Flexible seating is warm and comfortable classrooms. In addition, they have couches, mats, and other seating’s. It increases watchfulness in kids. The system of flexible seating gets rid of old seating plan. Apart from that, the design of the class should match the teacher and subject.
In a Flexible seating classroom, traditional seating is replaced with a more flexible one. Flexible seating allows students to sit where they choose to be. It also removes the number of inactive periods of time. Also, this idle sitting is dangerous to health.
Flexible seating classrooms allow students to choose their seats. In addition, gives them the freedom to move freely. Furthermore, it also allows students to decide to work in different position and heights.
Benefits of Flexible Seating Classrooms
Flexible seating plan is a modern concept. It was designed to facilitate learning. Also, it changes the old boring look or the classroom. Furthermore, they have various options for seating. There are many benefits of the flexible classroom. Which we list here:
- It gives students the freedom to move furniture.
- They have a large variety of furniture options like couches, mats, bean bag, yoga balls, etc.
- It provides the chance to work in a group or alone.
- Uses technology for some creative setting.
- Improves the health and fitness of students.
What does the Research Say?
Flexible seating allows free movement for health and fitness. Also, it helps their brain too. Carla Hannaford in her book Smart Moves, Why Learning is Not All in your Head suggest something. That is when students move around in class, they can better anchor new information and experience in a neural network.
A former teacher and now a researcher Eric Jensen in a report concluded that movement increase heart rate and blood flow enhance spatial learning, counteracts excessive sitting, etc. He also suggests that students should also sit in different postures like squatting and lying down.
5 Tips for Flexible Seating Classroom
For anyone to try it some points should be considered:
- Keep simplicity: Parents guardians and school administrative staff should be updated about the changes in class.
- Should be suitable: Different subject and different classes require, unlike the environment. For third grade, comfortable chairs and rugs are more suitable. And for middle school traditional seating will be more fitting.
- Work together with others: share your ideas and interests with other teachers. This will help both of you in getting more resourceful ideas.
- Do changes slowly: Start with small changes. If it works likewise then make bigger changes.
- Allot spaces, if required: New environment will open up more interaction and movement. It can also cause some behavioral changes in students. Either set a fixed place for them or keep them on rotation. This will help in avoiding conflicts.
- It should be complete: The teacher should be able to adopt any changes. Otherwise, changing the furniture will not accomplish anything. Teachers have to change their teaching methods also.
- It requires rules: Make some easy and basic rules for the class to follow. Otherwise, it will be a waste of time and energy.
Flexible seating classrooms are very helpful. Firstly, if they are used properly then they will help in learning. Secondly, it helps to stay fit and healthy both physically and mentally. Thirdly, students find comfortable positions throughout the classroom. Fourthly, Students are calmer, relaxed, pays attention and creative. Lastly, it cut off the traditional desk system.