With an aim to motivate exceptionally talented students to pursue a career in science, engineering and research domain, the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) was started in 1999. This scholarship program is funded by the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India and granted by means of an examination in the streams SA (class 11), SX (class 12) and SB (1st year of graduation in Basic Sciences). Moreover, it also serves as one of the qualifying platforms for studying in the prestigious Indian Institute of Science (IISC). The screened applicants are then called for an aptitude test and interview. Candidates with a well-combined score are considered eligible for the scholarship.
Conducted every year in the month of November, clearing the KVPY examination is certainly not an easy feat and requires a rigorous amount of hard work and proper training. Most of the candidates who appear for the exam will also be giving the JEE in the near future. But, obviously, other competitive exams cannot be compared to KVPY as the exam sets itself apart with a large focus on multi-concept implementation in each question.
Let’s understand how KVPY can help you prepare better for the JEE exam.
- Since it is the literally the first competitive exam faced by the students of the Science stream, it can go a long way in helping the students to prepare for IIT JEE. Although JEE and KVPY differ vastly in their approach and assessment, the setting and environment can be quite similar. Now given that generally both of these tests are related to the JEE syllabus, it’s a good idea to appear for them. They’ll let you know your mettle. But be sure that you are doing this for learning, not just “passing” the test or “earning” the KVPY scholarship.
- KVPY can help the students to gauge their preparation for JEE. It helps in mentally preparing the student to be able to deliver in a competent environment. The exam also helps in honing time management skills along with staying focussed on multiple tasks and different subjects.
- Moreover, KVPY tests the student’s ability to comprehend and apply the various concepts that have been learnt; it is mainly used to determine if you have an aptitude for research. Since this exam focuses on the fundamentals, the preparation for KVPY and JEE need not be exclusive.
- The KVPY platform is a great place to network and make new friends with similar aspirations and dreams. Many online education delivery platforms like Toppr provide quality study material for medical and engineering students, who aspire to secure a KVPY scholarship. Candidates can exchange ideas and build long lasting bonds that can inspire them to achieve their goals in the long run.
- What works for JEE aspirants? KVPY exam is held before JEE, so it serves as the perfect platform to test your preparedness level. If you appear for it in Class 11, you will probably have only 5 months to prepare. Whereas, if you appear for it in Class 12, you will have about 7 months to clear up the entire syllabus. This will leave you with ample time to revise and re-revise the syllabus again for JEE. It’s a win-win situation on both grounds. You will also be able to work on your shortcomings and rectify them.
If you clear KVPY, it will certainly boost your confidence and would open new opportunities to join research programs. You could access national libraries by its certificate as it is recognized internationally.
What I think is that the more number of tests you give, the more you know where you stand in a competitive environment, and therefore the better. It also lets you know more about how you think in different kind of situations, what gets you nervous, what increases your efficiency. It can also teach you a hell lot about time management.
Hence, KVPY does help immensely in the long run and aids the preparation process for JEE.
To help you with your preparation, here’s all you need to know about the KVPY written exam and interview.
If you have any doubts, feel free to comment below.