to Travel||
Why You Should Join All India Institute Of Medical Sciences, Rishikesh
- Premier Academic Institute in Medical Field: AIIMS Rishikesh undoubtedly is one of the best medical Institutes in India. Students from across the globe strive hard to get admission in this pioneering institute.
- First-Class Infrastructural Facilities:The Institute is funded by the Government with a sole aim to serve the society unconditionally. It is well equipped with the latest medical instruments and Medical Laboratories, well-stocked Library, Hostel Facilities for the students, computer labs, etc.
- Excellent Team of Doctors as Faculty Members: AIIMS Rishikesh has the best team of doctors, professors and researchers as its faculty members who are imparting excellent medical education and training to the aspirants.
- Moderate Fees Structure: It is one of the significant benefits to those students who want to pursue a medical career but are unable to get due to financial issues. AIIMS Rishikesh has an economical fee structure and caters the needs of the students quite well.
AIIMS Rishikesh Fee Structure
Fees for Indian Nationals
Compared to other medical colleges in the country, AIIMS fees is highly subsidised. Let’s go over the fee structure at AIIMS Rishikesh.
|Fee Component||Payable Amount|
|Registration Fee||₹ 25|
|Caution Money (Refundable)||₹ 100|
|Tuition Fee||₹ 1350|
|Laboratory Fee||₹ 90|
|Student Union Fee||₹ 63|
|Total Fee||₹ 1628|
Although the fee is highly affordable, it is only after you crack AIIMS MBBS exam that you get this offer. And they are very strict about fee payment. Here are some important pointers pertaining to it
- The fee payment has to be made in cash.
- There isn’t any relaxation in fee deposition date.
- All the fee payment has to be made in cash. No other mode of fee payment is accepted.
- Hostel accommodation will be provided only if there is an availability.
All the candidates residing in AIIMS Rishikesh hostels will be subjected to the fee structure below.
|Fee Component||Payable Amount|
|Hostel Rent||₹ 990|
|Gymkhana Fee||₹ 220|
|Pot Fund||₹ 1320|
|Electricity Charges||₹ 198|
|Mess Security Deposit (Refundable)||₹ 500|
|Hostel Security Deposit (Refundable)||₹ 1000|
|Total Fee||₹ 4228|
Fees for Foreign Nationals
For the students who are not Indian citizens and seek admission to MBBS course at AIIMS, a fee of $75000 is chargeable. These payments will have to be made in three equal instalments – pre-clinical phase, para-clinical phase & clinical phase of their MBBS curriculum.
Duration: 5 Years & 6 Months – MBBS curriculum is currently for a duration of 5 years & 6 months, which includes 4 years & 6 months of curriculum and 1 year of rotating internship. Recently, the Indian government has added an additional year of internship plus another year of rural posting, making MBBS of total 7 years and 6 months.
Type of Course: Graduation
- Candidate must have passed 10+2 or any equivalent exam conducted by any State Board or Equivalent.
- They should have secured a minimum 50% aggregate marks.
- All SC/ST candidates have a relaxation of 5% in the minimum aggregate i.e. 45% aggregate marks.
Bachelor of Sciences [BSc] (Nursing)
Duration: 4 Years
Type of Course: Graduation
- The candidate should be 10+2 pass in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- the candidates should be medically fit.
Master of Sciences [MSc] (Nursing)
Duration: 2 YEARS
Type of Course:Post Graduation
- The candidate must have passed 10+2 from a recognised school or board in India.
- The candidate must be a registered nurse or registered midwife with any State Nursing Registration Council.
- The candidate must have passed B.Sc. /B.Sc. (Hons)/Post basic B.Sc. in Nursing with minimum 55% to 60% marks in aggregate from a recognised university.
Note: PhD at AIIMS Rishikesh will begin from 2017 onwards.
