NIT or the National Institute of Technology, Surathkal, formerly known as Karnataka Regional Engineering College (KREC), is a public engineering university at Surathkal, Karnataka. It is also popularly known as NIT Surathkal and is located on the outskirts of Mangalore.
It was founded in 1960 as KREC while today, it is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India and is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the Government of India. It is a top engineering and science institute in the state of Karnataka, under the leadership of its Director In-Charge, Prof. K.N. Lokesh.
It has a suburban campus, in close proximity to the Arabian Sea. National Highway 66 runs through the campus and serves as the major mode of access. NIT Surathkal has a lush green 295.35-acre campus. Residential Campus is self-sufficient in every aspect. Staff Quarters consists of more than 200 residences with both independent houses and flats. Residential campus is made up of Director’s quarters, Professors & Asst professors quarters, Lectures & Asst lectures quarters, Warden quarters, Bachelors quarters and Non-teaching staff colony.
Staff club, shopping complex, banks with ATM facility, post office, schools, hospital, guest house, cafeterias, playground are present on the campus for the benefits of staff.
The main building is the core region of the academic area. It is located in front of the main gate. It consists of Board of Director’s chamber, classrooms, academic section, and admission section. Additional Teaching Block (ATB) is situated left of the main building which has seminar hall & classrooms.
The NIT Surathkal Library is housed in a spacious three-storied building adjoining the Main building of the Institute on the Southern side. The library, with a floor area of 2,758 Sq meters is segregated into two wings.
The Central Computer Centre is situated in front of SJA (Silver Jubilee Auditorium). The Central Computer Centre has 24×7 load balanced internet connectivity comprising of four E1 (2 Gbps 1:1) lines from BSNL and NIC, campus-wide LAN (10 Gbps backbone) reaching academic buildings, residences, and hostel rooms.
NIT Surathkal lies on the coastal belt of Karnataka, on the National Highway 66, at about 22 km from Mangalore towards Udupi. It lies close to Mangalore International Airport, Mangalore Railway Station and the Mangalore Port. Bus Routes from Mumbai, Goa, and Bangalore (that terminate at Udupi-Manipal) pass through the College and visitors can disembark right away.
Connectivity (How to Reach NIT Surathkal)
Nearest Airport : Mangalore Airport
Distance from Airport : 20km
Nearest Railway Station : Mangalore Junction Railway Station
Distance from Railway Station : 25km
NIT Surathkal Surathkal offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Engineering, Science, and Management. The institute has 14 departments and 11 support centres with about 200 faculty members, 300 support staff, 5,500 students and 15,500 alumni worldwide.
- The normal duration of the course leading to B.Tech degree will be EIGHT semesters.
- The normal duration of the course leading to M.Tech.degree will be FOUR semesters
- The normal duration of the course leading to M.C.A.degree will be SIX semesters.
- The normal duration of the course leading to M.B.A.degree will be FOUR semesters.
- The normal duration of the course leading to M.Sc. degree will be FOUR semesters.
B.Tech (Undergraduate Programme) – Eight semesters
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
I. M.Tech Post Graduate Program – Four Semesters
Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics
- Marine Structures
- Remote Sensing and GIS
- Water Resources Engineering and Management
- Chemical Plant Design
- Industrial Pollution Control
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Construction Technology and Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
Computer Science & Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering – Information Security
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Power and Energy Systems
Electronics and Communication Engineering
- VLSI Design
- Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Computational Mathematics
- Thermal Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Design and Precision Engineering
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Process Metallurgy
- Materials Engineering
II. M. Tech. by Research
In all the above M. Tech. Programs and in the Department of Mining – M. Tech. Research Program namely “Rock Excavation Technology and Management“.
