College life often happens to be the best time in a student’s lifetime. After years, when you meet those friends of yours, you are sure to reminisce over the golden times. And the least you would want to do is to raise a nostalgic “to the best of our times!” toast.
It isn’t about those heavy books that you carried or the exams that swept you by. It is about how much you explored your inner self. Many of us often get overwhelmed by the intense schedules in our college life. Sometimes, it binds us so tight that it leaves little room for novelty and adventure. You will be able to make the most of your college life if you are willing to make small departures from the norm.
But it isn’t going to happen all by itself. If you want it, you will have to work for it. Here are a few tips that I found helpful.
Making College Life Count
- Take classes that interest you: Education is your first priority. You have come to college to learn and you cannot learn if you are not enjoying what you’re learning. College isn’t about any pre-ordained course of action; it is the time when you explore your passions. You must stay focussed on your goals, and you must learn to fine-tune the art of balancing between what you need and what you like.
- Make new friends: Variety is more than just the spice of life. It expands our experiences and makes our lives more fulfilling. In college, you will confront a hubbub of new people to interact with from all cultures and backgrounds, some having different opinions or beliefs from you. Fellow students, professors, the people who serve food to you at the canteens: all these people have the potential to forever etch their memories on your heart.
- Exploit those resources! College gives you full access to its resources, and it is virtually free of cost! Gyms, library, career-centres, swimming pool, therapist, counsellors, playgrounds and indoor stadiums; you are allowed to make full use of it and become a healthier, sharper, and better person each day.
- Participate to lead! College is the best time to showcase your talents and abilities. Be quick to learn and respond. Take initiative, take responsibility. The challenges you face at these events will be nowhere near climbing Mt. Everest. However, tasks such as organizing a field trip or a quiz or some inter-hostel magazine competition will still test your mettle. Take part and you will be amazed to see the immense potential you possess.
- Find people who share your interests: While the college life will let you meet lots of new faces, you must learn to choose your friends cautiously. You may have a lot of acquaintances, but only a few will be your good friends. Choose these people carefully. People who share the same interests as you will help become your mentors and guide you towards your goal. Good friends will always try to bring out the best in you.
College does not serve goodies to us on a platter. Since we’re in a new and challenging environment, there is a possibility of losing one’s sense of direction. At this point, we must be optimistic and continue the journey with a clean slate. After all, the biggest room in the world is the room for improvement and one can always fall and rise again with more courage. So, it is better to experiment with everything and do all that fun stuff in college.
Another way to learn to make the most of college life is via the experience of others. You can read about the first-hand experiences of an IITian here.