COMEDK, the “Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka” organizes an entrance exam, UGET for selecting meritorious students for pursuing their courses in B.E./MBBS/B.D.S. at the member institutions of the consortium in Karnataka. The test consists of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and English MCQ papers written on the same day. The exam’s syllabus is directly derived from the 12th Standard syllabus of the Karnataka board (which is not very different from other boards).
With COMEDK 2018 scheduled to be held on 13th May, it leaves you with only 2 months if you haven’t already started your preparations. Following are some of Toppr’s tips and tricks to prepare for the exam in the last 3 months:
1. Practice Managing Time
COMEDK is a time-based test. To solve 60 questions in 1 hour (making it a question a minute) is a difficult task. Achieving this speed will be difficult particularly for engineering aspirants (PCM). Hence, it is important to first solve the easier questions/the questions from the concepts the candidate is strong in. Building the skill of judging the level of question asked is necessary to maximize your marks given the time constraint.
2. Solve a sample paper weekly
Solve a sample paper a week by timing it yourself. This is how you build up your speed for the actual exam. Solving sample papers helps you adjust to examination conditions and also lets you evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Your recollection speed of concepts would also improve this way.
While preparing, write down the important concepts you feel the need to come back to, no matter how easy or difficult the topic is. Once you are done with the preparation of that topic, refer to these notes that you’ve prepared to strengthen your roots.
4. Stick to the syllabus
There wouldn’t be any out of the blue questions in COMEDK 2018. You should concentrate on the specified syllabus and not leave any topics covered under it. To sum it up, you should stick to the syllabus during preparation.
5.Important Topics for COMEDK 2018:
- Physics – Magnetic Effects and magnetism, Semiconductor devices, Electrostatics and Current Electricity, Heat and Thermodynamics, Simple Harmonic Motion, Nuclear Physics.
- Chemistry – General Organic Chemistry, Coordination compounds, Biomolecules, Chemical Kinetics and Thermodynamics, s-Block elements, p-Block elements and d-Block elements.
- Biology – Genetics, Systematics. Reproduction in Higher Plants, Cell, Chemical Coordination.
- English – Synonyms and Antonyms, Reading Comprehension, Voice (Active-Passive) will have about 6 questions each. Other important topics would be Idioms and Phrases, Determiners, Tenses, Sentence Completion which can have about 5 questions each.
- Mathematics – Probability, Vectors, 3D geometry, Sets, Relations and Functions, Calculus (Limits, Definite and Indefinite Integration, Continuity and Differentiability).
We have arrived at the above topics by analyzing past exam papers. However, a student should try to solve them on their own to get a feel of the time management and stress levels that will eventually prepare them for cracking the exam.
Lastly, not a tip, but an advice would be to not panic before the exam. It is important to maintain your cool with your preparation at all times. Be sincere and you will be rewarded.
Read here for all the information you need on COMEDK. Toppr wishes you the very best for COMEDK 2018.