BITS vs. NITs: HOW TO TAKE A CALL?
Life is complex and often causes dilemmas especially when it comes to education. Deciding an engineering college is equally troublesome if not more, than the two years you spend preparing for it. Which college to choose? Which stream is better? If you haven’t made it to an IIT and are still stuck with the age-old debate of BITS vs NITs, you have come to the right place.
Here is what you should know before you make a decision.
BITS vs. NITs
First, let’s quickly understand both the ‘brands’ in brief.
BITS is a private and deemed university with four established centres at Pilani, Hyderabad, Goa and Dubai. Admissions are merit-based and are assessed by BITSAT (BITS Admission Test).
NITs are government-run institutes where admissions are done through the JEE Main examination. Comprising 30 independent institutes, they are located one in each major state/territory of India.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE BITS OVER NITs?
- The quality of students is better in BITS because the admissions are purely merit-based; there are no reservations whatsoever. However, reservation is quite prevalent in NITs. There is State Quota where students from state board get more preference in that state’s NIT over those from central boards. Also, a number of seats are reserved for OBC or SC/ST students, which lowers the overall student quality in NITs.
- BITS provides the gift of freedom to students with no compulsory attendance, which gives them enough time to invest in all fields of their interests.
- The institution has a better pedagogic system and academic flexibility. You have the option of a dual degree, which helps pursue both science and engineering together.
- BITS has a better international reputation, thus offers a scope of high salary packages. BITS also produces some of the finest entrepreneurs in India.
WHY SHOULD YOU CHOOSE NIT OVER BITS?
- If you talk about value for money, NITs totally outstrip BITS. BITS is a private college, while NITs are government-run colleges. While you have to spend lakhs for your education in BITS, you can do the same with less than half that cost, with almost equal output, in NITs.
- Curriculum for engineering is wider in NITs, which, in turn, makes you a better candidate for core technical jobs.
- Better overall placement scenario is observed in NITs. The grading system is also better in NITs as compared to BITS. If you put in the same efforts, you’ll fetch a better CGPA in NITs as compared to that in BITS.
- NITs have an illustrious alumni base compared to BITS. And alumni indeed play an important role in the ranking and development of any college.
Now, take a look at the rankings of these two institutes in India:-
- BITS Pilani
- Top tier NITs – Trichy, Warangal, Surathkal, etc.
- Second tier NITs – Calicut
- BITS Hyderabad
- BITS Goa
- Third tier NITs – Newly-established ones.
So, depending on your ranks in JEE Mains and BITSAT, figure out which college you need to aim for. Then, ask yourself these few crucial questions to make the final decision:
- Which college is closer to home?
- What’s the fee structure in both the colleges?
- Does BITS give you value for money?
- Am I interested in the flexible curriculum BITS has?
Whether you choose BITS or NIT, both institutes offer different sets of opportunities, challenges and unique environments for your overall development. Make the best use of every available opportunity, and you shall definitely succeed.
All the Best!