What if not Medical?
What if you did your best and could not clear the pre-medical entrance examination? What if you weren’t able to cross the entrance door despite loads of hard work and interest in the medical stream? Sure, you would feel guilty about failing! Hey, hold on right there. It is very obvious that you will start underrating yourself and doubting your capabilities as a professional in life. But dare you do that! Because this is not the end of the world; it just may seem so for a little while. There’s going to be light at the end of the tunnel and there will be plenty of opportunities to choose from.
Generally, students choose physics, chemistry, and biology. So, they either have to get through the PMTs and become an M.B.B.S, B.D.S, B.A.M.S, B.H.M.S, B.P.T graduate or else get into B.Sc. course for biology, physics or chemistry. But there are several other options too. There are two ways you can be a doctor: the first one is by pursuing M.B.B.S, and the other one is by completing your bachelors, masters, and Ph.D. in a subject of your choice and interest. I agree that you will get the prefix “doctor” if you pursue M.B.B.S compared to the prefix “doctorate” if you complete your Ph.D. Still, the fact is that the abbreviation used in both cases remains the same! So, smile!
If you have studied the physics, chemistry, and the biology group, here are some promising options that you may choose other than those stated above:
- B.Sc. Agriculture: For those who have an interest in this stream, you can take up a government job in this sector after finishing your education.
- B.Sc. Forensics: If you have good analytical skills and an interest in Ballistics (the study of weapons), fingerprinting, identifying the cause and manner of death; this is something you can choose. Once you finish your masters, you can also pursue LLB. After that, you will become an expert and help people and the police to fight crime!!
- Diploma in Forensic Medicine: These are shorter courses and for specific parts of forensic medicine. You can still go ahead with them if they seem interesting.
- B.Sc. in Food Processing: It’s meant for students who might have an inclination towards judging the quality of food packaging, processing, and dispatch.
- B.Sc. in Microbiology: This is a good stream if you like studying about how do microbes look, how do they survive within us and more interesting facts about them. After completing your masters, you can work as a microbiologist at any medical college.
- Bachelors in Pharmacology: This is another allied profession you can choose! You can continue as a lecturer, join a pharmaceutical company or start your own pharmacy shop once you have procured the license.
- Four-year B.S. Programme at I.I.Sc.: This is a highly competitive programme. It is a newly introduced course, which is said to be at par with the 4-year basic undergraduate course at the U.S.A. To know more about it, click here.
- B.Sc. Genetics: If you have an interest in genetics, you can go for this option. It is an upcoming branch, and you would sure never regret taking it! After you finish your education, you can apply for AIIMS, Appolo Hospitals and DNA labs.
- B.Sc. Nursing: A nursing course may appeal to many. Nurses are equally important as doctors, and they play a crucial role in taking care of the patients.
If you have the physics, chemistry, biology and maths group; you have the following choices in addition to those stated above:
- Biotechnology and Bio-Engineering: It is a rapidly developing field. It provides a lot of scope to study, learn and strengthen your career graph.
- Architecture: Pursuing architecture is another field in demand. If you have an interest in drawing and sketching, this is a great option.
- IISERs: Candidates are admitted to IISER only through certain channels. The mediums are Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), IIT–JEE, and State and Central Boards Channel (SCB).
There are definitely more options available; however, the ones mentioned above are the more popular ones.
It’s imperative to choose a career that interests you! The power of becoming successful lies within you and the stream you choose is secondary. Just be prepared to work hard. Stay positive. Trust your capabilities.
If you have anything to add to this list, please leave your feedback in the comments section.
Follow more such interesting articles here.