As we are entering into a new academic session of 2017, we all are feeling the heat of yet another year of competitive exams. One of them is the KVPY Exam (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana), which will conduct its aptitude test in the first week of November 2017 (You could take a look at the KVPY 2016 results here). Frankly speaking, it can be compared to JEE when it comes to the difficulty level of the written paper. However, there is no cause for panic. 60 days are more than enough to clear KVPY.
Once you qualify the KVPY exam, you get a direct admission to top institutes like IISc and the many IISERs. Moreover, in past few years, it has become a cut-throat exam where earning the badge of KVPY scholar is as good as glorious.
An acronym for “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana, KVPY is a program started in 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India to encourage students who are studying Basic Sciences to take up research career in Science.
KVPY Chemistry Syllabus 2017
The syllabus comprises of four Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics & Biology. There is no prescribed syllabus for the aptitude test. There are three different streams in KVPY:
Stream SA Syllabus: The syllabus covers the following topics & chapters of Class X & XI.
Chemical Reactions, Metals and Non-Metals, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon Compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Environmental Chemistry
Stream SX Syllabus: The syllabus comprises the following topics & chapters from Class X, XI & XII.
Surface Chemistry, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Metals and Non-Metals, Carbon compounds, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Chemical Reactions, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Periodic Classification of Elements
Stream SB Syllabus: The exam covers all the corresponding syllabus of Class 10th/12th/1st year of UG course.
Thermodynamics, Chemical Reactions, Basic Concepts of Chemistry, Periodic Classification of Elements, Carbon compounds, Acids, Bases and Salts, States of Matter: Gases and Liquids, Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties, Metals and Non-Metals, Environmental Chemistry, Solid State, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Isolation of Elements, Surface Chemistry, Chemical Bonding, Chemistry of Noble Gases, Structure & Bonding, Alkenes, Cycloalkenes, Dienes and Alkynes
You can check the eligibility criteria from the official website of KVPY here.
Before I get into the Chemistry analysis bit, it’s advisable that you should make yourself more or less equally adept at all the four subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology). You have to keep in mind that all the four subjects are equally important and if you neglect anyone of them, you can bid adieu to your hopes of cracking the KVPY SA exam.
Things You Need to Keep in Mind for KVPY Chemistry:
- In brief, you need the knowledge of Physical Chemistry of Class XI level.
- The key chapters are Atomic Structure, Chemical Bonding, Chemical Energetics, Stoichiometry and Gaseous State.
- Nomenclature, general organic chemistry and hydrocarbons are the most important chapters of Organic Chemistry for KVPY. Class X level knowledge of Organic Chemistry is enough for you.
- Some important name reactions and action of reagents would help in scoring high.
- Chemical kinetics from class 12th syllabus is important.
- Don’t worry about Inorganic Chemistry. Hardly any question comes from there. Even if you encounter an odd question from this section, you will be able to solve it with a basic Class X knowledge.
KVPY Chemistry 2017 Important Books
- NCERT Book (You don’t need any other book if you remember all of its content well.)
- O.P. Tandon for Inorganic Chemistry
- P Bahadur for Physical Chemistry
- Solomons for Organic Chemistry
Check out our article on Books KVPY Aspirants Must Have to get a better grip of all subjects. .
Last Piece of Advice
- Students, who are already preparing for exams like JEE Main or NEET (AIPMT) in 2017, will not need to worry much about studying extra for the KVPY Chemistry exam. Since there is no prescribed KVPY syllabus, you can just stick to the JEE Main or NEET (AIPMT) syllabus for the exam, and you will find that you are able to solve most of the KVPY questions quite easily.
- Solve the previous years’ question papers of KVPY rigorously. Find your weak areas, and work on them.
- Unlike JEE, you are NOT going to face new types of problems every year in KVPY. So, take it easy.
Finally, it is just a test of your analytical skills and your aptitude in science. To win the scholarship, it is wise to be vigilant and find ways to be better than your peers.
I hope this article provided you with all the necessary information about the chemistry subject of the KVPY 2017 exam.
If you have further queries related to KVPY, you can leave your comments in the section below. I’d be glad to answer them asap.
Read on here to find out about all you need to know to crack KVPY Maths.