IIIT Bhubaneswar- All you need to know!
The “International Institute of Information Technology, Bhubaneswar” (IIIT Bhubaneswar) is a world-class institute of Information Technology in the state of Odisha. The Institute was established and registered as a society in November 2006 and started its operations in September 2007. IIIT BBSR was converted to a University by the Government of Odisha in January 2014. Located in Gothapatna, Bhubaneswar, the institute is a UGC recognized Unitary Technical University with a governance structure identical to the IITs. The management of the Institute is overseen by a governing body comprising of members of the Government of Odisha, pioneers from the IT industry, and prominent educationalists.
In this article, today, we’re bringing to you all the information that you need about IIIT Bhubaneswar such as the rankings, courses offered, placements, fee structure, and much more.
So read on!
IIIT Bhubaneswar Academics
The Institute has the departments of studies:
IIIT Bhubaneswar Courses Offered
IIIT Bhubaneswar offers Undergraduate and Post Graduate programs in the following disciplines of Engineering:
B. Tech. programs offered at IIIT Bhubaneswar
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Information Technology
- Electronics and Communication
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
M. Tech. programs offered at IIIT Bhubaneswar
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
Doctoral Programs offered at IIIT Bhubaneswar
- Computer Science
- Electronics Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Business Management
IIIT Bhubaneswar Admissions
The admissions to the B. Tech. programs of IIIT BBR are based solely on the merit list prepared from the JEE-Main examination i.e. your total marks secured in paper 1 of the JEE Main examination.
The IIIT BBR admission process consists of the following five stages:
- Online Application
- Document Verification
- Round-wise Online Provisional Seat Allotment
- Seat Acceptance, and
- Reporting at the Institute for the Final Admission Formalities
The table below contains the important dates in the IIIT BBR admission event calendar:
|Online Application- start date||28th April 2017|
|Online Application- last date for regular B. Tech.||26th May 2017|
|Last date for receiving the hard copy of the Online Application||4th June 2017|
|Verification of Documents for the ‘S’ and ‘OL’ Category Candidates||2nd to 9th June 2017|
|Publication of Provisional Allotment (first round) for regular B. Tech.||20th June 2017|
IIIT Bhubaneswar Eligibility Criteria
- It’s imperative that you check your eligibility for IIIT BBR before you proceed to fill out the application form. The eligibility criteria for the IIT BBR B. Tech. programs are almost identical to the JEE Main with a few added requirements.
The IIT BBR eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The candidate must have secured minimum 60% aggregate percentage of marks or 6.32 CGPA in the Class 10 Board Examination.
- The candidates must have secured minimum 60% aggregate percentage of marks in Plus 2 Science. The aggregate percentage of marks are (marks secured/total marks) X 100.
- The candidate must have scored at least 45% or more in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics each.
- There is a 5% relaxation in the required marks for the SC/ST category candidates.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Application Process
The aspiring candidates can apply online for admission to IIIT BBR by visiting the IIIT BBR official website. Please note that the applications are accepted only in the online mode. The application fee is Rs. 1000/- (non-refundable). You need to keep the details of your payment ready at the time of filling the online application form as you’ll be asked to enter the transaction details in the application form.
Given below is the step-by-step procedure to apply for IIIT Bhubaneswar:
- Firstly, you need to register with your valid e-mail id.
- You will see a four-digit numeric passcode which can be used as the password on the same site to log in. Remember, your User Id is your registered E-mail address.
- You can make pay the application fee only in the online mode.
- Now, you can proceed to fill out the application form. Once you’re done, click on the ‘Submit’ tab at the end of the page. You are allowed to edit the form using this login.
- Make sure that you click on the ‘Commit’ tab only when you’ve filled all the required fields and when you’re sure of the accuracy of the information entered. You can’t edit the form after clicking on the ‘Commit’ tab.
- Ensure that you submit the application form before the last date.
