The process of preparing for an entrance exam requires a rigorous amount of practice, concept-building, problem solving and error rectification. This complete cycle is so delicate that there is absolutely no room for wrong decisions and choices. In doing so, students are often misguided as to which books they should refer to, for concept building and for numericals and their solutions as well. The NCERT books are best known for their simplicity and putting out concepts as they are without diving much deep into more complex theories. But should you rely on NCERT Solutions? Let’s find out!
NCERT: The Benchmark
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), established in 1961, is an organisation set up by the Government of India, with headquarters located at Sri Aurbindo Marg in New Delhi, to assist and advise the central and state governments on academic matters related to school education. This article will explain the importance of NCERT solutions and how they might help you in preparing for your exams.
What classes does NCERT cover?
NCERT publishes textbooks for all subjects from Classes 1st to 12th. Besides this, NCERT prints sample question papers and books based on CBSE syllabus for use in private and government schools across the country. The books published by NCERT are recognized by all schools as benchmark study material and are recommended for preparation of national level undergraduate competitive exams like AIPMT, IIT JEE, and AIIMS etc. Recently, NCERT has launched online textbooks services where all NCERT published subject books for classes 1st to 12th(in English, Hindi and Urdu medium) are available for download.
Before we inquire whether we require NCERT solutions, we should be asking the following question:
- Recommended and Accepted throughout the nation, private and public schools alike.
- Easily available in even remote areas and cheap too.
- Board Examinations are primarily and dominantly based on the content provided by NCERT.
- Popular for tackling basic concepts and formulating strong retention in students. This comes handy in most entrance exams like JEE (Main) and AIPMT.
Is it advisable to rely on NCERT Solutions?
- Elementary method of explanation: As mentioned above, NCERT spreads it reach to all the basic concepts of every subject. This is especially beneficial in subjects like Chemistry and Mathematics. But this feature also backfires with another side of the coin: the content is limited. Due to this, NCERT fails to become a complete study package.
- Tricky concept-based questions: However, NCERT Question Banks are most popular among students, especially those of Physics. These tricky questions inserted between the chapters force students to completely think out of the box and to apply the concepts they learned. Here’s where NCERT solutions come into play. Do not refrain from referring to solutions of questions you are unable to solve. These are included only for your better understanding of the concepts and these specially designed questions of NCERT are meant to be understood for clearer concepts.
- Essential for Board Examinations: On the other hand, NCERT forms the backbone of Board Examinations. You have to be thorough with the concepts for the examination and well versed with the problems and question banks after the chapters. You can absolutely not risk skipping NCERT questions from Boards point of view. Referring to NCERT Solutions not only provides you with the detailed methodology of the problem, but also with the detailed step by step procedure which will fetch you marks in the examination.
Concept-building process is one that requires a well-oiled machinery in your mind. Not only do you need to study the correct materials but also test your knowledge through regular problem solving. Obviously as you proceed further increasing the level of problems, you are sure to encounter questions which you will fail to solve (if you don’t get stuck, the problems aren’t challenging enough which won’t really help you grow), which is completely fine. At situations as these, you must feel free to refer to the solutions and understand where you got stuck instead of ignoring the problem and moving on.
Apart from those mentioned in the textbook, solutions to all the NCERT numericals are also available all over the internet but make sure you refer to the right one. You can refer to our article on whether NCERT is enough for AIPMT.
Preparing for NCERT board exams, and need tips and tricks to cope with the expansive syllabus? Look no further, here’s everything you need to know about preparing for board, and simultaneously handling exam preparation.
All the best!