Journalism is an immensely popular and highly respected career choice. It takes a certain bent of mind to want to be a journalist. An uncompromising attitude, the willingness to work hard and not give up, and a sharp mind are necessary for anyone who wishes to become a journalist. There is a digital media boom going on all across the world. New age startups are quickly taking over the internet and bringing breaking news in a matter of seconds. The internet has changed the way people consume news, so if you wish to become a journalist then you must be familiar with this changing landscape as well.
If you wish to become a journalist, then there are a few things that you will need to keep in mind:
Make sure you are eligible – The minimum eligibility for becoming a journalist is completing your formal schooling, i.e. 12th standard. Of course higher education will certainly help you get a better job with a more popular news agency, but at the bare minimum you must successfully complete your schooling.
Acquire the right skills – Whether you want to write using English, Hindi, or your regional language, you must make sure you have an excellent knowledge of the language along with its many nuances. Also make sure you are familiar with the many writing styles and how to create a standard write-up.
Join a news house as a trainee or intern – Once you are ready to start your career as a journalist, now you must get the relevant work experience. Join a media house where you will get to work at the news desk. Chances are that you will need to work as a trainee for at least a couple of years before you get to start working as a reporter.
Improve your chances of succeeding as a journalist
Like it or not, studying at a reputed college and performing well does offer benefits and privileges which you will miss out on if you study in a relatively unknown college. So if your heart is set on becoming a journalist, make sure that you try to get into one of the top 10 colleges for journalism in India.
1. Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad – Also called MICA, this is the premier school of journalism and mass communication in the country.
2. Asian College of Journalism – If you want to learn about journalism from an international perspective while also wanting to be intimately familiar with the Indian side of it, then this is one of the best colleges in the country for it. Finest post graduate program for journalism in India!
3. The Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media – This Bangalore based college is where you want to be if a career as a new age digital media journalist is what you desire! Not only will you emerge ready to work for any leading brand, you are also virtually assured a great job and attractive salary.
4. Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication, Pune – Go beyond simple journalism and become an expert in media handling and production as well, thanks to the amazing media training program that SIMC offers.
5. The Indian Institute of Mass Communication – The Delhi based institute is the oldest on this list and also a government organisation where you can get journalism education that is stellar yet affordable.
There you have it! If becoming a news reporter is what you want to do in your life, then the way ahead of you should be cleared now. Get the right education, collect the right experience and you may very well become the next Ravish Sharma or Barkha Dutt!
If you are into journalism, check out what you need to do to become a journalist here.