NCERT Class 8th Science Book
‘Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school’, said Albert Einstein. Before discussing about the NCERT class 8th science book, it’s important that you know a little about NCERT.
About NCERT & its books
The words above are remarkably true in today’s society. The Central Board of Secondary Education prepares the textbooks for all the classes which are called the NCERT books. NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) is an autonomous organisation of the Government of India that was established on the 1st of September, 1961 as a literary, scientific and charitable society under the Societies’ Registration Act. The headquarters are located in New Delhi.
NCERT assists and advises the central and state governments on the academic matters related to the school education. The NCERT was established with the agenda to design and support a common system of education which is national in character and also encourages the diverse culture across the country. The publishers have been trying to enrich the curriculum for the overall development of the children so that it goes beyond the textbooks. They are trying to make the examinations more flexible and are integrating them with the classroom life.
NCERT Class 8th Science Book – Availability & Price
|Book Name & Format||Price(in INR)|
|SCIENCE/VIGYAN – Hardcopy||50|
|SCIENCE – Online||Free|
The NCERT Class 8th Science book can be found online as well as offline in any bookstore that sells school books. The book available online is in the form of flipbooks as you’d see if you follow the link. It is advised that the students keep their offline copies as well. The hard copy of the book costs 50/- making it easier to acquire; it is available for free on the internet. This book is available in two languages vis-a-vis Hindi & English. The book is titled ‘VIGYAN’ for Hindi medium and ‘SCIENCE’ for English medium. An online system named e-pathshala has been developed for providing the students with textbooks, audio, video, periodicals and a variety of other materials. All the interested kids can access this. The textbooks are revised after taking orders from the council.
List of Chapters
- Chapter 1 – Crop Production and Management.
- Chapter 2 – Microorganisms: Friend and Foe.
- Chapter 3 – Synthetic Fibres and Plastics.
- Chapter 4 – Materials: Metals and Non-Metals.
- Chapter 5 – Coal and Petroleum.
- Chapter 6 – Combustion and Flame.
- Chapter 7 – Conservation of Plants and Animals.
- Chapter 8 – Cell – Structure and Functions
- Chapter 9 – Reproduction in Animals
- Chapter 10 – Reaching The Age of Adolescence
- Chapter 11 – Force and Pressure
- Chapter 12 – Friction
- Chapter 13 – Sound
- Chapter 14 – Chemical Effects of Electric Current
- Chapter 15 – Some Natural Phenomena
- Chapter 16 – Light
- Chapter 17 – Stars and The Solar System
- Chapter 18 – Pollution of Air and Water
NCERT Class 8th Science Book – Topics
The NCERT Class 8th Science Book covers a wide range of topics introducing many new topics as well. The way the topics are covered form an important impression of the subject on the mind of the students. It is done to arouse the interest of the students in the subject. The following topics and subtopics have been discussed in the Class 8th science book of NCERT.
Crop Production and Management
- Agricultural practices, basic practices of crop production, preparation of soil.
- Agricultural implements, sowing, adding fertilizers, irrigation, protection from weeds, harvesting and storage.
Micro-organisms: Friend and Foe
- Microorganisms, their dependency, increasing soil fertility.
- Cleaning the environment, nitrogen fixation and nitrogen cycle.
Synthetic Fibers and Plastics
- Synthetic fibers, types, characteristics.
Materials: Metals and Non-metals
- Definitions, physical properties, chemical properties.
- Uses of these materials
Coal and Petroleum
- Types of natural resources, coal, petroleum, refining of petroleum, natural gas.
Combustion and Flame
- Definitions, controlling fire, types of combustion.
- Flame, structure of flame.
- Fuel, fuel efficiency.
Conservation of Plants and Animals
- Deforestation, conservation of forest and wildlife, biosphere reserves, flora and fauna.
- Endemic species, wildlife sanctuary, national park, red data books, migration, recycling, reforestation.
Cell Structure and Functions
- Discovery of the cell, shape and size, structure and functions, parts of cell
- Comparison of plant and animal cell.
Reproduction in Animals
- Modes of reproduction, process
Reaching the Age of Adolescence
- Definitions, changes in puberty.
- Role of hormones, reproductive health, nutritional needs and personal hygiene.
Force and Pressure
- Force, state of motion, types of forces.
- Pressure, atmospheric pressure.
- Force of friction, factors affecting friction.
- Fluid friction.
- Definition, media usage.
- Amplitude, time period and frequency of vibration.
- Loudness and pitch, noise and music, noise pollution.
Chemical Effects of Electric Current
- Effect on liquids and gases.
Some Natural Phenomena
- Lightening, types of charges and transfer and safety.
- Earthquakes and protection.
- Laws of reflection, types of reflection.
- Sunlight, care of eyes, Braille system.
Stars and the Solar System
- The moon, the stars, constellations.
- The solar system- sun and the planets.
- Artificial satellites.
Pollution of Air and Water
- Definitions, sources, case study of Taj Mahal, green house gases.
- Water pollution, sources & measures to be taken.
These 18 chapters are enough to raise many questions in the minds of the curious kids and let them explore the beauty of science and technology. All the topics have been discussed in much detail. A lot of sample question papers are also made available to the students. The publishers have managed to make the book very lively by introducing many characters. The book is colourful and is a pleasure to read. The teachers are supposed to finish all the chapters in the academic year. There are many additional exercises in the book which test the knowledge gained by the students. This book helps us connect knowledge to life outside school and is a shift from the rote method of learning. More information can always been found in the actual book which is available offline as well as online. Let’s talk about its availability & how much it costs.
NCERT books are often rated at the top as far as their content is concerned. They give the students a basic foundation required for cracking competitive exams like NLSTSE, NSO, NBTO etc. All the successful students, with all their experience, recommend them to the current students. So, one must not give them a miss.
That’s all on NCERT class 8th book. As they say, ‘Science is a gift to the mankind by nature. The more you learn, the more you know why!’.