Is Class 11 Syllabus For JEE Main Important?
The answer to the question is Yes, Class 11 syllabus for JEE Main is very important. At Toppr, we’re always emphasizing the importance of a strong foundation when it comes to entrance examinations. Trust me, the JEE-main examination lays a lot of emphasis on the basic concepts that you learn in Class 11. JEE-Main is essentially a concept based exam. It tests the basic understanding of the students, albeit under the pressure of a time constraint and negative marking. In order to excel in JEE-Main, it is imperative to have a good grasp of the underlying concepts in the subjects that you study in Class 11.
Let’s understand why a good grasp on the Class 11 syllabus for JEE Main examinations is important.
- Understanding of Formulae: Very often we see teachers and students skipping the derivations and mugging the formulae alone, except for a few important derivations which are likely to appear in the board exam. Now, knowing all the formulae is well and good but without knowing which formulae are to be used where this knowledge becomes pointless and that is one of the key parameters where JEE tests the applicants. Understanding the concepts is critical because in many cases there may be a different formula with a slightly different constant or a variable that can be ignored or needs consideration. All of which depends on assumptions or conditions pertaining to that particular situation. Hence, it is imperative that you are thorough with your Class 11 concepts to avoid such unfortunate situations.
- Helps in Problem–Solving: If you have a good grip on the basics taught in Class 11 then even if you don’t know the correct answer outright, you can discard the wrong ones by the process of elimination. You can apply the elimination process in the multiple choice questions only if you’re sound with the fundamentals.
- Covers Important Topics: Some of the important topics for JEE such as Rotational Motion, Kinematics, Simple Harmonic Motion (for Physics), Chemical Bonding, General Organic Chemistry, Equilibrium, Atomic Structure (for Chemistry), and Probability, Permutation & Combination, Coordinate Geometry (for Mathematics), etc. are taught in Class 11. Hence, having a good grip on Class 11 syllabus would definitely help you succeed in JEE-Main.
- Prepares you for Class 12 Boards: Apart from the aforementioned benefits, the concepts learned in your Class 11 syllabus go a long way in helping you understand the ones to be learned in Class 12. Don’t forget that a good score in Class 12 is a prerequisite to being eligible for JEE-Main.
- Useful for Professional Courses: The usefulness of the basics learned in Class 11 does not end here. The concepts taught in Class 11 helps in all aspects of engineering, especially mathematical concepts like calculus, trigonometry, and matrices.
- Confidence Booster: Class 11 marks are also important because if you do well in Class 11 then it lifts your morale and acts as a confidence booster for your Class 12 board examination. Therefore, you must pay close attention to Class 11 syllabus.
Finally, if you’re preparing for JEE, remember that it’s very difficult to cover the lost preparation of Class 11 in Class 12. The syllabus of each Class is so exhaustive that trying to complete them together in one year is a mammoth task. Therefore it would be a grave mistake to avoid or skip the Class 11 curriculum if you’re preparing for JEE. You must also refer to the JEE previous papers and the best books for JEE.
As for JEE Main, the Class 11 syllabus is equally important for JEE Advanced. Read more about it here.