IIT Patna- All you need to know
The Indian Institute of Technology, Patna is an autonomous institute of education and research in science, engineering, and technology located in Patna, India. The Institute was established on 6th of August in the year of 2008 by the Act of Parliament as an Institute of National Importance. IIT Patna is part of National Knowledge Network (NKN) which provides a high-speed core networking for all the knowledge related institutions in India to integrate seamlessly all of the scientific community of India. It is one of eight new IITs established by Ministry of Human Resource and Development, GOI.
The campus of the institution was earlier situated in the Patliputra Colony, Patna. IIT Patna’s permanent campus is now located at Bihta, 35 km from Patna at 500 acres site. The campus shifted from Patlipurta to Bihta in the year 2015 and was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 July 2015. The foundation stone of the IIT Patna, Bihta Campus was laid by Sri Kapil Sibal in 2011.
IIT Patna has a special logo. The gear wheel in the logo represents technology while the atomic orbitals signify sciences. The sun within them conveys that science subjects are studied at par with technological subjects. The mathematical symbols pi (π) and zero (0) signify the efforts of the great Indian mathematician Aryabhata who hails from the ancient kingdom of Magadha. The saffron and green bands encompassing the logo represent the national flag of India. The Sanskrit Sloka “Vidyaarthee Labhathey Vidyaam” means that knowledge is attained by the one who aspires for it.
The college offers the following programs –
IIT Patna awards Bachelor of Technology degrees in the following disciplines:
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering
Admission to these programs is through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), taken by students seeking admission into the IITs after completing 10+2 years of schooling. The Curriculum consists of eight semesters spread over four academic years. A student takes five to six theory courses in addition to laboratory courses in each semester. A student’s performance is evaluated based on a credit system. Credits are allotted to each course depending on the number of lecture/tutorial/laboratory hours per week.
The Department of Electrical Engineering is evolving since the inception of IIT Patna in the year 2008. The major objective of the Department is to impart high-quality education and research. The major research areas of the department include Communications, Signal Processing, VLSI, Electric Drives, Power Systems and Power Electronics. The Department has online access to IEL, Science Direct, Springer and other online journals. Software like MATLAB and GAMS are available with the Department in order to accelerate the research. Instructional laboratories for Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics Digital Electronics, Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, VLSI, Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Power Systems are fully operational.
The M. Tech. program started in 2012, awards degrees in following disciplines:
- Master of Technology in Mathematics and Computing
- Master of Technology in Nanotechnology
- Master of Technology in Mechatronics
- Master of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Master of Technology in Communication Systems Engineering
IIT Patna is the first IIT in the whole IIT system to start an M. Tech. program in the aforementioned Nanotechnology. Admission to M. Tech. is through GATE after which an interview is held to screen the shortlisted candidates. Sponsored Candidates are not required to appear in GATE and are directly called for interview on applying for admission to M. Tech. Program (if selected).
Ph. D. Programs
Started in 2009, Ph. D. degrees are awarded by all the departments. Requirements for admission into the Ph.D. programs include a master’s degree and prior academic achievement. Students undergo an interview before gaining admission.
Looking at the successful run of the institution in its final few years, IIT Patna is planning to introduce MSc program in three subjects – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
Admission at IIT is a two-step process. One needs to qualify JEE (Main) and then take JEE (Advanced). Admissions are based on the JEE (Advanced) rank.
The Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) is a common admission test for students seeking admission to undergraduate programs of all IITs. To be eligible to write JEE (Advanced), the candidates have to first appear in the JEE (Main) conducted by JEE Apex Board, in the month of April. JEE (Advanced) is conducted by IITs in the month of June. Only the top 1,50,000 scorers in JEE (Main), which includes students from all categories (GE, OBC (NCL), SC, ST, and PD) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced). The JEE (Advanced) will have two objective type papers. Each paper will consist of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Duration of each paper will be 3-hours. Question papers will be in both English and Hindi.
