Study plan to crack JEE Advanced in one year:
As an IIT aspirant, you must have been tired of hearing advice like – ‘Stay focused,’ ‘Practice, Practice, and Practice some more to get through JEE Advanced’ or ‘Stop watching TV and beware of distractions!’ Did you manage to digest all that preaching and cut off from the world? Alright, so you went a step ahead and also sacrificed Facebook and Whatsapp. Great. Now that’s a big deal. But then, did these tips really work? The truth is: nobody (yes, not even those seemingly overqualified neighbors) know the exact method of making it to an IIT. There’s no secret formula. Preparing for JEE Advanced advanced in 1 year can be tough. But if you have a solid plan, you can definitely do it.
Here’s a study plan I’ve painstakingly put together to help you fulfil your dreams and reach that alluring destination you’ve been chasing. But no matter what I tell you in this write-up, the choice of making it happen will always be yours. You need to be give these tips a thought and be disciplined enough to act on them.
Let’s get started with this comprehensive study plan to crack JEE Advanced advanced in 1 year.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT IN THIS ARTICLE?
- First Steps
- Subject-Wise Tips
- 9 Ways to Stay Focussed
Please note: We believe in having fun. Isn’t that better? (Yeah, we officially endorse the ‘All work, and no play makes Jack a dull boy’ statement.)
Taking Baby Steps
- Firstly, tell yourself that JEE is not tough. Think in terms of actual scenarios and not just solving problems.
- Think long term. Only then you can prepare sincerely, create a practical study plan, and get the desired score or rank.
- JEE Advanced question papers have an abundance of numerical problems. So, never ignore them. A candidate is most likely to scale the cut-off if he/she is adept at solving numerical problems in all the three subjects—physics, chemistry, and mathematics.
- Track your problem-solving speed. Keep practicing so that by the time you go for the actual exam, you will have developed a knack for recognizing the type of problem at once, just by looking at it.
- Don’t forget to do the things you like. It could be an hour of playing football, that Bollywood dance class or a quick gym session. These recreational activities are more important than they seem.
Well, everyone has a different grasping power. But 5-6 months is quite a sufficient time to finish the syllabus. You can utilize the remaining time in attempting question papers in time constraints and revising concepts and formulae. Also, always choose one difficult topic with two easy topics; it reduces the burden and effort.
What you need to do first and foremost is set targets to cover the syllabus as per your speed and act accordingly. As simple as that. Here are the things to keep in mind for each subject.
Mechanics and Electromagnetism constitute the major part of the paper (65%). In mechanics, do not stick with only mainstream questions, try different types of questions. Electromagnetism has a lot of formulas and a whole lot of concepts, which is the most difficult part of the syllabus. So, strengthen your theoretical knowledge. Keep in mind that Heat and Thermodynamics are generally numerical based on basic laws, so don’t go deep into the topic and concepts.
Physical chemistry has questions that are rather typical than applied. It is also the most scoring part of chemistry section, so learn it thoroughly. Keep in mind that Inorganic chemistry has both applied as well as typical questions and preparing for it might take a lot of time. Organic chemistry covers around 40% of the questions, where most of the questions are applied and based on series of reactions except GOC. Once you get the concepts right, it will become the easiest subject for you.
Complex Number, Permutation Combination and Probability cover 80% of the algebra portion. Remember that the questions on these topics are relatively easy and scoring. Vector and 3D sometimes have questions that are bit lengthy, but if you get them right, you conquer the 30% weightage it has. Calculus, the most tricky part, has no particular trend in types of questions, so you have no choice but to practice a lot.
Smart Ways to Stay Focussed & Crack JEE Advanced
- Set a target of solving at least 40-80 numerical problems daily. Including physics, chemistry and, mathematics.
- Start with the difficult areas first. It’s crucial to keep a note of the hardest sections and work your way to the easier material.
- Analyze your mistakes and find your weak areas that often slow you down.
- As tempting as it may be, never quit until you have achieved your daily target. Sleep only once you have solved your daily problems.
- Study as per your plan, not by the number of hours. You cannot compare performances by looking at the clock. It does not matter how long you studied, the only thing that matters in exams is whether you know how to solve a problem or not.
- Practice the art of selective thinking and listening. So, whether your dog needs your attention or that interesting episode of Big Bang Theory, discard stray thoughts. Build your solutions step-by-step with contextual thinking.
- Get test papers from the past few years and solve the questions religiously. Sample papers help you familiarize with the type of questions asked in the exam. Mock tests are eventually going to be your saviour.
- Mugging up or rote learning is not going to help for JEE Advanced preparation. Ensure that you understand what you are reading and learn to apply your brains.
- Do the things you love. It could be something as simple as gorging on mom-made food ;-). Exercise daily, go for a walk or play active sports for at least an hour a day. Well, if you take yourself too seriously and forget to pamper yourself, it would be a terrible, terrible mistake!
With a success rate of barely 4-5%, JEE Advanced can be strenuous and seem fiercely competitive. But IITians have proved their mettle time and again. You don’t always need to be a genius to crack JEE Advanced in a year. You also don’t need to go through an all-nighter before exams. A methodical and disciplined approach can surprisingly take you to the pinnacle of success.
Wouldn’t it also be helpful to skim through the list of JEE Advanced books all students should have? Read more about it here.
For more such informative write-ups, visit Toppr.com, your one-stop solution for all your JEE Advanced preparation needs.