- You can take a printout of the application form and send it to IIIT Bhubaneswar along with the necessary documents like the photocopy of your JEE Main Admit Card and JEE Main Rank Card, your online transaction slip, and one passport size photograph.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Seat Matrix
IIT BBR has a 50% seat reservation for the Odisha State Category (“S”) students. The remaining seats come under the Open to All (“OTA category”). Please note that a state category student is also automatically eligible for the OTA category seats.
Given below is the category-wise seat matrix for the various B. Tech. programs offered at IIIT BBR.
|Branch||Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)||Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
|Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE)||Information Technology (IT)||Computer Engineering (CE)|
The Odisha Government sets the norms for the reservation applicable for various sub-categories under the “S” category such as Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, Physically Challenged, Green Card, Ex-Servicemen, etc. Other than these reservations, 5% extra of the permissible strength in each branch is reserved for the candidates from the ‘tuition waiver scheme’ under the “S” category.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Fee structure
In this section, you can check the fee structure for the various B. Tech. programs offered by IIIT BBR from the table given below
|Particulars||1st Year||2nd Year||3rd Year||4th Year|
|Tuition Fee||66,000 Per Semester||73,000 Per Semester||80,000 Per Semester||88,000 Per Semester|
|Library & IT Services||6500 Per Semester||7000 Per Semester||7000 Per Semester||7500 Per Semester|
|University Registration Fee||5000 (One-Time)||–||–||–|
|Institute Caution Deposit||13,000 (One-Time & Refundable)||–||–||–|
|Examination Fee||1750 Per Semester||2000 Per Semester||2000 Per Semester||2250 Per Semester|
|Student Welfare||1000 Per Semester||1200 Per Semester||1200 Per Semester||1500 Per Semester|
|Placement Fee||1500 Per Semester||1750 Per Semester||1750 Per Semester||2000 Per Semester|
|Hostel Accommodation||9000 Per Semester||10,000 Per Semester||10,000 Per Semester||12,000 Per Semester|
|Mess- Fixed Overhead Charges (Applicable to all)||2250 Per Semester||2250 Per Semester||2250 Per Semester||2250 Per Semester|
|Power Back-up Charges||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals|
|Life & Health Insurance||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals|
|Bus Fee (For Hostel Boarders Only)||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals||On Actuals|
Please note that all the above fee charges are in INR and do not include other charges such as mess meal charges, supplies, stationery, travel, etc. which are to be borne individually by the students.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Documents required for Counselling
Please find below a list of documents that you need carry at the time of the IIIT BBR document verification process:
- Class 10 mark sheet and pass certificate in original as well as copies.
- Class 12 marks sheet and pass certificate in original as well as copies.
- Printout of the online application form bearing the candidate’s signature.
- JEE Main Score Card in original as well as copies.
- JEE Main Admit Card in original as well as copies.
- The certificate of nativity in original as per appendix-I of the Information Brochure.
- Appendix VI of the Information Brochure in the original.
- The Income Certificate for the tuition fee waiver candidates in original as per appendix III of the Information Brochure.
- Category certificate for the SC/ST candidates in original as per Appendix II of the Information Brochure.
- Appendix IV of the Information Brochure in original for the OL category candidates.
- Original as well as a copy of the Green Card of the candidate’s parents issued by the Family Welfare Department, Government of Odisha or any other appropriate authority for the GC category candidates.
- Appendix V of the Information Brochure in original for the ES category candidates.
- Certificate of Disability issued by a competent authority of the Government of Odisha not below the rank of CDMO for the PC category candidates.
- The college leaving certificate in original as well as copies.
All the original mark sheets and certificates except the appendices will be returned to the candidate post verification.
IIIT Bhubaneswar previous years cutoffs
The cut off marks are the minimum marks that a candidate needs to secure in order to qualify for admission to IIIT Bhubaneswar. The table given below shows the category-wise IIIT BBR cut off marks 2016 for the first round and the final round.
