The Indian Institutes of Technology have long been considered as one of the best engineering institutions in the world. They follow global standards when it comes to educating their students. IITs are located in various parts of our country with new additions in recent years. Admission to any IIT is done on the basis of rank in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced. JEE Advanced-2016 was conducted on 22nd May 2016. But not everybody gets what he/she wants. Different IITs have different cut off marks for different undergraduate programs they offer to the students same as IIT Guwahati. IIT cut-offs change every year as per the results of the students.
IIT Guwahati is one of the popular IITs in the country. So, if you are seeking admission in IIT Guwahati, it is important to learn about the cut-off marks. Though cut off statistics changes every year, approximate estimations can be noted with the last year.
If your aim is to enter IIT Guwahati, you need to achieve a particular rank.In this article, we bring you all the info about IIT G which includes placements, cutoffs, fees, and much more to help you set your goals accordingly.
IIT Guwahati offers four year B. Tech. courses in the following disciplines:
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Science & Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mathematics & Computing
IIT Guwahati offers postgraduate programs leading to the M. Tech. Degree that involves two years (two-semester coursework and two-semester project work) program in the following departments:
|Biosciences & Engineering||Biotechnology|
|Chemical Engineering||1) Petroleum Science & Technology
2) Materials Science & Technology
|Civil Engineering||1) Structural Engineering
2) Water Resources Engineering & Management
3) Geotechnical Engineering
4) Environmental Engineering
5) Transportation System Engineering
6) Infrastructure Engineering & Management
7) Earth System Science & Engineering
|Computer Science & Engineering||Computer Science & Engineering|
|Electronics & Electrical Engineering||1) Signal Processing]
3) Power & Control
4) Communication Engineering
5) RF & Photonics
|Mechanical Engineering||1) Machine Design
2) Fluids & Thermal Engineering
3) Computer Assisted Manufacturing
4) Computational Mechanics
5) Aerodynamics & Propulsion
|Center for Rural Technology||Rural Technology|
Centre for Energy
Established in 2004, the center’s objective is to promote multidisciplinary activities focused on various aspects of energy technology and systems in the form of research, teaching, and consultancy. The center’s research activities are funded by various national and international funding agencies. Currently, 17 faculty members from different departments are involved in energy research projects.
Centre for Environment
IIT Guwahati has always assumed a proactive role in with new directions and concerns emerging from various day-to-day environmental problems. In 2004, IIT Guwahati established a full-fledged center for environment and currently the center has 30 faculty members from various departments engaged in guiding students. The center has four fully operational laboratories and has dedicated room and space for establishing the Institutional Biotech Hub funded by DBT, GOI under a special program for the North-Eastern states.
Centre for Linguistic Science & Technology
The center is planned in the area of language and its foremost function will be the preservation and the archiving of the minority languages spoken in India, speech and analyzing the text of the languages and technology development in Indian languages. The center plans to create speech and text databases for the minority languages spoken in the North East.
Centre for Nanotechnology
The Center for Nanotechnology was established in 2004 for the development of research and education and to nurture human resources endowed with competitive advantages in the multidisciplinary area of Nanotechnology.
Centre for Rural Technology
The Center for Rural Technology was recently established at IIT Guwahati in 2016 to promote multidisciplinary activities. The center aims to impart education, conduct research, and provide consultancy services to various facets of rural sectors with a special focus on the training and research needs of the Indian rural sector. The center will provide facilities to engineers/innovators in conjunction with NGOs, voluntary organizations, R&D Institutes, Government Programs/Schemes to provide a meaningful contribution in answering national issues like poverty, unemployment, under-developed economy, limited resources, etc. of the rural sector. Faculty members from the various departments of the Institute are associated with the center for the promotion of interdisciplinary research for Rural Development.
The admissions to the B. Tech. and M.Tech. programs of IIT Guwahati are granted on the basis of the candidate’s score in IIT- JEE (Advanced) & GATE respectively. The admissions to the B. Tech. course is done through an online counselling process. IIT Guwahati organizes counselling for those candidates who are shortlisted through the screening process basis their marks in JEE.
The eligibility criteria for JEE is as follows:
- Candidates should be born on or after October 1, 1992, to be eligible to apply. The candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) are allowed a relaxation of five years.
- Candidates should have appeared for their Class 12 or the equivalent examination for the first time in 2016 or 2017.
- To be eligible, the candidates need to secure at least 75% marks or be in the top 20 percentile in their 12th Class examination. The SC/ST candidates are granted a 5% relaxation.
- Aadhar card is mandatory for all Indian citizens appearing for the JEE examination.
Seat Matrix for the IIT Guwahati B. Tech. Programs
|Program Name||Number of Seats|
|Computer Science & Engineering||80|
|Electronics & Electrical Engineering||42|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||73|
|Chemical Science & Technology||45|
|Mathematics & Computing||45|
Candidates can check the following tables for the Institute and Hostel Fee for IIT Guwahati along with the provisions for waivers pertaining to each category.
