NIT Hamirpur or the National Institute of Technology is a public engineering college located in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India. It is one of the thirty one National Institutes of Technology established, administered and funded by MHRD. NIT Hamirpur offers a comprehensive curriculum for undergraduate, graduate and doctorate studies in various fields of engineering, pure sciences and humanities. The College is run by the able hands of Prof. Ajay K Sharma who is the Director. He can reached via [email protected] or contacted through +91 1972 222308.
NIT Hamirpur – History
The institute came into existence on 7th, August 1986 as Regional Engineering College, Hamirpur in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, India, it was a joint enterprise of the Government of India and the Government of Himachal Pradesh. The classes commenced at Government Polytechnic College, Hamirpur as REC Hamirpur did not have a campus initially. The classes and administration moved to current location in 1987 when few buildings were constructed.
At the inception, the institute only had three departments, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. Later, two more departments Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science and Engineering were added in 1988 and 1989 respectively. The department of Architecture was established in 2000. Recently in 2013, Chemical Engineering department also came into existence. The institute only offered undergraduate courses until 2005, when it started offering graduate and Ph.D programs.
On 26 June 2002, REC Hamirpur was awarded the status of deemed university and upgraded into a National Institute of Technology. As a result of this transition the institute came under the sole purview of the Government of India. It was awarded the status of Institute of National Importance by an Act of Parliament along with other NITs and IITs. NIT Hamirpur has been ranked as best NIT in terms of infrastructure by the World Bank in 2007.
Candidates need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria to get admission to NIT, Hamirpur.
- A candidate needs to qualify the JEE (Main) examination.
- The candidate should have passed the 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with either one of Chemistry, Biotechnology or Biology.
- The candidate should have secured at least 75% marks (65% for the SC/ST candidates) in Class 12 or should be in the top 20 percentile in his/her respective Class 12 board examination.
- Admissions to NIT, Hamirpur are granted on the basis of a candidate’s rank in the JEE (Main) examination.
NIT Hamirpur has 15 departments and 2 centres of excellence. The academic departments at NIT Hamirpur include the following:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Management and Humanities
- Energy and Environment
- Material Science
The two centres of excellence located at NIT Hamirpur are
- Centre for Excellence in Energy & Environment
- Centre for Material Science and Engineering
Given below is the break-up for the Institute fee and the hostel fee under various heads.
NIT, Hamirpur – Institute Fee
|Caution Money ( One-Time& Refundable)||3000|
|Tuition Fees Per Semester||62,500|
|Other Fees Per Semester||7500|
|Caution Money –Hostel (One-Time & Refundable)||1000|
|Caution Money- Mess (One-Time & Refundable)||2500|
|Hostel Seat Rent (Per Semester)||1500|
|Hostel Est. Fund||2400|
|Mess Advance (Per Semester)||18,000|
- The SC/ST/PH candidates are eligible for 100% Tuition Fee waiver.
- The General and OBC category candidates with a family income of less than Rs. 1 lakh per annum are eligible for full remission of the tuition fee.
- The General and OBC category candidates with a family income between Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum are eligible for remission of 2/3rd of the tuition fees.
The campus is situated at Anu in Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh and is 4 Kms from main bus stand of Hamirpur on Hamirpur – Tauni Devi road. The city of Hamirpur is well connected with the rest of the country by road. The nearest broad gauge rail head is at Una (Himachal Pradesh) which is 80 Kms from Hamirpur. The institute campus is situated, at an altitude of 900 meters above sea level. It spawns across 320 acres and is located on a hilly terrain which is surrounded by pine trees.
The campus has a picturesque surrounding facing snow clad Dhauladhar mountain ranges. Lush green pine trees surround it. The campus is well laid with roads, electric installations, water supply, underground drainage, etc. The place has healthy climate with moderate temperature ranging from 1°C to 38°C with an altitude of 900 meters.
Being a residential campus, there are ten boys’ hostels and three girls’ hostels, with residences for the faculty and staff. Some hostels have four-seated or triple-seated rooms, while others have doublets and singlets. Mega Hostel is the newest and largest in its capacity.
- Kailash Boys’ Hostel
- Shivalik Boys’ Hostel
- Dhauladhar Boys’ Hostel
- Vindhyachal Boys’ Hostel
- Mani Mahesh Boys’ Hostel
- Neelkanth Boys’ Hostel
- Satpura Hostel
- Mega Hostel Block-III
- Himadri Hostel
- Himgiri Hostel
- Parvati Girls’ Hostel
- Ambika Girls’ Hostel
Computer Centre is a central facility, which caters to the needs of academic departments. The aim of the centre is to provide professional services, promote and assist the use of new computing technology among the students, staff and administration.
The institute library was set up in 1986 in one room of Government Polytechnic Hamirpur and was shifted to the institute campus in 1988 in Visvesvarya Block. At present it is in a separate building with the floor area of 3200 square meters. The library has more than 75,000 books and numerous scientific journals in both print and electronic format. The reading halls of the library can accommodate around 600 people at a time.
NIT Hamirpur provides sports facilities for indoor and outdoor games. Teams are sent out to compete in university-level sports competition. Sports facilities include cricket, football, lawn tennis, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, badminton and athletics.