III. M.C.A. (Master of Computer Applications)- Six semesters
This is a three-year (six semesters) professional Master’s Degree in computer science awarded in India. The course was designed to meet the growing demand for qualified professionals in the field of Information Technology. It is a postgraduate course that can be taken up after obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree. The MCA programme is inclined more toward Application Development and thus has more emphasis on latest programming language and tools to develop better and faster applications. The MCA program focuses on providing a sound theoretical background as well as good practical exposure to students in the relevant areas. It is intended to provide a modern, industry-oriented education in applied computer science. It aims at producing trained professionals who can successfully meet the demands of the information technology industry. Typically, an MCA is a full-time degree course with a duration of three years (six semesters). It covers various aspects of computational theory, programming, algorithm design and optimization, network and database management, mobile technologies, electronics, mathematics, probability, statistics, accounting, finance, etc.
The admission will be on the basis of performance in the prescribed entrance examination called NIMCET (National Institute of Technology MCA Entrance Test). The NIMCET is NIT MCA Common Entrance Test, a National Level Test conducted by NITs for admission into their MCA programme at the NITs at Agartala, Allahabad, Bhopal, Calicut, Durgapur, Jamshedpur, Kurukshetra, Raipur, Surathkal, Tiruchirappalli, and Warangal.
The Curriculum and Syllabi of Master of Computer Applications (MCA) programme offered by NITs are designed considering the needs of different Information Technology firms in India and abroad. MCA graduates have a high potential for jobs in IT Sector.
Master of Technology (CMA) degree is a postgraduate program in engineering or technology field. This is 2-year specialization program in a specific branch of engineering or a technical field. Students enter the M. Tech. (CMA) programs after completing a 4-year undergraduate program in engineering resulting in the award of a Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology degree, or a 5-year program in Science or Applied Sciences resulting in the award of a Master of Science degree. Admission for M.Tech in CMA is done through Centralized Counselling for M. Tech. /M. Arch. / M. Plan (CCMT).
- M.B.A. (Master of Business Administration) – Four semesters
- M.Sc. in Chemistry – (Four semesters)
- M.Sc. in Physics – (Four semesters)
Ph. D. Program: Ph. D. Programs are offered in 14 Departments in various course and interdisciplinary specializations.
The B. Tech admissions were based on the AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance Exam). The exam consists of three sections on Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. From the 2013 academic year onwards, admission is through the JEE (Mains) test, and ranks are based on 60% of the marks scored in the test, and 40% in the class 12/Second PU Board exams.
Undergraduate admissions were based on a state-wise reciprocal system. 50% of the seats were reserved for students from the home state of Karnataka. Until 2007, the rest of the 50% was distributed over other NITs, with each state having a fixed quota of seats. However, since the batch starting in 2008, the remaining 50% has been made open to all other states.
10% of the seats in the undergraduate class is reserved for foreign students under the Direct Admission of Student Abroad (DASA) scheme. Admissions are based on the aggregate score obtained out of 2400 in the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2, Physics and Chemistry.
Candidates can check the eligibility criteria for the B. Tech courses offered by NIT Surathkal below.
- A Candidate needs to qualify the JEE (Main) examination to be eligible for admission to NIT Surathkal.
- The Candidate must have scored at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) in Class 12 or be in the top 20 percentile in his/her respective board.
- The candidates must have studied Physics & Mathematics as compulsory subjects and any one of Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/Technical Vocational subjects.
- Admissions to NIT Surathkal are granted on the basis of a candidate’s rank in the JEE (Main) examination.
Candidates can check the fee structure for the B. Tech. Courses from the table given below:
|Caution Money (One-Time & Refundable)||4000|
|Tuition Fees (for each Semester)||62,500|
|Other Fees (for each Semester)||4000|
|Hostel Seat Rent (for each Semester)||4000|
Mode of Payment:
- Institute fee should be paid through SBI ONLINE-“SBI Collect” only.
- Students who have availed a bank loan may transfer the Institute fee to the Institute’s Account No. 10175365060, IFSC CODE SBIN0002273.
- After transferring the fee students can submit the Bank advice to the Institute’s cash Section and send the details of transaction no, date, Student name, and Roll No, to the email id: [email protected]
- The hostel fee is to be paid through SBI Online- “SBI COLLECT” only to the Hostel Account No. 10175365117.
