The abbreviation MBBS expands itself to mean Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. As the history of the abbreviation goes it can be broken as MB which means Medicinae Baccalaureus and B.S. meaning Bachelor of Surgery. One of the most prestigious degree not only of the recent times but since generations, MBBS is one of the most reputed as well as one of the most challenging courses of higher studies. The seriousness and importance of this degree can be analyzed by the fact that this is an amalgamation of two major degrees in the field of medical, included in one domain. MBBS is an Undergraduate Academic Degree Course that entails the study of medicine and surgery. This course aims to give an academic understanding of concepts like medicine, chemistry human anatomy, human cytology, pharmaceutical, chemistry, drugs formulation & effect and method of surgery through theoretical and practical experiences. Let us look at the MBBS Course Duration and Structure.
MBBS Course Duration
The duration of MBBS course is said to be a five and a half year course including one year of compulsory rotating internship, so actually, the academic course duration stands at four and a half year which is distributed in 9 semesters. The Medical Council of India formulates and handles the MBBS course structures because it is the only accredited body of medical course in India.
Unavailable in a distance course many students are seen taking up MBBS course after their high secondary, this shows that no matter how tough it seems it attracts a huge section of students who have a bent for science.
Eligibility for MBBS
The eligibility criteria for pursuing MBBS are-
- The basic criteria to pursue MBBS is that the student should have completed his/her 10+2 examinations and must have scored minimum 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology by a recognized board
- In order to apply for the medical entrance test, the applicant must be at least 17 years old on or before 31st December of the year of admission. The upper age limit being 25 years of age.
- The student also needs to give various other National Level Examination conducted by the CBSE, New Delhi, i.e. NEET 2018(National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test) to book their place in the 15% of the total seats of medical and dental courses of the likewise colleges run by the Union of India. Students also apply for AIIMS & JIPMER MBBS Entrance Exam, CET, AIMEE to get admission into MBBS programme
General Structure of the Exam
The questions of the MBBS entrance test, especially the written ones, are a mix of physics, chemistry, and biology. For Biology questions the main focus is generally on botany and zoology. In written tests most of the time there is negative marking for the wrong answers which is instructed in the paper itself. These exams at times also include personality tests, general knowledge questions, and English language questions.
MBBS Course Fee In India
The MBBS course fee varies with institutions. For a Central Government funded institutions like AIIMS the course may be really nominal like Rs. 10,000 per annum but for other institutes like All India Quota, it may cost between Rs. 50,000- 2 Lakhs per annum.
MBBS Course Subjects
- Human Anatomy
- General Medicine
- Human physiology including biophysics
- Introduction to Humanities and community medicine
- Dermatology and sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Forensic medicine including toxicology
- General medicine
- General surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Specializations
Syllabus of MBBS degree (semester wise)
Total number of semesters-9
- Semester 1-2 (Pre-clinical): Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology.
- Semester 3-5 (Para-clinical): Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Clinical postings, OPDs.
- Semester 6-9 (Clinical): Community medicine and allied subjects (Psychiatry, Dermatology), Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Surgery and allied subjects, Clinical postings.
Internship Learning Schedule (12 months)-
- Medicine- a specialty of duration 1.5 months.
- Surgery- Specialty of duration 1.5 months.
- Rural- a specialty of duration 3 months.
- Paediatrics- a specialty of duration 1 month.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology- a specialty of duration 1 month.
- Casualty- duration 1month
- Anaesthesiology- duration 15 days
- Ophthalmology- duration 15 days
- Elective- duration 2 months
MBBS Employment Areas
- Self-owned clinics
- Biomedical Companies
- Nursing Homes
- Medical Colleges
- Medical Trusts
- Health Centres
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
- Research Institutes
MBBS Job Profiles
- Junior doctors
- Junior Surgeons
- Medical Professor or Lecturer
- Anaesthetist/ Anaesthesiologist
- Medical Analyst
- Medical Reviewer
- Clinical Research Field
- Chief Medical Officer
- N.T Specialist
- General Surgeon
- Hospital Administrator
- Medical Admitting Officer