A Notice can be described as a written or a printed information or news announcement. It is written in for basically informing people or pupils (in a school) about an activity or an event and is specifically only meant for a select group. Since a notice is a formal announcement or piece of information, its tone and style are formal and it is strictly factual. Its language is also simple and formal. It’s is important to note that a notice is always, and doesn’t include flowery language.
The occasions for creating a notice could be a competition, an inauguration to take place in near future or an exhibition. It could also be school activities like an excursion, a meeting or show.
In this article, we will give emphasis on the CBSE pattern, and help students learn important points about notice writing.
Tips for Writing Notices
- Stick to the specified word limit.
- You need to write the word NOTICE at the top.
- Do not forge to mention the Name and Place of the school, or organization or office that is issuing the notice.
- An appropriate heading is required.
- Include the date of issuing the notice.
- State the target group clearly (for whom the notice is to be displayed).
- Write the purpose of the notice.
- Mention other relevant details like date, venue and time.
- State that needs to be contacted for extra information.
- The signature, name and designation of the person who is issuing the notice should be there.
Characteristics of Notice Writing
Here are the features a good notice should have:
1) Brief: A notice has to give the information in a minimum number of words. Around 40 to 50 words are sufficient. All the sentences need to be short. There cannot be any repetition; no introduction; only to-the-point information. It should leave no scope for further enquiries and should not compromise on the word limit (50 words) at the same time.
2) Complete: Notices should give complete information about the concerned event. If you are writing a notice about a sports competition, then needs o talk about the participation criteria like age limit, date, venue, fees if any, invited chief guests, prize, etc.
3) Authority: Notices have to contain the name of authority who is issuing the notice. It could be you, principal, teacher, manager of bank, secretary of departments, etc.
4) Clarity: Avoid any kind of ambiguity in the information. The message should be crisp and straight forward. So, conciseness, clarity and completeness are the main elements of a good notice.
5) Language: The language needs to be formal.
6) Clearly stated purpose: As discussed earlier, a notice has to contain all the necessary details such as:
- Name of the issuing agency (school, etc)
- Subject and date of issue/release of the notice
- Event (what?)
- Date/time/duration (when?)
- Place/Venue (where?)
- Authorized signatory: Nameand signature
A notice has three parts – head, body and authority /contact person.
1) The Head is the eye catcher. It talks about the main topic or the issue of the notice.
Example: a) Notice – Dance competition
- b) Notice – Annual magazine of school
- c) Notice – Sports competition
2) Body includes all the details of the event.
3) Authority /contact person à Name or/ and signature of notice issuing authority needs to be included in the end. If the notice involves meeting someone to submit the name, paper or other things, do not forget to mention the contact person name, meeting place, and time and phone number. Contact person is crucial as he/she is needed for further clarification and information.
Distribution of Marks
As per CBSE
Format – 2 Marks
Content – 3 Marks
Distribution of marks is subject to change. You can check with your teacher for updated information.
Utility of Notices
Let’s assume that you lost your watch on the school playground. In this situation, you can display a notice on the school notice board to request other students to return it to you. Even your teachers can put a notice to inform all children about the exam dates, essay competition, change in syllabus or educational tour.
We’re sure you must have come across “public notice” in newspapers given by government, lawyers or companies. These basically divulge important information to the public. Notices are generally pasted, published or clipped at a place where many interested people can view it easily and get the required information. This place can be a reception desk of an office, bank, court, notice board of a school, websites of govt. department or companies, a column of a newspaper or any place where people come frequently.
Notice Writing Sample 1
Q- You are Reema/Riteish, the secretary of M.B High School, Mumbai. You have been asked to inform students of class IX and XII about an Inter School Dramatics Competition. Draft a notice for the students’ Notice board with all the required details in not more than 50 words. Put the notice in a box.
| M.B High School, Mumbai.
30 July, 2014
DRAMATICS COMPETITION – AUDITION
An Inter School Dramatics Competition will be held on 31-03-2018 at Nalanda Hall. An audition will be conducted for selecting students for the school team. Interested candidates can give their names to the undersigned. The details are given below:
Time : 10.30 am
Venue: School Auditorium
Eligibility: Class IX and XII
Last date for giving names: 15-03-2018
Notice Writing Sample 2
You are Ram / Rani of Carmel School, Shornur. Write a notice to be put up on the school notice board regarding the upcoming Annual Day Celebration in your school.
Notice writing sample 3
You are Supriya / Suraj of DAV Public School, Nerul. As the Student Coordinator of the Green Drive initiated by your School to mark the occasion of the World Wildlife Day on 3rd March, draft a notice urging the students to preserve the forests and wildlife.
Questions for Practice
Q1) You are Siya, the head girl of KPS international school. Your school is soon going to publish the annual magazine next month. Write a notice for your school notice board and invite students to submit write-ups.
Q2) You are the secretary of the Nehru library. The management has made changes in the membership fees and book rental charges from next month. Write a notice that will be put up on the library notice board and it needs to give all this information to the students.
Q3) You are Rahul Saxena, head boy of Alexandria convent school. Your school is going to organize an inter-school dance competition. Write a notice for your school notice board and invite names of all the interested students.
You may also like: