NIT Jalandhar: All You Need to Know
Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, also known as NIT Jalandhar, is one of the apex institutions of engineering and higher studies in the state of Punjab. The college is one among the thirty-one National Institutes of Technology in India established under the NIT Act 2007 (Amended 2012) of the Parliament of India as Institutes of National Importance. It has full funding support from the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
NIT Jalandhar was established in the year 1987 as Punjab Regional Engineering College, Jalandhar (PREC) in a joint venture between the Government of Punjab and Government of India. Later in 2002, the college was upgraded to Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar. In the same year, the college was granted the Deemed University status with the approval of the University Grants Commission.
- One has to clear the JEE (MAIN) exam and secure at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) in Class 12th exam from any recognized board of India.
- There is special allotment of seats reserved for the top 20 percentile in Class 12th exam conducted by the respective board.
- Admission in postgraduate M.Tech programs is on the basis of marks obtained by the students in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering-GATE and through CCMT Counselling.
Courses Offered by NIT Jalandhar
(A) Under Graduate Courses
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering(CSE)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering(ECE)
- Industrial and Production Engineering(IPE)
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering(ICE)
- Mechanical Engineering(ME)
- Textile Technology(TT)
(B) Post Graduate Courses
(i) M.Tech Courses
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Information Security
- Chemical Engineering
- Control and Instrumentation Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Manufacturing Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- VLSI Design
- Structural and Construction Engineering
- Textile Engineering and Management
(II) M.SC Courses
(C) Ph.D. Courses:
- Humanities & Management
NIT Jalandhar Fee Structure
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹62,500|
|Mess Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹5,000|
|Hostel Mess Advance (per Semester)||₹21,000|
- Fee Structure is approximate.
- The course fees for Ph.D. and M.Tech are as prescribed, fixed and approved by Govt. of India.
NIT Jalandhar Cutoff
Opening and Closing Rank for Different Category in NIT Jalandhar 2016 (First Round Stats).
(1) General Category
|4-year B.Tech. Course|
|HS||Computer Science and Engineering||1162||8783|
|HS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||9025||13839|
|HS||Industrial and Production Engineering||24860||38501|
|HS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||16789||31192|
|OS||Computer Science and Engineering||2589||5833|
|OS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||7398||9928|
|OS||Industrial and Production Engineering||11756||22754|
|OS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||13083||19375|
(2) OBC Category
|4-year B.Tech. Course|
|HS||Computer Science and Engineering||3111||8474|
|HS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||6692||17711|
|HS||Industrial and Production Engineering||22271||41816|
|HS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||18718||33170|
|OS||Computer Science and Engineering||1686||2875|
|OS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||3451||4167|
|OS||Industrial and Production Engineering||7007||7849|
|OS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||5569||6970|
(3) SC Category
|4-year B.Tech. Course|
|HS||Computer Science and Engineering||1098||1671|
|HS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||1874||2496|
|HS||Industrial and Production Engineering||4852||7317|
|HS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||3171||5383|
|OS||Computer Science and Engineering||581||1607|
|OS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||1886||2294|
|OS||Industrial and Production Engineering||3713||4581|
|OS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||3556||4378|
(4) ST Category
|4-year B.Tech. Course|
|HS||Computer Science and Engineering||2263||11408|
|HS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||13260||24094|
|HS||Industrial and Production Engineering||27355||34898|
|HS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||39587||39587|
|OS||Computer Science and Engineering||475||888|
|OS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||954||1172|
|OS||Industrial and Production Engineering||1693||2506|
|OS||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||1891||2440|
|OPO||General Opening Rank|
|OPC||General Closing Rank|
|BCO||OBC Opening Rank|
|BCC||OBC Closing Rank|
|SCO||SC Opening Rank|
|SCC||SC Closing Rank|
|STO||ST Opening Rank|
|STC||ST Closing Rank|
Rankings and Reputation
- By Edu Rand in 2015: 42
- By The Week in 2015: 41
- AAAARanking by Career360
Affiliations, Recognition, and other Achievement
- NIT Jalandharis a premier Technological Institution approved by AICTE (UGC) under the Ministry Of HRD and run on fund provided by UGC.
- It is one of the best Engineering colleges in Punjab and ranked among Top 10 best engineering colleges in Punjab in a survey conducted by the Education Giant EDUFEVER.
- Aid Status – UGC Aided
- It is an AAAA ranked college.
Placement Statistics of NIT Jalandhar 2016
As you’d expect at any NIT, the college has 100 percent placements. About 40 companies participate in the placement process, and the average salary goes up to about Rs. 6 lpa.
- No. of Eligible Students: 568
- No. of Job Offers: 431
- No. of Double Job offers: 58
- No. of Students Placed:373
Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar has collaborated with many well-known brand names of the country in its endeavors to get all its top-ranked students placed.
- Highest Package: Rs 35 Lakhs/Annum by Works Applications
- Average Package: Rs 5.76 Lakhs/Annum
Top Recruiters of NIT Jalandhar
- A.K Vidyamandir
- Axis Bank
- First American
- General Electrical
- Godrej Agro vet
- Hero MotoCorp
- India Mart
- Indian Navy
- Polaris Group
- L&T ECC
- L&T Infotech
- Maruti Suzuki
- Reliance Industries
Faculty at NIT Jalandhar
Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, is headed by young, energetic, prudent and visionary technocrats. It boasts around 150+ well skilled & educated and dynamic members as the faculty and sufficient technical and non-technical staff that manage and regulate the institution.
The technical festival, TechNITI is held in September while the cultural fest Utkansh is held in March.
TechNITis call it the ‘passion for innovation’ or a ‘celebration of creativity’- it’s all about setting your wildest dreams and passion into motion. techNITi is the annual techno-managerial festival of NIT Jalandhar. It is an opportunity for students all over the country from diverse fields to unite and celebrate various identities! Started in 2006, it is now recognized as the biggest festival of its kind in the north zone. Over the years, the fest has been giving thousands of students a platform to express in the form of Coding, Robotics, Automotives, Quest, Music, Dance, Photography, Lan Gaming, and more! With cash distribution of 12,00,000+, techNITi’15 V.1 witnessed the highest ever participation and all an all-time high level of enthusiasm among the participants. Team techNITi is dedicated to delivering its best with more than 90+events, 10+Mega events and 8 Pro-Shows.
Utkansh is the annual cultural fest of Dr B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar. It is a three-day extravaganza comprising of competitions, seminars, symposiums and workshops in which students from all across the country participate. The festival has been identified as the convergence of cultures and confluence of the best talents from across the country, showcasing the celebration of the spirit of healthy competition, which is the essence of true education. Utkansh gives a platform to students so that they can express themselves in the form of music, dramatics, dancing, photography, oratory, filmmaking and more.
The Institute campus is widespread over an area of 154 acres. It has many topographical features with clean and wide roads surrounded by a green belt.
The campus area has been broadly divided into different functional zones:
(i) institution zone for teaching departments/centers/administration
(ii) residential zone for the faculty and staff
(iii) students’ hostel zone.
Facilities Available @ NIT Jalandhar
- Ragging Free Environment
- Air-Conditioned Class Rooms and Laboratories
- Individual student care through Proctorial System
- Special Care/Remedial Classes for Weaker Students
- Personality Development Programme
- Industry Institute Interaction
- Global Exposure Programme
- Ultra Modern Laboratory and Infrastructure
- 24-hours free Internet Kiosk
- Modern Teaching Methodologies
- Intensive and Vigorous Study Schedule
- Video Conferencing Facility
- Functional English and Public Speaking Courses
- Special Programme on Interview Techniques
- Wi-Fi Campus
- Yoga & Meditation Facilities.
- Central library.
- Separate girls’ and boys’ Hostel
- Cultural and tech fest
- Own Banking, Postal, and Guest House Facilities
Yes, we know that NIT Jalandhar is a relatively new college, but the chilled-out environment and the lovely infrastructure ensures that you’ll have good four years at the institute. Oh, and needless to say, the NIT tag will make a huge difference in shaping your career.
For more such interesting articles, keep following us here.