AIIMS Rishikesh Admissions
Admissions to the MBBS course of AIIMS Rishikesh are through the AIIMS MBBS exam conducted once every year. Here are a few important dates to AIIMS 2018 MBBS entrance exam. AIIMS MBBS is one of the few entrance exams which doesn’t follow NEET syllabus for admissions. AIIMS had refused to be a part of NEET since they though that would have brought the difficulty level of the medical entrance exam down.
|AIIMS MBBS 2018 Events||Tentative Dates|
|Commencement of Application||January 2018|
|AIIMS MBBS 2018 Admit Card||May 2018|
|AIIMS MBBS 2018 Entrance Test||May 2018|
|AIIMS MBBS Results Declared||June 2018|
|AIIMS MBBS Counselling – First Round||July 2018|
|Medical Examination of shortlisted candidates for AIIMS Delhi||July 2018|
|Second Counselling||August 2018|
|Third Counselling||September 2018|
|Open Counselling (if needed)||September 2018|
AIIMS Application form 2018
Application form for AIIMS MBBS 2018 will be released in January 2018 and the process will end in February 2018. The application fee for general and OBC categories will be INR 1000 while it will be INR 800 for SC/ST candidates. It must be noted that the AIIMS application form can be submitted in online mode only and no any other mode of application will be accepted.
|Category||AIIMS Application form fee|
How to Apply For AIIMS MBBS 2018?
Candidates can go through the following steps to complete AIIMS Registration 2018:
- Visit the official website of AIIMS
- Select ‘MBBS’ from given list
- Enter the required details in the given format
- Make payment of your application fee in online mode or via bank challan
- Upload photo, signature after scanning
- Recheck the filled AIIMS application form
- Get a print copy of the AIIMS form
The cut-off score is the minimum score which has to be secured by a candidate to get admission in AIIMS. As per the AIIMS MBBS 2018 qualifying criteria, AIIMS cut off for general category candidates will be 50% while for OBC candidates, it will be 45%. The cutoff will be determined on the basis of percentile as the examination will be held in two shifts. Normalization Procedure will be used to determine the qualifying criteria. The cut-off score for different categories is mentioned below:
OBC (NCL): 45%
AIIMS MBBS Rishikesh Cut off 2016- Rank wise
Medical College @ AIIMS Rishikesh
The Medical College at AIIMS Rishikesh consists of the following departments:
It occupies parts of first and ground floors of the Institute. Major activities are centered around teaching and research. Students for MBBS course are admitted once a year. The anatomy is stratified in Gross Anatomy, Developmental Anatomy, Histology, Radiography and Genetics for better disbursal of knowledge by highly competent faculty and equipped with the best configuration of labs, tutorials, demonstrations and well-planned lectures.
The department of Biochemistry at A.I.I.M.S., Rishikesh is associated with academic activities, teaching, training of students, diagnostic service for patient care and research by faculty and undergraduate students.
The physiology section is equipped with a lecture theatre with sitting capacity of 250- with an interactive audio-visual system, Haematology lab, Clinical physiology lab, Pulmonary function lab, Amphibian lab, Mammalian lab, demonstration rooms and a lot more.
Presently, the department is actively training students in drug delivery systems and devices. Bedside teaching for detecting, analyzing and reporting Adverse Drug Reaction (ADR) is also done as part of the curriculum. The Department is committed to providing the best quality and clinically-oriented information to MBBS students to make them into rational prescribers.
The Department of Pathology at AIIMS Rishikesh is located at the A4 and A5 blocks in the second floor of the Medical College building. It plays two essential roles in the field of medicine, which includes educating the medical students and providing diagnostic services.
The role of Microbiology is to provide clinical consultation on investigation, diagnosis & treatment of patients suffering from infectious diseases and for implementing infection control programmes and developing a feasible Antibiotic policy.
Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
The department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology is situated on the 3rd floor of the Academic Block of the Institute. It is engaged in teaching medical students by providing hands-on experience and modern teaching modalities.
College of Nursing
College of Nursing, AIIMS Rishikesh started in the academic session of 2013 as a Department of Nursing of AIIMS Rishikesh with joining of founder Principal Dr Suresh Kumar Sharma on 12th March, 2013. The first batch of 60 B.Sc. (Hons) Nursing students was admitted in the month of July, 2013 through the All India entrance test, which was conducted by AIIMS, New Delhi. The college is dedicated and committed to train and groom nurses by offering premier quality teaching, instructions and guidance in clinical and research areas of modern nursing. Nursing services, education and research activities of the department will be par excellence.