NIT Hamirpur has its own health centre. It is equipped with basic medical facilities and in case of emergency, patients are referred to the Zonal Hospital, Hamirpur.
Training & Placement department was established in this institute in the year 1995. Since then lots of activities are being conducted within the ambit of this department for the benefit of students.
- Every year, more than 50 reputed companies including MNC’s visit NIT Hamirpur
- More than 75% of total students placed under campus placement. Recruitment for every batch starts from August onwards. Above 30% of students are getting more than one placement.
- Almost all eligible students are placed in companies of International and National repute under campus placement.
- In every branch about 15% students crack various post graduate exams like CAT, GRE, GATE, GMAT etc. These students get recruited by top universities around the world.
The table below gives a summary of the Undergraduate placement statistics for 2015 and 2016.
|Total no. of Recruiters||45||54|
|Highest Package Offered||Rs. 16.85 Lacs Per Annum||Rs. 16.85 Lacs Per Annum|
|Average Package Offered||Rs. 4.70 Lacs Per Annum||Rs. 5 Lacs Per Annum|
Some of the reputed recruiters who frequent the NIT, Hamirpur campus for their manpower needs include Oracle, Verizon, Maruti, Hero Motor Corp., Ford, TCS, Godrej, Snapdeal, Wipro, Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd., IBM, etc.
There are a number of activities that the students of NITH participate in. Let me list a few of them.
CSEC: This is a student’s club of the Computer Science & Engineering Department of NIT Hamirpur. Being a student’s club of one of the most prominent branches of the institute, CSEC plans a number of educational events, lectures, workshops, conventions, insight meets and various other events to help out the students of Computer Science and Information Technology branch with their overall course and development.
C-SOC: CSOC-Society of Civil Engineering is the departmental student body of Department of civil engineering, National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur (H.P.) which organizes various technical/non-technical events, workshops, interactive sessions, Alumni interactions for students of NIT Hamirpur round the year. An annual techno-cultural fest of Department of Civil Engineering, “SYGNET” is organized in which plethora technical/non-technical events are held, ending the academic session with an annual prize distribution ceremony, in which students also give ON-STAGE performances.
CSS: Students of NIT Hamirpur are voluntarily getting involved in the ‘Community Services Scheme’ because of many reasons. Sometimes there are unclean roadside verges, which need cleanliness. They always assert that it is the institute administration or government or charitable organizations job to work for the welfare of those who are in need.
Administration of NIT Hamirpur helps communities through its different programs. Students’ participation in the community services scheme has reminded that there are more important things in the real world along with attending the classes or passing the exams. Following are the example of community service that the student community participates in:
- Cleanliness of the campus
- Helping in the local fire
- Tutoring children living in slums
- Awareness program about the spread of disease hygiene etc
- Use of Science and Technology to uplift living standards of local villagers simultaneously keeping
- in mind the environment impact
The mission of National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur Alumni Association is to provide a platform to never abandon the memories, made during the years at this Institute. In an endeavor to bring closer those who were once very close to each other, the web site serves as a portal for resources and a mode of communication for the alumni. Alumni can update their information, such as mailing addresses, email, telephone numbers and employment information to stay in touch. If one has any questions they may reach out to Er.Vinod Thakur, who is the President of the Alumni Association via email to [email protected] .
- According to Edu-Rand Rankings of 2015, NIT Hamirpur is ranked as the 30th best Engineering College of India.
- It has also been ranked 11th among 31 NITs.
- In 2004, the students of NITH started a literacy mission called “Prayas”, to help the poor children residing around the NITH campus. Prayas aims to help kids through the problems faced by them in their studies. The daily classes of Prayas are held at lecture halls of NITH which are attended by more than 150 kids and around 100 student tutors.
- GLUG NITH is a moniker for the GNU/Linux User Group of National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur. GLUG NITH is mainly designed to cater to the GNU/Linux related needs of the students, faculty, staff, and anybody else belonging to NIT Hamirpur. GLUG NITH organizes workshops promoting Linux OS, open source software and creating an environment of coding & collaboration among the students.
- Rotaract club, NIT Hamirpur is an affiliate of Rotary club Hamirpur and has rendered its services for the welfare of the people of Hamirpur. The members of the club actively support the local community, raise money for charity and conduct blood donation camps.
NIT Hamirpur is one of the best NITs. Check out the ranking of all NITs in this article!
The National Institutes of Technology (NITs), the second best engineering institutes after IITs, are a group of premier public engineering colleges in India. The NITs receive special recognition and grant from the Government of India, and an act of parliament has declared them as Institutes of National Importance. They offer many courses for bachelors, masters, and doctorate levels in different branches of engineering and technology. In this article, we have provided NIT rankings & discussed Top 10 NITs for your benefit.Admission to the undergraduate course (B.Tech) in NITs is through the highly-competitive Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Mains. Every year, a large number of students appear for various entrance exams to get admission in the premier engineering colleges in India. After their results, the students face the difficult task of selecting the best engineering college for their higher studies. With so many NITs spread across the country – some being more reputed than the newer IITs regarding placement, campus life, brand value, etc.- picking one institute can be tricky.
For more such articles, keep following us here!