National Institute of Technology GOA, also known as NIT Goa, is one of the apex institutions of engineering and higher studies in the state of GOA. The college is one among the thirty-one National Institute of Technology established under the NIT Act 2007 (Amended 2012) of the Parliament of India. It is one of the Institutes of National Importance with full funding support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. The campus is located at Farmagudi, Ponda approximately 29 km south-east of Panaji, the capital of Goa and it is a temporary campus. The state of Goa is well connected by roadways, railways and airways with various parts of the country.
The institute was established in the year 2010 to promote higher studies in technical and allied services for the people of Goa and nearby. The college is among one of the newly built NITs in India but looking at the response it is getting from the students, it will surely become one of the leading places for technical studies in future.
- One must clear the JEE Main exam and secure at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) in Class 12th exam from any recognized board of India.
- There is special allotment of seats, which are reserved for the top 20 percentile in Class 12th exam conducted by the respective board.
- To pursue Master Degree in Engineering/Technology, a Bachelor Degree or equivalent in an appropriate area with a minimum CPI equivalent to 60% of marks as per conversion formula prescribed by the University/Institute is required. Candidates with a GATE score will be given preference.
(A) Undergraduate B.Tech Courses
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- B) Postgraduate M.Tech Courses
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (Power Electronics and Power Systems)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering( VLSI, Communication and Networking, Signal Processing, Microelectronics and Electronics Design, Electromagnetics.)
(C) P.HD Programs
- Computer Science & Engineering
Started in 2010, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) of NIT Goa is one of the founding departments of the Institute. It offers 4 years full-time B. Tech. the degree program, 2 years full-time M. Tech. degree program and PhD program in Computer Science and Engineering. The faculty members have published several research papers in these areas in national and international conferences and journals. The department invites R & D organisations, public and private sector units to enhance and develop research and teaching interface with faculty and students.
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was established during the inception of the institute in 2010. It offers undergraduate (B. Tech.), postgraduate (M. Tech in Power Electronics and Power Systems), and research programmes in the various fields of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. The faculty members are committed to providing the finest possible education for both graduate and undergraduate students. The lab facilities and the infrastructure are regularly upgraded and are well supported by the institute and the industry. The department has MoU with Power Research and Development Consultancy, Bangalore to carry out its collaborative projects
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
The Electronics and Communication Department of NIT Goa was formed in 2010. It offers B. Tech., M.Tech. in VLSI and PhD program in Electronics and Communication Engineering. The department covers following major areas in Electronics and Communication Engineering through its courses and projects: VLSI, Communication and Networking, Signal Processing, Microelectronics and Electronics Design, and Electromagnetics. Faculty members in the ECE department are committed towards teaching and research. They try to cultivate interest in students for research and technology.
- Humanities & Sciences
The Department of Humanities and Sciences of NIT Goa is multidisciplinary in its orientation and at present, it includes five disciplines: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics and English. The department has efficient faculty members, who are dedicated to teaching, research and other co-curricular activities. The objective of the department is not limited to providing only the sound understanding of the Basic Sciences and Language needed for engineering graduates, but also to make them realise their potential to become successful engineers.
Rankings and Reputation
- By NIRF (2017): 76
- AAA+ Ranking by Career360
NIT Goa Cutoff
Opening and Closing Rank for Different Category in NIT GOA 2017 (First Round Stats).
NIT Goa JEE Main Cut off 2017 – Category Wise (Round 1)
|COURSE||CATEGORY||Quota OS||Quota HS|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||General||10538||12176||24872||24872|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Schedule Caste||2796||3065||–||–|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Schedule Tribe||1127||1127||3380||3380|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||OBC Person With Disability||247||247||–||–|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Other Backward Class||4745||5145||20896||20896|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||General||7748||10786||35217||72405|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||Schedule Caste||2439||2654||3912||3912|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||Schedule Tribe||1319||1319||–||–|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||General Person with Disability||556||556||–||–|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||Other Backward Class||4869||5001||–||–|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||General||6537||7575||11222||15560|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||Schedule Caste||1551||1698||–||–|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||Schedule Tribe||886||886||–||–|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||Other Backward Class||2257||3891||15793||15793|
|OPO||General Opening Rank|
|OPC||General Closing Rank|
|BCO||OBC Opening Rank|
|BCC||OBC Closing Rank|
|SCO||SC Opening Rank|
|SCC||SC Closing Rank|
|STO||ST Opening Rank|
|STC||ST Closing Rank|
|OPPDO||General-PwD Opening Rank|
|OPPDC||General-PwD Closing Rank|
|OBPDO||OBC-PwD Opening Rank|
|OBPDC||OBC-PwD Closing Rank|
|SCPDO||SC-PwD Opening Rank|
|SCPDC||SC-PwD Closing Rank|
|STPDO||ST-PwD Opening Rank|
|STPDC||ST-PwD Closing Rank|
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹4,000|
|Inst. Dev. Contribution (1st and 2nd Sem only)||₹4,000|
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹62,500|
|One Time Fees||₹1,500|
|Hostel Seat Rent (per Semester)||₹3,000|
|Hostel Establishment Charges (per Semester)||₹4,500|
|Mess Advance (Six Monthly)||₹17,250|
- 100% Tuition Fee waiver for SC/ST/PH students
- Full remission of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students whose family income is less than Rs.1 lakh per annum
- Remission of 2/3rd of the Tuition Fee for General & OBC students whose family income is between Rs.1 lakh to Rs.5 lakh per annum
NIT Goa is located at Farmagudi, Ponda, and has a temporary campus. At present, the institute functions out of the Goa Engineering College (GEC) campus. It was earlier demanded by NIT Goa that the space for a permanent campus, spanning 300 acres from Concullum to Balli, be allocated, but it wasn’t granted until recently. In the recent turn of events, NIT Goa is all set to receive a 120 acre land for its development.