Waiver of Fees:
- For SC/ST/PH candidates, there’s a 100% waiver of the tuition fees.
- Full remission of the tuition fee for General and OBC candidates with family income less than Rs. 1 lakh per annum.
- Remission of 2/3rd of the tuition fee for General and OBC candidate with family income between Rs. 1.5 lakh to Rs. 5 lakh per annum.
Candidates can check the full details of the 2017-18 fee structure on the institute’s official link.
Cut off Marks/Ranks
OPENING AND CLOSING RANKS FOR VARIOUS COURSES: JEE (Main) – 2017
All the mentioned ranks are category-wise all India ranks.
NIT Surathkal Cut-off Marks for the four-year B. Tech Course (Round 1) – General Category
|Quota||Branch Name||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|HS||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||6406||8675|
|HS||Electronics & Communication Engineering||1552||6383|
|HS||Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||10886||17025|
|OS||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||1676||4455|
|OS||Electronics & Communication Engineering||1936||3747|
|OS||Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||11521||13602|
NIT Surathkal Cut-off Marks for the four-year B. Tech Course (Round 7) – General Category
|Quota||Branch Name||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|HS||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||7571||14037|
|HS||Electronics & Communication Engineering||1552||7875|
|HS||Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||19529||28700|
|OS||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||1676||7572|
|OS||Electronics & Communication Engineering||3182||5539|
|OS||Metallurgical & Materials Engineering||14681||18158|
Research at NIT Surathkal is an integral part of the curriculum and thus the essential component in teaching learning process. One of the greatest things about research at NIT Surathkal is its diversity — it gives the students the opportunity to further innovate through formal education by contributing to do something that they are passionate about. It is a success story at NIT Surathkal because the students and faculty have the ability to learn something new, whether it relates to academics or discovering something new about a related domain.
Research encompasses collaboration between students and faculty, aimed at either the discovery of new knowledge or building or experimenting the foundation of existing knowledge in a new dimension. This enables the students to embark on research that is both relevant to their studies and future career paths, and NIT Surathkal promotes them to have the best experience possible.
Research at faculty level addresses a variety of exciting problems, attempting to provide solutions that are different from what has been proposed earlier and offers counter intuitive insights that will challenge the established viewpoints. Not only does our research make significant advancements to existing body of knowledge but also enriches the classroom experience which will enhance the teaching learning process. Thus, members of the faculty at NIT Surathkal undertake research on a wide range of topics and these research endeavors are funded either internally (scheme: Seed Grant for newly joined faculty) or by external sources such as the Government of India and other funding bodies. Thus, the members of the faculty promote and deeply involved in their own independent research in their respective discipline as well as interdisciplinary domains. This activity in the Institute brings up its intellectual base.
NIT Surathkal provides a wide breadth of research opportunities for talented students to discover something special in their respective field and take advantage of the facilities and infrastructure available during their stay at NIT Surathkal. There are a number of unique opportunities for students to participate in research and make a meaningful contribution to the academia of different disciplines. For example, Undergraduate students get involved in research oriented “mini projects” which are part of their regular courses in the curriculum, and also in the “major/final year project work” in their fourth year of study. Most of the time, interestingly, these kinds of work result in very good publications which are very much required for the students towards their higher studies.
Research Outcome: NIT Surathkal Surathkal is known for its quality publications in academia, businesses, public institutions, NGOs, and the Government because its publications are rigorous, clear and widely accessible articles which address emerging challenges in science and technology, and engineering.
During 2015-2016, a total of 74 ongoing sponsored research projects were being carried out across all departments and the funding was to the tune of INR 36 crores.
Currently, there are 69 on-going sponsored research projects which are being carried out across all the departments and the funding is to the tune of INR 46.48 crores.
Normally the placements in NIT Surathkal commence in the beginning of the final year (Pre-final Semester) i.e. in the month of July. Prior to this, an invitation is sent to all previous recruiters in the month of May. Along with the invitation, a form is provided seeking the company profile & information. After getting the willingness from the companies, they are prioritized and a schedule is prepared. The date of visit is intimated to the companies in June. On the allotted day the company visits the campus, makes pre-placement talk, conducts tests and interviews and selects the candidates.
Candidates can see the impeccable year-on-year placement record of NIT Surathkal from the table given below:
NIT-K Surathkal, Branch-wise Placement Statistics for B. Tech.
|Branch||Total Eligible Students||No. of Placed Students||Total Eligible Students||No. of Placed Students|
|E & C||87||83||92||87|
|E & E||85||77||81||73|
|Metallurgical & Materials||33||28||28||20|
Candidates can check the detailed placement record from the links given below:
Some of the renowned companies that regularly recruit from NIT Surathkal are Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Amazon, Bajaj Auto, Microsoft, Dell, Visa, Oracle, etc.
ALSTOM PROJECTS INDIA LTD.
AREVA T&D INDIA LIMITED
BHARAT ELECTRONICS (BEL)
BPCL (REFINERY) -MUMBAI
COAL INDIA LTD
COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION (CSC),
CONSOLIDATED CONSTRUCTION CONSORTIUM LTD.
COSMIC CIRCUITS PRIVATE LIMITED
CUMMINS INDIA LTD
D.E. SHAW INDIA SOFTWARE PVT LTD (DESIS)
DELL INDIA R&D / IT
FUTURES FIRST INFO SERVICES PVT LTD
GE INDIA TECHNOLOGY CENTRE(JFWTC)
GEODESIC INFORMATION SYSTEM
GODREJ & BOYCE MFG.CO.LTD.
HERO HONDA MOTORS LTD.
HINDUSTAN COCA-COLA BEVERAGES
IFLEX SOLUTIONS LTD
IGATE GLOBAL SOLUTIONS
INTERGRAPH CONSULTING PVT. LTD.
ITC INFOTECH INDIA LTD.
- J K
TYRE & INDUSTRIES
JOHN DEERE INDIA
JSW ENERGY LTD
JSW STEEL LTD
LIFETREE CONVERGENCE LIMITED
MCAFEE SOFTWARE (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
MISYS SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
MU SIGMA BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
NETWORK APPLIANCE SYSTEMS
NORTEL TECHNOLOGY EXCELLENCE CENTRE
PATNI COMPUTER SYSTEMS LTD
PRAXAIR INDIA PVT. LTD.
QWEST SOFTWARE SERVICES
REDPINE SIGNALS, INC.
- S R
SANKALP SEMICONDUCTOR PVT LTD
STRAND LIFE SCIENCES PVT LTD
INDIA ENGINEERING CENTER PVT LTD
TOYOTA KIRLOSKAR AUTO PARTS
VESTAS WIND TECHNOLOGY
WS ATKINS (INDIA) PVT. LTD,
- Z S
Being primarily a residential institution along with Surathkal beach less than a kilometre (0.62 mi) away, a unique culture has developed over the 50 years of NIT Surathkal’s existence. Since 2004 when it became a centrally funded institution, NIT Surathkal has opened doors to students from all over the country. Students take part in technical activities, as well as cultural events supported by one of the many student-run clubs and organizations on campus. An open-air theatre called Student Activity Center is the venue for most of the music performances and movie screenings. Beach events are unique to NIT Surathkal, with sand sculptures and kite flying being recent highlights.
Engineer (a national level technical symposium) takes place typically around the last week of October and Incident (a cultural festival) is organised since 1980 during the last week of February. Over the years, the scale of these events has gradually expanded with students visiting from all over the country. Online technical events at Engineer see participation from all over the world. The biggest intra-college event is called Crescendo, where the two R’s stand for ‘Reading Room’, after the group that organises it. Student teams representing the year of their study compete in literary, personality, art and music competitions. Crescendo has been an annual tradition for three decades now.