IIIT BBR Cut off 2016: First Round
|Branch||OTA||S (UR)||S (URW)|
IIIT BBR Cut off 2016: Final Round
|Branch||OTA||S (UR)||S (URW)|
IIIT Bhubaneswar Placements
Within a short span of time, IIIT BBR has started attracting some of the top recruiters in the country to its campus. The placement percentage and the number of students placed have been on the rise year-on-year. The table given below highlights the highest and lowest packages offered to IIIT BBR students in the recent past.
|Lowest Package Offered||3.05 Lakhs Per Annum||3.25 Lakhs Per Annum|
|Highest Package Offered||11.8 Lakhs Per Annum||9 Lakhs Per Annum|
Some of the most prestigious employers like IBM, DELL, Samsun, Amazon, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, Zycus, Snapdeal, etc. frequent the IIIT BBR campus for their human resource needs.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Rankings
IIIT BBR has emerged as a leading institute of Engineering and Information Technology in Odisha. Ranked at 50 by Edu Rand in 2015, IIT BBR is definitely among the top 10 engineering institutes of Odisha.
IIIT Bhubaneswar Campus & nearby places
The IIIT BBR campus Institute is located in Gothapatna on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar. It’s a compact 23-acre campus replete with all modern amenities such as classrooms, laboratories, Library, hostels, living quarters for the faculty members, sports facilities, auditorium, and much more. The Institute also has various educational institutes in its neighborhood such as BIMTECH, IMI, and research organizations such as Nalco Research Centre & STPI. The IIIT BBR campus is designed to be environmentally sensitive, student-friendly, and to nurture communities. The campus is identified by several arteficts such as the Infinite Pond, the Court Yard, the Tranquillity Center, Nature’s arc, the Scholar’s arc, the Medicinal Lane, the Orchard Lane, the Celebration Plaza, etc.
The Institute has two hostels housing more than 1600 students. Each hostel comprises of single, double, and triple-bedded rooms which are attractive with modern designs. The rooms have all the necessary day-to-day utilities such as washing machines, geysers, etc. The hostels have a common room for watching TV, TT and carom room, Hostel Library, and a modern and hygienic mess for students.
IIIT BBR has numerous laboratories as needed by the curriculum. Additionally, the Institute has built research-oriented laboratories with own funding. Some of these labs are the High- Performance Computing Lab, Mobile App development Lab, Image & Video Processing Lab, IOT Lab, Optical Communications Lab, etc. There are also labs funded by the Central Government agencies like the CLIA lab, Bio-informatics Lab, Information Securities Lab, etc.
The Central Library of IIIT BBR is an important academic infrastructure of the Institute. It boasts a large and diverse collection of books and is distinguished by a large collection of Titles, Journals, e-Books, Multimedia content, a Text Book library, etc.
Information Technology Infrastructure
IIIT BBR has a state-of-the-art IT infrastructure on the campus which is service oriented. The features of IIIT BBR’s IT infrastructure include the Campus network reaching every corner of the campus, Fast Internet access, Servers to support a variety of services, a large software library of development tools, analytical software, simulation software, etc. The Institute has PCs and Notebooks for everyone including the faculty, students, and the staff members.
The Institute has four mini auditoriums to host guest lectures, interaction meetings, technical events, industry interactions, and seminars. These auditoriums have a seating capacity ranging from 150 to 300 people and are equipped with modern audio-visual presentation equipment. The Institute has an open-air theater to host large-scale events with an audience exceeding 5000 in numbers.
Finally, life is not all about academics and studies at IIIT BBR. The Institute provides adequate outdoor playing facilities for students. These sports facilities include Tennis courts, Basketball courts, Volleyball courts, cricket & football fields, and a putting green.
To sum up, we can safely say that IIIT Bhubaneswar offers an ideal mix of academic excellence and extra-curricular activities for the pursuit of your academic goals and the development of a well-rounded personality.