SCHOOLS AND CENTRES
The Indian Institute of Technology, Patna is made up of three different Schools. These schools are also made by different departments. These are as follows-
1.School Of Engineering And Technology
It consists of the following departments –
- Biochemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
2. School of Basic Sciences
It consists of the following departments –
3.School of Humanities
It consists of the following departments –
- Social Sciences
Currently, there are 534 students enrolled in the B. Tech. program, 125 for the Ph.D. program, and 88 M. Tech. students with a total of 63 faculty members and 41 staff members.
The coursework requirements may be broadly divided into following four main groups of subjects:
a) Humanities and Social Sciences
b) Basic Sciences and Mathematics
c) Engineering Sciences &Practice
d) Professional Subjects
The total course package for a department consists of the following components :
a) Institutional Core subjects
b) Departmental Core subjects
c) Departmental Elective subjects
Page 17 of 23
d) Institute Elective subjects
IIT Patna CUT-OFF 2017
Given below are the category-wise cut-off marks for the 4-Year B. Tech. Courses offered at IIT Patna.
Opening and Closing Ranks for JEE Advanced 2017 (Round 1)
|Computer Science & Engineering||1849||2873||725||1079||259||664||356||457|
Opening and Closing Ranks for JEE Advanced 2017 (Round 7)
|Computer Science & Engineering||1942||3298||725||1122||259||664||369||498|
- Candidate must have passed 10+2 with minimum 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST/PD) and Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the core subjects.
- Candidate must have qualified JEE- Advanced.
- All classrooms are equipped with modern audio-visual electronic gadgets. The tutorial building has state-of-the-art laboratories in Computer Science, Physics, and Chemistry. It also houses the Computer Centre with total 18 GBPS internet connections and adequate server infrastructure. The campus also has Laboratories in Basic Electronics, Analog Electronics, Digital Electronics, VLSI, Control, Instrumentation, and Communication. The building also has a central library, the administrative office, a dispensary, a cafeteria and faculty chambers.
- The science block has classrooms, faculty rooms, and laboratories for Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. These include the material science research and optics research facilities of the Physics Department, the chemistry instruments and chemistry research facilities of the Chemistry Department and the computational research facility of the Mathematics Department.
- The Mechanical Engineering Workshop building houses all the Mechanical Engineering Laboratories, viz. Basic and Conventional Manufacturing Lab, Advanced Manufacturing Lab, CAD/CAM Lab, Dynamics Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Heat and Mass Transfer Lab, Instruments and Control Lab, IC Engines Lab, Material Testing Lab, Metrology and Metallographic Lab, Robotics Lab and Polymer Engineering Lab.
The IIT Patna campus is replete with all the necessary modern infrastructure and facilities thus making it an ideal place for your academic pursuits. In this section, you can find some of the highlights of the facilities offered at IIT Patna.
IIT Patna’s digital library boasts modern technology of library automation system with Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) and a shelf check-in and check-out system using the RFID technology. The library provides e-resources (e-books, e-journal, e-databases, and Turnitin) facility, newspapers, etc.
The Institute currently has one boys’ hostel and one temporary girls’ hostel in the campus. IIT Patna also has necessary arrangements for the research scholars who are married. At present, over 1200 students reside in the IIT Patna hostels. There is a regular bus service for students. The hostel also has a Wi-Fi facility along with a gymnasium, TV room, and facilities for table-tennis enthusiasts.
IIT Patna has a computer lab and also has dedicated labs for the students of civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and electronics engineering.
The sports complex of IIT Patna has courts for badminton, volleyball, basketball, and tennis. Apart from this, the Institute also has grounds for cricket and football.
IIT Patna also has a Cafeteria, Gymnasium, Hospital/Medical facilities, a Wi-Fi Campus, Shuttle Service, an Auditorium, and a Convenience Store to cater to the needs of the students.