- Starting M.Sc. Nursing and PhD Nursing and super-speciality nursing courses/ fellowships in Neurosciences Nursing, Critical Care Nursing, Cardio-Thoracic Nursing, Emergency and Trauma Nursing, Nephrological Nursing, Oncological Nursing, Orthopedic Nursing, Gastroenterological Nursing, Forensic Nursing, Diabetic Nurse, Stoma nurse and Neonatal Nursing, etc.
- Starting the master’s program in Family Health Nurse Practitioner to provide independent nurse practitioners for the country to augment health care in remote and rural areas
- Having state-of-the-art facilities to promote nursing research in the institution on local, regional and national nursing issues and problems
- Starting publication of a scientific nursing research journal(s) for the dissemination of empirical pieces of evidence generated by the nurse researchers
The nursing students of all programmes will provide services to the indoor and outdoor patients in the institute while learning. The nursing faculty and students will serve the patients during the scheduled times in all the areas of hospital and community health centre and thereby will contribute towards patient care services.
Research Scope for Students
AIIMS Rishikesh will offer state-of-the-art infrastructure facilities and excellent atmosphere for research with a holistic approach.
Institute would soon announce its thrust areas of research and would make funds available for multi-discipline and multi-institutional projects relevant to the state as well as the country.
Research endeavors at the institute will aim at:
- Making discoveries in basic biomedical sciences that may form building blocks of future solutions in health (Basic sciences research)
- Translating basic and preclinical knowledge into treatments, diagnostics, and technologies to preserve, protect and restore health (Translational research)
- Advancing understanding of epidemiology, mechanisms and clinical aspects of disease and testing novel therapies and cures (Clinical research)
- Improving health at the population level and enhancing effectiveness, efficiency, and equity of the health system (Public Health Research)
- Testing new curricula, approaches, methods, and technologies in health professional education
Interdisciplinary, innovative and pioneering research activities at AIIMS, Rishikesh would not only be the stuff of scientific history but would also be the vital foundation of both a world-renowned medical education and unsurpassed patient care.
Medical Education Cell
Medical Education Cell (MEC) at AIIMS Rishikesh was conceptualized in the year 2013 with the aim to keep faculty members and students abreast with latest trends in teaching methodologies and advancements in clinical and basic sciences. It was created to accomplish requirements of teacher and also learners with respect to medical education. In addition, it intends to support and strengthen high-quality research activity by imparting desired knowledge on research methodology and ethics to researchers.
The scope of medical education cell at AIIMS Rishikesh extends from creating and devising an informative and innovative curriculum for medical students to make them into good clinicians and research physicians to the training of trainers (ToT) who can impart such training besides keeping them updated with latest trends in the field of medicine.
MEC at AIIMS Rishikesh is dedicated to achieving these goals in a reasonable frame of time. Since its inception, it has tried to keep pace with the growth of the Institution from a medical teaching college to a full-fledged tertiary care teaching hospital. It is steadily moving towards achieving the desired objective and is in the phase of building up of resources and utilizing the available things for the best outcome.
- To establish a center of excellence in medical education
- To promote and conduct activities of Continuing Medical Education (C.M.E.)
- To conduct training of faculty in methodologies of Medical education, curriculum designing, communication skills, teaching, learning, assessment, evaluation & scientific writing
- To conduct research in the field of medical education
- To train MBBS and Nursing students in medical ethics
The college is known for its lush green campus and peaceful atmosphere. Rishikesh is well known for its water sports all over the world. It is indeed amazing to pursue MBBS in nature’s lap, which is a fitting description of the AIIMS Rishikesh campus. This, along with its strict anti-ragging policy, makes life in its environs one to cherish and remember for a lifetime. The college has amazing hostels, facilitating a more than a comfortable environment to nurture the talents of students who are bound to turn into the face of the nation’s medical pride.
Apart from being an excellent college with state-of-the-art facilities, the campus also houses an excellent hospital. The hospital offers medical consultation and treatment in almost every field imaginable. Pretty impressive for a 5-year-old clinic, huh?
- Boys’ Hostels
- Girls’ Hostels
- Medical Facilities
To conclude, AIIMS Rishikesh upholds the brand value and boasts the respect that its name has commanded over the years. With its excellent research, treatment and educational facilities and the attention shown to each student, one can almost justify its exclusive status.