Maths Project for Class 9
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) makes changes in the Class 9 mathematics syllabus at regular intervals according to the growth of the subject and the existing needs of the society. The current Class 9 syllabus has been designed in accordance with the National Curriculum Framework 2005 and by following the guidelines given in the Focus Group on Teaching of Mathematics which aims to meet the emerging needs of all categories of students. Earlier, the schools followed the age-old pattern of making the students read, write, and then take exams. However, the younger generation today demands an interactive learning model that engages them and makes them learn the facts in a fun and easy way. Keeping all of the above in mind, CBSE has adopted the project- based training and learning program for the Class 9 students. The Maths project for Class 9 has helped lakhs of students to absorb the fundamentals of mathematics in a more effective manner.
On this page, today, we’re focusing on Maths project for Class 9 and everything you need to know about it.
The Objectives of Mathematics learning at the Secondary Level
Given below are the broad objectives of teaching Mathematics at the secondary school stage:
- To help students consolidate the Mathematical knowledge and skills acquired at the upper primary stage.
- To make students acquire knowledge and understanding, particularly by way of motivation and visualization, of basic concepts, terms, principles & symbols, the underlying methods, and skills.
- To help students gain proficiency in the basic algebraic skills
- To develop the drawing skills of the students.
- To make the students employ reasoning while proving a result or solving a problem.
- To apply the knowledge and skills acquired in solving problems and if possible, by more than one method.
- To develop the thinking ability, the ability to analyze, and articulate logically.
Why the Maths Project for Class 9?
The earlier tools of teaching and learning are no longer relevant in the 21st century. The emphasis of CBSE is on teaching Mathematics to Class 9 students through various activities which may involve the use of concrete materials, models, patterns, charts, pictures, posters, games, puzzles, and experiments. The curriculum at the Secondary school level primarily aims at enhancing the capacity of the students to use Mathematics in solving the day-to-day life problems and studying the subject as a separate discipline. It is expected that students should acquire the ability to solve problems using algebraic methods and apply the knowledge of simple trigonometry to solve problems of height and distances. The students are expected to carry out experiments with numbers and forms of geometry, framing a hypothesis, and verifying these with further observations at this stage of mathematics learning. The CBSE curriculum for Class 9 includes the study of the number system, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, mensuration, statistics, graphs, coordinate geometry, etc.
There is also an effort to motivate the teachers to relate the topics to real-life problems and other subject areas. Greater emphasis is also placed on applications of various concepts.
Let’s look at some of the advantages of introducing Maths Projects for Class 9.
Advantages of Maths Project for Class 9
- Maths Project for Class 9 encourages the students to visualize the basic concepts, theorems, principles, and the fundamental method involved in solving the problems.
- The previously adopted method of rote learning is not an ideal way to solve the mathematics problems. Employing Maths Project for Class 9 allows the teachers to impart mathematics education in a more rational and challenging manner.
- The Maths Project for Class 9 not only helps in improving the problem-solving capability of the students but also helps them in grasping and retaining the knowledge acquired at the secondary level for a much longer time.
- Since Maths Project involves the application of mind to solve the problems, it improves the planning, reasoning, and critical thinking abilities of the students.
- The Maths Projects enables the students to make real-life decisions and acquire mathematical knowledge in a more holistic way that will help them in their career and professional life as well.
- Maths Project for Class 9 also improves the communication and presentation skills of the students as the students have to present their projects in front of the entire class. The communication and presentation skills acquired at this level go a long way in the professional careers of the students.
Highlights of the Maths Project for Class 9
- The percentage of marks allotted to the Maths Projects for Class 9 varies from 10%- 15%. Sometimes the class teacher also assesses the students on the basis of the open book assessment test.
- The Maths Project can be in the form of thinking skills questions or it could also be based on case studies.
- The Maths Project allows the teachers to evaluate their students on the basis of maths projects and out-of-school learning.
Maths Project Ideas for Class 9 Students
Maths Project ideas help you focus on the academics and gives real-time experience and confidence on the subject. Given below are some interesting Maths Project ideas for Class 9. Have a look!
- Life of mathematics
- Rectangle turning around a corner which is not right-angled
- Knowledge of mathematics
- Application of trigonometry
- What are topology and its uses?
- Calculate the area and perimeter of a circle
- Explain theorems in Circles with diagrams
- How are statistics used in an organization
- How were square roots found before the invention of calculators?
- Who teaches Mathematics to a teacher?
- Circles form an important part of mathematics
- What do you learn from Mathematics?
- Angle sum properties of a triangle
- Area of regular polygons
- Binary numbers
- Concept of infinity
- Exploring Fibonacci numbers
- Binomial theorem
- The conic section in geometry
- Algebraic equation
- Pythagorean theorem
- Quadratic equation
- Use of p
- Magic square
- Application of Statistics
- Irrational number as real numbers
- Irrational numbers as non-repeating, non-terminating decimals
- Rationalize the denominator
- The idea of profit and loss
- Application of Pythagoras theorem
- Angles opposite to equal sides and angles of triangles
- Bar graph
- Volume and area
The Syllabus for Class 9 Mathematics
You must know the entire syllabus of Class 9 Mathematics before you start preparing for the academic year 2018-19. Given below is the complete syllabus for CBSE Class 9 Mathematics.
CBSE Course Structure for Class 9 Mathematics
|VI||Statistics & Probability||10|
We hope you found the information provided on this page useful. Leave your feedback and queries in the comments section.