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹4,000|
|One Time Fees||₹2,250|
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹1,00,000|
|Other fees (per Semester)||₹3,250|
|Hall Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹1,000|
|Mess Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹1,500|
|Hostel Admission Fee (One Time)||₹400|
|Hostel Establishment Charges (One Time)||₹1000|
|Hostel Seat Rent (per Semester)||₹500|
|Electricity & Water charges (per Semester)||₹1,500|
|Hostel Development Fund (per Semester)||₹500|
|Hostel Mess Advance (Six Monthly)||₹12,000|
- 100% Tuition Fee waiver for SC/ST/PH students.
- Full remission of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students whose family income is less than Rs.1 lakh per annum.
- Remission of 2/3rd of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students whose family income is between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.5 lakh per annum.
IIT Patna is ranked 10 in National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016.
The institute has set up many laboratories to conduct research in various disciplines of engineering, pure and applied sciences and humanities on the transit campus itself. Research is carried out by faculty members and research scholars under the guidance of faculty members. Research work is also done at the undergraduate level usually in the fourth year of engineering. The Sponsored Research and Industrial Relations Unit (SRIRU) was established in the year 2009 to promote interactive engagement between faculty and sponsoring agencies. The institute has received grants from various sponsoring agencies like Department of Information Technology – Govt. Of India, Department of Biotechnology – Govt. of India, Defence Research and Development Organization, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, Department Of Science And Technology – Govt. of India, CSIR, Department of Rural Development – Govt. of India, UNICEF.
COLLABORATION WITH FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES
To impart quality education and excel in the field of research IIT Patna has collaborated with many foreign universities like National University of Singapore (NUS), University of Houston, Texas (USA),Louisiana State University (USA),University Of Hartford, Connecticut (USA), University Of Missouri, Columbia (USA), University of New South Wales (Australia), University of North Texas-Denton (USA) and University of Saskatchewan (Canada).
The MoU is intended to give opportunities to B. Tech, M. Tech, and Ph.D. students and faculty from IIT Patna to go to USA, Australia, Singapore, and Canada and develop their research skills and interact with people working in different areas of science and technology.
STUDENT LIFE AND CULTURE
- The students of IIT Patna are accommodated in five hostels: four hostels/blocks for male students which are located adjacent to the campus in a walled compound which includes Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis and Badminton courts. A student gymkhana building is also located in the hostel compound. All the hostels are equipped with common rooms, facilities for indoor games like Table tennis, Carom etc. Accommodation for female students is provided in rented flats that are within two kilometers distance from the academic area from where the conveyance is provided by the institute (Hourly internal buses).
- The medical facilities are provided by the administration to the staff and students through the local Mahavir and Sahyog hospitals and insurance cover through National Insurance. A 24-hour ambulance service is available in the institute as well as hostels in case of emergencies.
- The Student Activity Center operates with the following societies:
- IEEE Student Branch IIT-Patna
- Science and Technology Council
- NJACK (Computer Science Club)
- Sparkonics (Electrical Club)
- SCME (Mechanical Club)
- Robotics Club
- ACE (Civil club)
- House Of Socio-Cultural Affairs
- House of Literature And Fine Arts
- Sports Club
- Bhaktivedanta Club
- Environmental Club
- Student Welfare Club
- Photography Club
- Entrepreneurship Club
- Rural Technology Development Club
- IITP organizes various technical and cultural events throughout the year. Some notable ones are following-
- Nebula is a welcome bash organized by senior students to welcome the freshers in the month of August.
- Celesta is the Annual technology week conducted by students.
- Reverberance is a gala evening with various cultural performances by the students.
- Anwesha is the Annual techno-cultural fest conducted in the first weekend of February every year.
- RobomerZ-2kX was a workshop conducted by IITP to interest students in Robotics and Mechatronics.
- IITP has the following students’ clubs and councils which organize many extracurricular and academic activities throughout the year. And are under the control of Student Gymkhana –
- Science and Technology Council organizes various workshops, seminars, and competitions in the areas like Robotics, Programming, and El.
- Entrepreneurship Club operates with the vision of selling point for aspiring entrepreneurs at IIT Patna
- Cultural Club manages and organizes all the cultural festivals of the institute.