IIT Guwahati Institute Fee
|Caution Money (One-Time & Refundable)||2000|
|Tuition Fee (Per Semester)||1,00,000|
|Other Fees (Per Semester)||900|
IIT Guwahati Hostel Fee
|Caution Money- Hostel (One-Time & Refundable)||1000|
|Caution Money- Mess (One-Time & Refundable)||2600|
|Hostel Admission Fee (One-Time)||400|
|Hostel Seat Rent (Per Semester)||1000|
|Electricity & Water Charges (Per Semester)||2000|
|Hostel Fund (Per Semester)||400|
|Hostel Mess Advance (Half-Yearly)||14,520|
Provision for Fee Waivers:
- The SC/ST/PH students are eligible for 100% Tuition Fee waiver.
- The General and OBC candidates whose family income is less than Rs. 1 lakh per annum are eligible for the full remission of the Tuition Fee.
- The General and OBC candidates whose family income is between Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum are eligible for remission of two-third of the Tuition Fee.
Branch-wise Opening & Closing Ranks for Round 1: Jee (Advanced) – 2017
|Branch-wise Opening & Closing Ranks for Round 7: Jee (Advanced) – 2017|
- IIT Guwahati was ranked internationally at 501-550 in the QS World University Rankings of 2018.
- IIT Guwahati was ranked 8th in the overall category and 7th in ‘Engineering’ category in the MHRD-NIRF 2017 rankings.
- In 2016, QS World University Rankings ranked IIT Guwahati 94 in Asia and 54 among BRICS nations.
- The Institute was ranked 601-800 in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2018, 101-110 in Asia, and 106 among BRICS and Emerging Economies in 2017.
- In 2017, the Institute was ranked 7th by ‘India Today’ and 8th by ‘The Week’ among the Engineering Colleges in India.
The placements at IIT Guwahati are handled by the Centre for Career Development (CCD) of the Institute. The Institute possesses a sound infrastructure to support each and every stage of the placement process.
IIT Guwahati has an excellent placement record and the following statistics are a testimony to that.
IIT Guwahati Placement Statistics 2016
- Highest Package Offered- $3,28,250 Per Annum
- Average Package Offered- Rs. 14.95 lakhs Per Annum
IIT Guwahati Previous Placement Statistics
- The Highest Package offered in 2015 was $125000 Per Annum
- The Highest International Package offered in 2014 was $120000 Per Annum
- The Highest Domestic Package offered in 2014 was Rs. 30 Lakh Per Annum
- The Average Package offered in 2014 was Rs. 13 Lakh Per Annum
Some of the top recruiters that frequently visit IIT Guwahati for their manpower needs include Google, Cognizant, Dell, Flipkart, ITC, HCL, Oracle, Microsoft, TATA Motors, Wipro, etc.
The Institute’s academic complex is built on 74000 square meters and is home to the academic departments, centers, their laboratories, classrooms, etc. IIT Guwahati has a state-of-the-art computer center and central library. The lecture hall complex has four lecture halls, each with a seating capacity of 250. The auditorium has a seating capacity of 1500 and is used for holding various events and programs.
IIT Guwahati has an indoor sports stadium with facilities for badminton, table-tennis, squash, gymnasium, swimming pool, etc. The Institute has a 72-room Guest House, faculty and staff quarters, eight hostels for men, and one for women. The Institute also has a hospital with 30 beds, a restaurant, several shops, and two community halls. A Conference Centre with four halls and a food court is currently under construction.
The IIT Guwahati campus is well-connected and self-sufficient with facilities like Gigabit Ethernet with access points in every hostel room, internal EPABX, high-speed internet connections, two banks with ATM facilities, a Post Office with Railway Passenger Reservation Facility, A pre-primary school-cum-creche, a Kendriya Vidyalaya, and a bus service to the city.
IIT Guwahati is located just on the outskirts of the city of Guwahati and is well-connected to other parts of India by rail, road, and air. The Institute’s campus is a 20 km drive from the heart of the city and a 40 km drive from the airport. The Institute has a regular bus service to and from the city for the convenience of visitors.
Life at IIT G
IIT Guwahati is a part of the elite group of the ‘old IITs’ that are believed to be more reputed than the new ones. IIT-Guwahati campus life offers a colorful variety of opportunities to students. To interact with each other, the campus community is very open to ideas and sharing. Student diversity is one of the very important assets of its campus life.
The beauty of IIT-G campus is breathtaking, given its location in the lap of nature. A long walk through the beautiful woods and rolling mountains can be a panacea for any stress. Unlike most old IITs which are female-starved, IIT Guwahati has a better student gender ratio.
IIT-G has an excellent design department that deals with making front-end of products more visually appealing and user-friendly. The department adds a professional touch to the poster designs produced at IIT Guwahati and the impact of its work reflects in students’ interest.
Brace yourself for an excellent experience here!