‘Engineer’ is the annual technical symposium at NIT Surathkal Surathkal. ‘ENGI’ as it is called by the students has the Penrose Triangle as its logo, and this theme has been used along with the tag-line, ‘Think. Create. Engineer.’ The ‘Engineer’ in its first edition in 2005 was born out of the amalgamation of three smaller scale technical symposia held until then. Engineer 2006 was planned on a larger scale, with innovative events including paper presentations, Shrishti, where participants are required to apply engineering for the greater good of society, robotics events (Perfect Machine, Automata), hacking contests, programming contests, electronics design events, and workshops. Socially conscious engineering has been a recurring theme. Guest speakers at Video conferences include Richard Stallman, Bjarne Stroustrup, Sam Pitroda, Dr. Devi Shetty, Sir Anthony James Leggett, Kevin Warwick, and Tim Poston. Engineer 2010 was dubbed the ‘Golden Edition’ due to it coinciding with the Golden Jubilee year celebrations. NIT Surathkal hosted its first TEDx conference during Engineer 2011, and many influential speakers of the region were invited to talk on socially relevant issues.
‘Incident’ is the institute’s annual cultural festival. Incident was first conducted in 1980. Held over five days, the festival includes events from dance and dramatics to music, painting, fashion, and quizzing. In addition, Inciden0t Pro-Nite features top Indian singers and bands. International bands have also been part of the experience since 2010, with tribute bands like Led Zepplica, Breathe the Floyd Sound and Jailbreak performing crowd favorites to an enthralled audience.
‘Crescendo’ is the intra-institute cultural festival organized by the NIT Surathkal Hostellers. It’s like a mini incident which provides a nice platform to exhibit and showcased the innate social and cultural talents and gives many others a chance to try something new for the first time.
‘Phoenix’, the annual sports meet organized at Institute level. This adventuring sporting event organized by the hostellers.
‘Bharath Darshan’, the festival celebrating the cultural diversity of India has been conducted as regular features of the Annual Calendar of the Students Council. In this students exhibit the different cultural events of all the states of India thereby built an ultimate platform for social and cultural exchange.
Reasons to Join NIT Surathkal
- One of the oldest and pioneer Technical Institutions in India started in 1960.
- Rated as one of the Best Engineering Colleges in India.
- Excellent Placement record and highly accomplished Alumni.
- Attracts the highest student minds from all over the country and abroad.
- ISO Certified Institute.
- Linkages and Collaborations with various leading International & National Institutes, Industries, and Organizations across the Globe.
- Very strong Alumni Network.
- Highly motivated and qualified faculty out of which 86% are Ph.D. holders.
- Dedicated and trained technical and administrative staff.
- World class infrastructure and highly-equipped labs and classrooms with all modern amenities.
- Fully equipped Central Library with cast collection of learning material in print, video, CD media and online computer search.
- A central computer centre with campus-wide networking and internet access through 155 Mbps leased line to BSNL and access to the National Knowledge Network through a 1 Gbps link.
- Independent Sports Block with all modern facilities.
- Modern international standard swimming pool, gymnasium and individual standard fields for all major games and sports.
- Mega hostel blocks with state of the art facilities and Wi-Fi Connectivity.
- Dedicated commercial complex, nationalized banks with ATM, cafeterias and food courts inside the campus.
- Proximity to Bangalore, the IT capital of India; Meets manpower needs of IT establishments.
- A 300-acre campus set in sylvan surroundings in Mangalore, an important centre of trade and commerce in Karnataka.
- Good connectivity by road, rail, and air.
Entrepreneurship culture and NIT Surathkal STEP
One of NIT Surathkal’s core mission is to promote entrepreneurship among students and alumni. The Institute has its own technology startup incubator named STEP which provides office space and in some cases seed funds to startups incubated there. NIT Surathkal–STEP (formerly KREC-STEP) was first established on 31 August 1994 in KREC campus. It is situated in an independent location in the complex of NIT Surathkal about 23 km from Mangalore city, adjacent to N.H. 66 and adjoining the Arabian Sea beach. Out of 16500 sqft. built up area, 8500 sqft. consists of Entrepreneurs’ Block and the remaining area consists of computer laboratory, conference hall and administrative block.
