The JEE Coaching Business:
Just rewind a bit: when India learnt of the death of a young girl who jumped off a building. The shocking bit? This student from Delhi had cleared JEE, but she apparently took her life because she was not satisfied with her results. Thanks to the peer pressure and the advent of coaching classes, this has been going on for a decade now. Among many other things, this can be attributed to the extremely competitive environment set up in JEE coaching business.
Many successive governments have come and gone without really making an effort to curb the unhealthy environment in coaching institutes. Except for a few counselling sessions, when the media heat is on, no significant Centre-state government have made efforts to address the JEE coaching business menace.
At a time like this, the recent move by the BJP government to come up with an IIT preparation App and release solved question papers of all JEE held in the last 50 years, comes as a huge respite for those who aspire to crack IIT.
Measures Planned by Smriti Irani’s HRD Ministry to Curb the JEE Coaching business
- Release solved question papers of all joint entrance examinations held in the last 50 years free-of-cost through an IIT-Pal portal and mobile app. *This content will be available in 13 languages.
- Prepare questions for JEE exams keeping in mind the Class XII syllabus to reduce the difficulty level of the JEE
- Ask IITs to help aspirants with video and audio lectures
- Take action against fake coaching classes who harass students to cough up money in the middle of academic session without any disclosure
All the candidates who are studying in universities/ institutes across the nation like Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and other premier engineering institutes can now have readily available study material for exam preparation. Any student can access the online content any time of the day. The government intends to give equal opportunity to all students to be able to crack IITs without – or with minimum reliance on – the coaching institutes.
Features of the Online Study Material
- The study material will be available free of cost through various media channels like YouTube and three free-to-air TV channels to be launched by Doordarshan.
- As per reports, the launch was announced on August 15.
- Also, regular assignments and tests will be a part of the material.
- In order to answer online queries, an 8 am to 8 pm helpline will also be launched.
- There would also be live content streaming for four hours daily over internet platforms and DTH.
Right now, it is extremely difficult even for the brightest student to get through IIT without coaching. This initiative of making the study material online will certainly reduce that need.
Details of the Execution Procedure
- At least 10 teachers have been assigned for the project.
- Also, the government is putting in efforts to engage more teachers from IITs, Kendriya Vidyalayas, retirees and professors.
- Regular tests and assignments will be conducted online on Massive Online Open Courses (MOOC) on ‘Swayam’ platform.
- Moreover, top 100 JEE rankers will also be sharing tips and tricks to solve the questions in less time.
One of the biggest pressures today is the IIT entrance exam, for which many students have to learn outside the classroom. So, candidates land up joining various coaching institutions only to pass the JEE exam. The measures mentioned above should reduce stress among students who are aspiring for engineering institutes. If the Test App developed is well-designed and functional, students will no longer have to pay fat fees to the coaching institutes.
In a nutshell, coaching for IIT will become accessible on fingertips. The online study material is student-friendly because of multiple languages. It will also be a cost-effective solution to students’ problems and free of any harassment by private institutes. Students will no longer have to move a different city from their hometowns, away from parents, friends or relatives for preparing in a high-pressure environment all alone.
Because of all this, and much more, it remains to be seen whether JEE coaching classes will survive in the long run.
So, if you’re gearing up for IIT, this is certainly some good news. Let’s just hope that the government’s decision will help curb the coaching institute menace, and instil fresh hope in the lives of students.