Department of Management Studies – IIT Roorkee
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is a premier institution of engineering and technology in India. The first engineering institution set up in India in 1847, IIT Roorkee has acquired a world-wide reputation of being among the foremost centres of excellence. In recognition of its distinguished record in imparting quality education, it was elevated to the position of the first autonomous University of Independent India in 1949. In the year 2001, it was rechristened as Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. The Institute has about 4500 students in 19 academic departments/centres of Engineering and Technology, Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences and Management.
In the contemporary environment of rapidly evolving global business and commerce, a new knowledge driven society is emerging and revolutionising the acumen needed for managers. Recognising this, the then University of Roorkee established the Department of Management Studies in 1998 to impart high quality formal education in management science through a comprehensive 2 year regular MBA programme.
The Department of Management Studies has, over a short period, acquired and developed adequate infrastructure, expertise and resources to excel in imparting management education. The Department is housed in an exquisitely designed double storeyed building with four spacious lecture rooms, a large computer laboratory, a double storeyed library with 6100 books, syndicate and committee halls, an auditorium with teaching aids and a large central atrium. An excellent departmental library and a state of the art computer laboratory augment the centralised resources available to students at the Institute level. The Department is Wi-Fi enabled.
Presently, the Department offers dual specialization in any two of the following:
(iii) Information Technology
(v) Human Resource Management.
Located on a lush 350-acre campus about 170 Kms. from Delhi, the Institute has adequate infrastructural facilities. Roorkee’s proximity to Delhi enables the Department to draw expert visiting faculty from the metropolis. On visiting the campus, one is impressed by the elegance of the main building in the Renaissance style of architecture, spacious lawns and sports grounds. The campus environment is congenial for academics and offers excellent opportunities for extra curricular activities. The campus is aesthetically designed and consists of modern auditoriums, a well-stocked library, a 24-hour computer center, dinning halls and mess, canteens, banks, post- office and a railway reservation center.
The department is housed in an exclusively designed double storeyed structure and has an excellent infrastructure to provide students with necessary requisites to experience maximum learning and development. An exclusive library houses some of the most cherished literature of the corporate world and state-of-the-art class rooms boast of having some of the best learning aids. Classrooms coupled with modern infrastructure provide a stimulating academic environment and an effective pedagogy further sets a platform conducive to nurturing the best breed of managerial talent.
- Over 50 networked nodes through TCP/IP based high speed LAN
- 45 Mbps leased line, 5.2 VSAT line with internet connectivity in a distributed environment
- All nodes connected through 10/100 Ethernet LAN SCO UNIX open server, which includes licenses for software (SCO Xvision 97, Sun JAVA, JDK, Netscape Enterprise Server etc.)
- Application Development Software (Visual Basic 6.0, Power Builder 6.0, Visual C++ 5.0, Designer/Developer 2000 and Visual J++)
- All Hostels are Wi-fi enabled for internet and intranet connectivity. In addition Cyber Cafe equipped with 20 computers are functional in all hostels
- Library & Information Centre, E-Notice Board, online registration and online placement portals
- Latest books and journals
- Extensive Internet surfing facility
- Access to over 1000 journals, updated monthly
- Online access to PROWESS, Capitalinedatabase
- CD ROMS of reputed national and international journals and class lectures
- Access to the Institute’s computerized Central Library, equipped with over 2,75,000 titles and thousands of national and international journals
- The Information Super Highway Centre provides an exclusive communication platform for students of the institute with distinctive features viz. Internet and Intranet connectivity
- ATM based optical fiber WAN, comprehensive voice, video and data connectivity through NICNET and ERNET, PARAM 10000 super computer for parallel computing
- Well equipped reading room in the department
- Table Tennis
- Basket Ball
- Lawn Tennis
- Himalayan Explorers Club
- Hobbies Club
- Boat Club
- Swimming Pool
- Sports Stadium
Academics and Placements
Here is the Final Placement Brochure for the year 2017.
Master of Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) at IIT Roorkee is a 4-semester residential regular program spread over two academic years. The course structure is designed to impart knowledge of the core management concepts and techniques in the first year which is, thereafter, upgraded to advanced knowledge and practice skills in the areas of specialization opted for by the students in the final year.
The Department offers dual specialization in any two of the following:
- Information Technology
- Human Resource Management
You can find the complete course structure, here.
Ph.D. The Department of Management Studies is involved with in-depth research work in the different functional areas of management. The Department has facilities for Doctoral research for aspiring and meritorious students both under full time and part time modes. Fellowships are available in line with the Institute norms. Faculty members are actively engaged in research in the contemporary areas of management science like Corporate Restructuring, Accounting Systems, Financial Regulations, Business Excellence, Emerging Markets, Financial Derivatives, Risk Management, Portfolio Theory etc.
Department Postal Address:
Dr. Zillur Rahman
Head, Department of Management Studies
Indian Institute of Technology
For more such articles follow us here.