A Complete NIT List
The National Institutes of Technology are located in 31 places across the country. They are autonomous and were declared as institutes of national importance in 2007. The NIT Council is the governing body of the network that contains top-ranked engineering colleges of the nation. The degrees offered by all the NITs are at bachelor, masters and doctorate level comprising of various streams like engineering, science architecture and management.
The following is the list of the various NITs:
|Serial No||Name||Short Name||Place|
|21||NIT Arunachal Pradesh||NITAP||Yupia|
|22||NIT Delhi||NITD||New Delhi|
|31||NIT Andhra Pradesh||NITANP||Tadepalligudem|
The NIT Council works under the President of India who is an ex officio visitor. The NIT Council includes the Chairmen, Directors of all NITs as well as the Minister in charge of technical education in the Government of India. It further includes the Chairman of UGC, the Director of CSIR, MPs, AICTE, JCS of Ministry of Human Resource Development and Nominees of the Government.
The NITs are autonomous universities and hence have their own specific curriculum. This means that they are in an advantageous position to change their syllabus to meet the dynamic needs of the corporate as well as the academic sector.
The NITs are well equipped with books in their libraries, that not only have books to aid class lectures, but a wide range of books of other domain to enable all round development. There are online journals that can be availed by means of the e-library. Every student of NIT institute also has the liberty to browse through IEEE journals. Each NIT follows a credit-based system, which is based of a weighted average system.
The most common degree in the NIT UG course is the B.Tech degree. Only a few institutes offer a BArch and BS degree too, but it is not omnipresent. There are a number of postgraduate courses including M.Tech, MBA, MSc and MCA. Some institutes also offer an MS degree, which is by research. NITs have a program of dual degree that is completed in 4 years and includes both BTech and MTech. As far as Doctorate is concerned, TA (Teaching Assistantship) and RA (Research Assistantship) are provided often too.
Each NIT provides students with on campus hostel facility which, is well equipped with TV Rooms, game rooms, wi-fi connectivity, and reading material. The hostel also has a cafeteria that keeps changing its menu to keep the students interested. There are athletic space for field sports, as well as indoor and water activities. NITs have societies and clubs to ensure that the students get the necessary exposure as well. There are societies like NSS, NCC, ISTE, Hobby Club, Music Club, Debate Club, Literary Club, Web Designing Club etc.
The following table shows the ranking of NITs amongst all institutes and among all NITs as well:
|Name of the Institute||City||NIRF Ranking (Among all Institutes)||NIRF Ranking (Among all NITs)|
|Motilal Nehru NIT||Allahabad||41||5|
|Sardar Vallabhbhai NIT||Surat||50||8|
|Maulana Azad NIT||Bhopal||61||13|
This ranking is based on several factors like learning resource, research practice, graduation outcome, inclusivity etc. This ranking is done so as to enable the students to get a comprehensive idea about the various institutes and what their standing is, nationally.
An overview of the top 5 NITs
- NIT Tiruchirappalli, TN: It is located in a campus spread over 80 acres offering UG degree in 10 and PG degree in 21 streams. It has 16 departments and over 300 faculties. It is well connected to both the railway station and the airport.
- NIT Rourkela, Odisha: It has been placed in the 401-500 rank in Times World ranking of Universities for the Engineering and Technology category. It is about 7 kms from the station and has been given the 10th place in the Indian University criterion.
- NIT Surathkal, Karnataka: It is spread over 295 acres and is self sufficient in every manner. It has 14 departments and more than 200 faculties supported by 300 staff members.
- NIT Warangal, Telangana: This NIT is spread over 265 acres of land and offers 8 UG programs and 29 PG programs and is known for its R&D, Consultancy, Training programs etc. It has 13 departments and numerous research centers.
- NIT Allahabad, UP: It offers 9 UG Courses and 19 PG courses to its students. It is recognized as a center for Quality Improvement Program for both M.Tech and Ph. D, by the government.
Read more about NIT admissions here.