There had been quite a bit of controversy regarding land allocation because the Government of Goa was adamant about releasing land only if 50% reservation is provided to only Goan students. The request was granted by the Government of India with effect from the academic batch 2012-13. But the then Union HRD ministry wanted Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep students to be grouped with Goa students for the 50% reservation.
Recently, however, after the Union government agreed to a 40% reservation of the NIT Goa seats for Goan candidates, land was allocated. The 40% reservation is with effect from 2017-18. NIT Goa Director even spoke about his plans for securing the campus by constructing walls around it, once the land can be used. He also plans a cycle track around the campus along which trees will be planted. The deadline of campus construction is set at 3 years from now.
The campus is well-equipped, with classrooms, auditorium well-equipped labs, a 1GB leased line fibre-optic cable, and other state-of-the-art equipment. The NIT Goa hostel has three hostels for boys and one for girls. Campus life is active, with a number of societies such as TESLA (The Electrical Engineer’s association), INVICTUS (the sports meet), cultural events, jam sessions, and so on.
How to reach
There are two ways to reach Goa. First is if you fly to Goa you can land on the Dabolim airport. The ‘Dabolim Airport’ in Vasco, caters to domestic and international flights that stop en route to other destinations in India. This airport is at a distance of around 30 Km (45 Minute ride) from NIT Goa.
Another way of reaching Goa is via railways. Goa has two rail lines-one run by the South Western Railway and the other by the Konkan Railway. The railway station closest to the Institute is ‘Madgaon Railway Station’, situated at a distance of 20 Km which takes 30 minutes.
The campus is not very hospitable right now since it is bein run through Goa engineering college. But the following places nearby help in easy availability of day to day essentials. Here is a list of these
- Hospitals & Clinics: Students can visit any government hospital & to a private hospital if referred by the doctor of the government hospital. All the expenses will be reimbursed at CGHS rates.
- Malls & General Stores: Navdurga Sahakar Shopping Centre, Sahkar Bhandar & more within a radius of 5 km.
- Fitness centres & youth clubs: Bandora youth club, Ramani gym, Powermax fitness centre.
- ATMs: There are two ATMs located very close to the NIT Goa campus. One of these is HDFC bank’s ATM and the other is Syndicate Bank.
Let’s have a look at the facilities that are available inside the campus.
Facilities Available @ NIT GOA
- Ragging Free Environment
- Air-Conditioned Class Rooms and Laboratories
- Individual student care through Proctorial System
- Special Care/Remedial Classes for Weaker Students
- Personality Development Programme
- Industry Institute Interaction
- Global Exposure Programme
- Ultra Modern Laboratory and Infrastructure
- 24-hours free Internet Kiosk
- Modern Teaching Methodologies
- Intensive and Vigorous Study Schedule
- Video Conferencing Facility
- Functional English and Public Speaking Courses
- Special Programme on Interview Techniques
- Wi-Fi Campus
- Yoga & Meditation Facilities.
- Central library.
- Separate girls’ and boys’ Hostel
- Cultural and tech fest
Technival, which is held in November, is the technical fest of the National Institute of Technology Goa. Students of all years are actively involved in it- both in organizing and participating. Also, Coriolis is the annual Science and Technology Festival organised by the students of NIT GOA. ‘Spectra’ is the first techno-cultural student fest of the institute.
After getting specialized degrees, the final aim of every student is to get a good job with a handsome salary. NIT GOA helps students realize their dreams and desires and therefore works every bit to create dynamic platforms for them. It has collaborated with many well-known brand names of the country in its endeavor to get all its top-ranked students placed.
PLACEMENT STATISTICS 2016-17
Of the 19 CSE students, 13 got placed so far. Of the 19 ECE students, 16 got placed & out of 13 students of EEE, 10 got placed. This brings the total number of placed students to 39 of the total 51 students who took part in the procedure.
AVERAGE PACKAGE OFFERED
- Average package offered stood at 4.5 lakhs per annum.
HIGHEST PACKAGE OFFERED
- Highest package offered to a student was 12 lakhs per annum
Here is the list of recruiters which offered jobs to the students of NIT Goa.
1. Microsoft Services
6. Great West Global
9. Indian Navy
11. L & T
Affiliations, Recognition, and other Achievements
- NIT GOA is a premier Technological Institution approved by the AICTE (UGC) under Ministry Of HRD and run on fund provided by UGC.
- It is one of the best Engineering colleges in GOA and ranked among the Top 5 best engineering colleges in GOA in a survey conducted by the Education Giant EDUFEVER.
- Aid Status – UGC Aided
- It is an AAA+ ranked college.
National Institute of Technology GOA is headed by young, energetic, prudent and visionary technocrats. It boasts of around 50+ well-skilled, educated members as the faculty and sufficient technical and non-technical staff that manages the institution.
This is the official website of NIT Goa.
Let us know if something is missing in the above article! Waiting for your feedback in the comments box.
You can look up similar articles about NIT Delhi and NIT Surathkal!