Company Secretary Courses are on a rising demand as of recent years! Moreover, the company secretary course is a rather challenging course. Because career as a Company Secretary is not only prestigious, it is also financially rewarding and provides a high level of job satisfaction. Job satisfaction is a crucial luxury that many employees seek out to find. A career as a Company Secretary definitely provides it.
What are the 3 stages of the Company Secretary Course?
There are three stages that are a part of the company secretary (CS) course. They are as follows:
- Foundation program
- Executive program
- Professional program
Students who wish to pursue Company Secretary as their career after completing class 12, can apply for the foundation program. However, the executive program is for all graduates in all fields of specialization, except for fine arts. Lastly, any person who has completed the intermediate exam of the CS course can apply for the professional program.
The student who would like to join this CS Course after 10+2 have to undergo three stages to pursue the Company Secretaries Course. They are the foundation program, the executive program and the professional program. In addition, the student will have to undergo 15 months of practical training, which a student may opt to start after passing the Executive Program.
Students who wish to join the Course after passing the under graduation has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship. They are the executive program and the professional program respectively. In addition, it is mandatory for the student to undergo practical training for about 15 months.
Every student will have to undergo 15 months of Management Training in companies that the Institute sponsors. However, this can be done only after passing the Executive or Professional Program or under the guidance of a Company Secretary in Practice. After successful completion of the professional exam and training, a candidate gets admission as an Associate Member of the ICSI.
Documents required for CS Foundation Registration
Please note that before you go ahead with the online registration, you need to know certain pointers. Your registration is not complete soft copies of documents on to the website. Therefore, make sure to have the following:
- Candidate’s photograph
- Candidate’s signature
- DOB Certificate as per the 10th Pass Certificate
- Roll Number (if appearing in 10+2)
- 12th Passing certificate or Mark sheet
- Category Certificate (SC/ST/ OR Physically Handicapped Category)
Furthermore, please ensure that the documents are only in the following formats. If not, you will not be able to upload the documents.
- The file format is jpg, jpeg, png, gif, bmp
- Size of Student Photo should be between 20KB – 50KB
- File sizes of documents do not exceed 5 MB
- Size of Student Signature should be between 10KB – 20KB
Please follow the below step to access your registered account:
1. Click on ‘online services’ button located on the top of the ICSI website (http://www.icsi.edu/)
2. Thereafter, click on the ‘login’ button
3. Enter your Username and Password
4. After Login, Go to ‘Students’ and then click “My Account”
5. Click on “Manage Account”
6. Upload documents at the ‘certificate details’ tab given under manage account option.
7. And finally, once you upload all the mandatory documents, the applications are checked at Directorate of Student Services. Once it is found OK, it gets approval. If any discrepancies are found, then the student is informed by e-mail to complete all the requirement.
What are the subjects included in the Company Secretary Course?
There are four core subjects in the Company Secretary Foundation Program. They are as follows:
- Business Environment and Entrepreneurship
- Fundamental of Accounting and Auditing
- Business Management Ethics and Communication
- Business Economics
However, the CS Foundation Registration is always open throughout the year. Also, the candidates who have registered by the month of March are eligible to take the Foundation examination in December.
There are two core modules in the Company Secretary Executive Program. They are as follows:
- Module 1: Company Law; Cost and Management Accounting; Economic and Commercial Laws; Tax Laws and Practice.
- Module 2: Company Accounts and Auditing Practices; Capital Markets and Securities Laws; Industrial, Labor and General Laws.
There are three core modules in the Company Secretary Professional Program. They are as follows:
- Module 1: Advanced Company Law and Practice; Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management, and Due Diligence; Corporate Restructuring, Valuation, and Insolvency.
- Module 2: Information Technology and Systems Audit; Financial, Treasury and Forex Management; Ethics, Governance, and Sustainability.
- Module 3: Advanced Tax Laws and Practice; Drafting, Appearances, and Pleading.
- Electives: Banking Law and Practice; Capital, Commodity and Money Market; Insurance Law and Practice; Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice; International Business-Laws and Practices.
What is the medium of the Company Secretary Examination?
The Association, however, allows students to take this exam in any 1 of the 2 languages. Furthermore, in other words, the Company Secretary Examination is in the English language as well as in Hindi. However the Business Communication subject in the Foundation Program.
Furthermore, a student is required to complete the Executive and the Professional examination within the registration period. And, on payment of requisite fees, you can renew or extend the validity of registration for the further period.
Advantages of the Company Secretary Course
Following are some of the merits of taking up and completing the company secretary course:
- Taking up this professional course, students get a professional designation after completion of the course.
- However, you can also prepare for the CS exam along with your graduation course. This makes the Company Secretary Course all the more versatile and flexible.
- Furthermore, the Company Secretary Professionals can traverse into many fields after acquiring the CS qualification like Management, Chartered Accountancy, Insurance, Stock Markets, Law, Financial analysis etc.
- Being a Company Secretary you will get a chance to interact with higher authorities.
- Also, you will always be up to date with the new changes that are taking place in the corporate sector on a daily basis.
- Due to the introduction of Companies Act of 2013, people with the CS qualification will always have demand.
- Moreover, the Company Secretary Course is recognized by various Universities for admissions into their PhD Course.
Roles learned by the end of the Company Secretary Course
- Reporting to the Board about compliance with the provisions of the company’s Act.
- Ensuring that the firm complies with the applicable secretarial standards.
- Providing guidance to the directors of the company, as they may require, with regard to their power, duties and responsibilities.
- Responsible for all regulatory compliances of the company.
- Collaborating and advising the Board in ensuring good corporate governance and encouraging the firm to follow healthy practices.
This was our article on Company Secretary Course.