Some notable start-ups founded by alumni of NIT Surathkal Surathkal are Quest Global, Practo Health App, Delhivery, Nestaway, and Taxi For Sure. A few of these start-ups like Practo were conceived within the college campus by the B. Tech. students.
NIT Surathkal Surathkal has a strong alumni base with an alumni association called NIT Surathkal Alumni Association (NIT SurathkalAA). Some of the NIT Surathkal alumni have excelled in various fields like Technology, Finance, and Entrepreneurship.
Notable NIT Surathkal alumni include:
Business, Technology and Entrepreneurship
- V. Kamath, 1969, President of BRICS Bank, Former Chairman of ICICI Bank, former Chairman of Infosys
- Shashank ND, 2009, Founder & CEO of Practo Health, Forbes 30 under 30 in 2016
- Abhinav Lal, 2009, Co-Founder & CTO of Practo Health.
Academia and Research
- Sunil Kumar, 1990, Dean, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
- Dr. Srivatsa Sheshadri, MBA director, the University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Thomas Zacharia, 1980, Deputy Director of ORNL Computer Science and Mathematics Division
- Pramod Vishwanath, 1993, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- Sandeep Pradhan, 1994, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Michigan
- Rakesh Godhwani, 1997, Adjunct Faculty at IIM Bangalore, Head of IIMB Alumni association, and author of three non-fiction books
- Prabhudev Konana, Chairman, Department of Information, Risk & Operations Management, McCombs School of Business
- Santosh Nagarakatte, 2005, Department of Computer Science, Rutgers University
- Prahlad G Menon, 2009, assistant professor; educator; entrepreneur; University of Pittsburgh, The University of Texas at San Antonio, Wabtec Group
- Ullas Karanth, Director of the Wildlife Conservation Society India Program
- Ashok Kheny, 1972, Director of Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises; MLA from Bidar (South) in Karnataka Legislative Assembly
- Sridhar Rangayan, filmmaker with a focus on LGBT subjects
- Sujit Lalwani, 2008, founder of Inspiration Unlimited and 36Meals
- It is ranked 22 in the country, according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework engineering rankings.
- This institute was ranked among the top 8 universities all across India according to the ‘India Today’ magazine. Also according to Outlook India, it was ranked among the top 9 universities all across India in 2016.
- Major national and international technical societies have set up local student chapters at NIT Surathkal. They include Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), the Institution of Engineers (India), the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (formerly chartered to Computer Society of India), and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- The Rotaract Club conducts social, cultural and technical events for the students and club members alike. These include blood donation camps, clothing donation drives, coastal clean-up camps, and events conducted by the National Service Scheme (NSS) chapter of NIT Surathkal.
- The Mangalore chapter of the Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Among Youth (SPICMACAY) is centered at NIT Surathkal and is one of the biggest chapters in the country. It organizes concerts and lectures by maestros of Indian classical art forms and strives to raise awareness of Indian culture in the surrounding regions through lectures, orientations, and conventions.
- The Recreation Committee (RC) of the institute organises recreational activities including freshers cup, floodlit cricket matches which garner a vibrant fan following. The much-awaited inter-year sports festival ‘Phoenix’ is organised during the even semester where students battle for gold, silver and bronze medals, and the overall shield. NIT Surathkal sports teams participate in events all over the country as part of the Inter-NIT sports meet.
- During the cultural festival ‘Incident’, NIT Surathkal hosts ‘Slam Dunk’, an intercollegiate basketball tournament, which attracts some of the best teams in the region and plays host to many enthralling matches.
The very best of luck to each of you who are embarking on the life journey of college life!
Please check our JEE MAIN exam page.
Source: http://www.nitk.ac.in/, Wikipedia