- Literary Club organizes various quizzes and debates.
- The Eco Club aims to create awareness among the students to the environment and it organizes various campaigns.
The students’ gymkhana of IIT Patna (established in 2008) is the Students’ Governing Council consisting of the elected student representatives working for the overall well-being and holistic development of students in the institute. The elected representatives of the students from each hostel strive to foster growth and leadership among the students by coordinating various events helping to extract the maximum of one’s talent. To promote the co-curricular activities and interests, the gymkhana has many clubs and groups dedicated to the interests of the students. Sports at IIT Patna bring together relaxation and competition getting the best of every player. It organizes various inter-hostel and inter-department competitions.
IIT Patna currently has one boys’ hostel and one temporary girls’ hostel in the campus. It also has necessary arrangements for married research scholars. More boys and girls hostels are in the process of construction. The boys’ hostel is at a distance of about 1 KM from the academic
complex and the girls’ hostel is situated near the faculty quarters, about 3 KMs from the academic complex. Presently over 1200 students are residing in the hostels. Regular bus services have been provided from the hostels to and the academic buildings. Students have access to Wi-Fi connectivity throughout the buildings. In addition to the adequate health care facilities, all the students are covered under the Vidyarthi Mediclaim Insurance Policy. The hostel is equipped with gymnasium, TV room and table tennis facilities. The campus has a basketball court, a volleyball court, and badminton court. A football-cum-cricket ground will also be available very soon. There are two students’ mess in boys’ hostel and one mess in the girls’ hostel, along with various food joints and canteen in the Food court. The students elect a student body once every year in the month of April.
Institute Wellness Centre
Institute Wellness Centre (IWC) at IIT Patna facilitates the well-being of students and encourages them to enhance their on-campus lifestyle. The center consists of the faculty members across various departments of the Institute. The IWC deals with a wide range of activities including Yoga, Sports, Music, Life Skill, etc. In addition to these, IWC organizes various programs like a workshop on happiness, motivational talks, etc. The center encourages active participation from the student community in various upcoming events organized by IWC time-to-time.
Student Activity Center
Games and sports are organized through the Gymkhana. It promotes all extra-curricular activities in the field of Sports. The Institute has on its rolls Chairman Sports, Coach, and other supporting staff. Facilities for the following games and sports are available: Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, Athletics, Cricket, Chess, and Carom etc. In addition to this, Student Gymkhana has a well-equipped gymnasium. Besides organizing routine activities in above-mentioned sports, the Gymkhana also organizes Inter-Hostel Sports Meet. The Gymkhana also takes the responsibility of preparing students for Inter-IIT Sports
Training and Placement Cell actively engages in developing a relationship with various industrial organizations and employers. The cell organizes summer internships for pre-final year students and placement activities for final year students. The first batch of IIT Patna graduated in 2012. Six computer science students have clinched jobs in Microsoft IDC with a package of 16 lakh (US$24,000). Flipkart, the online shopping portal founded by two IIT alumni, has recruited three students at a package of Rs 12.5 lakh each. Two of them are from computer science, while the other one is from electrical. Moreover, three students from 2014 batch are pursuing higher studies in different universities in the US. The placement of IITP graduates was marked at 97% in the year 2013. 20 B. Tech. degree holders agreed to set up their own companies. Two students from Computer Science and Engineering – Batch of 2013 have developed a Braille mobile handset for blind people.
Average Salary Offered for CSE Branch – Rs. 7.59 Lakh Per Annum
Average Salary Offered for EE Branch – Rs. 6.04 Lakh Per Annum
Average Salary Offered for ME Branch – Rs. 7.16 Lakh Per Annum
Bank of India, DRDO, Infosys, Headstrong, Samsung Electronics, BPCL, Tata Motors were the top recruiters. According to the statics, out of the total 91 students in all the three streams (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering), 83 registered themselves for placements and 77 got placed.
If you are planning to get into one of the IITs, IIT Patna with the desired branch is not a bad option. Toppr wishes you all the very best!!