Panjab University: 2018 Results, Admission and more
Quick Facts of Panjab University
- Panjab University (PU) has been Accredited with a CGPA of 3.35 on a four-point scale at A Grade valid for a period of 5 years from 25/06/2015.
- 1stamong the best Universities of India and 38th in Asia, Times Higher Education Asian University rankings 2015
- Panjab University has been ranked number one University in India and in the bracket 276-300 internationally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2014-2015 powered by Thomson Reuters
- Panjab University is ranked 39th by the Times Higher Education among BRICS & Emerging Economies
- Panjab University has 78 teaching and research departments and 15 Centers/Chairs for teaching and research at the main campus located at Chandigarh
- Panjab University has 188 affiliated colleges spread over Punjab and has one rural Regional Centre at Kauni, and 3 Regional Centres at Muktsar, Ludhiana, and Hoshiarpur.
- Panjab University has 4 Constituent Colleges located at Sikhwala (Sri Muktsar Sahib), Balachaur (SBS Nagar), Nihalsingh Wala (Moga) and Guru Harsahai (Ferozepur).
Panjab University (PU) is a public university situated in the city of Chandigarh, in northern India. The university was established in 1882 as the University of Punjab (in what is now Lahore, Pakistan) making it one of India’s oldest institutions.
Panjab University runs degree programs across a wide range of departments, including Arts, Science, Languages, Law, Education and Fine Arts, Engineering and Technology, Business Management and Commerce, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Dairying, Medical Sciences, and Animal Husbandry and Agriculture. Most of these faculties offer their own specialized libraries for students.
Spread across 550 acres, the university’s main campus has been designed to cater for the academic, administrative, recreational and residential needs of all its students. There are eight hostels for male students and nine for women, as well as a Working Women Hostel and two sports hostels. Other facilities include a shopping centre, a health centre, a bank, post office, swimming pool, open-air theatre, botanical gardens and much more.
PUCET also referred as Punjab University Common Entrance Test (Punjab CET) is a university-level examination, which is organized by the Punjab University. This exam is conducted for providing admissions into various undergraduate courses such as Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS), B.Pharmacy and B.Sc. (Hons.). It is mandatory for those students who are looking for admission in above-mentioned courses of Punjab University. PUCET 2018 exam date has been announced. It commences once a year.
PUCET 2018 Exam Dates
Check the official exam date for PUCET 2018 from here:
|Application form for B.Sc.||March 12, 2018|
|Last day to submit the application for B.Sc.||April 6, 2018|
|The release of online application for B.Com.||April 2018|
|Admit Card Release||April 24, 2018|
|PUCET 2018||April 29, 2018|
|The release of answer key||May 1, 2018|
|PUCET Result Announcement||May 14, 2018|
|Merit list announced for B.Com.||May 2018|
PUCET Application Form and Fee 2018
PUCET 2018 Application Form will be available from the second week of March 2018. Candidates can fill and submit the application form through online process.
The application fee structure is as follows:
|SC/ST/PwD Category (PCB/ PCM/ M)||1050/-|
|Additional Paper (Biology/ Math)||300/-|
The fee payment can be done through the Challan of SBI Bank.
Panjab University 2018 – Eligibility Criteria
- Students should have completed the age of 17 years as or on 31st December of the year of admission.
- Only Indian National candidates are eligible to apply (except NRI quota).
- Candidates must have passed 12th or equivalent exam from any recognized board with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects.
- Candidate joining B.Sc programme must have obtained a minimum percentage of 40% in Class 12th.
- A B.Sc. student must have passed at least 2 Science subjects in the qualifying examination. He/she may offer the third elective subject from Science or Arts.
- For B.Com programme, a candidate should have passed Class 12th with at least 50% marks in aggregate.
Punjab CET Exam Pattern 2018
The language medium of the question paper is English only. The question paper will be asked in OMR pattern. Two marks will be given for each correct response and ¼ mark will be deducted for each incorrect response in term of negative marking. Candidates will be required to choose a combination of subjects according to their respective courses. The exam pattern is as follows:
|Paper||Subjects||No. of questions||Total marks allotted|
PUCET Admit Card 2018
The PUCET 2018 Admit Card will be provided to only successfully registered candidates. The admit card will be released through an online process. Candidates note down that it is mandatory to bring the admit card at the examination centre.
The admit card will contain the following details:
- Name of the candidate
- Date of Birth
- Date of exam
- Registration number
- Exam time
- Exam venue
- Contact details of the candidate
- Instructions related to the exam
Punjab University Result 2018
The result of admission to Panjab University 2018 in B.Sc programme will be declared on May 14, 2018. The result of the PUCET 2018 will be available on the University website. The mark sheet displays student’s name and the marks scored. These marks will be compared with the cut off set by the university during admissions.
Top Colleges Affiliated to Punjab University
Here’s a list of the top colleges of Punjab University.
- University Business School, [UBS] Chandigarh
- Mehr Chand Mahajan Dayanand Anglo Vedic College, [MCMDAV] Chandigarh
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology, [UIET] Punjab University, Chandigarh
- DAV College, Chandigarh
- Dasmesh Girls College, [DGC] Hoshiarpur
- Lajpat Rai DAV College, [LRDAVC] Ludhiana
- Dev Samaj College For Women, [DSCW] Firozpur
- Babbar Akali Memorial Khalsa College, [BAMKC] Hoshiarpur
- AS College, [ASC] Khanna
- Sri Aurobindo College of Commerce and Management, [SACCM] Ludhiana
- Devki Devi Jain Memorial College for Women, [DDJMCW] Ludhiana
- Satish Chandra Dhawan Government College, [SCDGC] Ludhiana
- Swami Premanand Mahavidyalaya, [SPM] Hoshiarpur
- Guru Nanak Girls College, [GNGC] Ludhiana
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College for Women, [GNKCW] Ludhiana
Courses offered and Fees Structure*
|B.A. LL.B.||RS. 62,800|
|B.Com LL.B||RS. 62,800|
|PG DIPLOMA||RS. 8,000|
*This is not the complete list of courses offered by the university. Fees structure listed is an approximate value.
Placement Scenario at Panjab University
The front-runner in the placement race is the University Business School (UBS), where the average package has been Rs 8.22 lakh per annum. In 2016, out of the 124 students who appeared for placements, 82 were offered jobs in the first leg of the drive, with the highest package of Rs 21 lakh per annum being offered by Trident to seven students from the department. Having changed its training and curriculum in the last few years, the business school has seen a 25 to 30 percent hike in the pay packages being offered to its students.
At UICET; however, an average of 20 companies ranging from ITC, Reliance Industries, Universal Oil Product visit each year. In 2015, 91 students were recruited through campus placements.
The frequently visiting companies to the university are Ernst and Young, NTPC, Futures First, Infosys, WIPRO, Accenture, Philips, Vodafone among many others.
University School of Open Learning
The University School of Open Learning (Formerly known as Department of Correspondence), Panjab University was established in 1971. The objective was to take university-based education beyond the four walls of the University. It continues to do so and fulfils a prime social responsibility of providing education at the doorstep for those who are unable to access formal education. Started as a Directorate, it is now a full-fledged USOL with due representation on all University bodies. Supported by a well qualified, research-oriented faculty and efficient staff, the USOL offers various courses i.e. Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma and Professional Courses. Some innovative and socially relevant Courses such as Certificate Course in Vivekanand Studies, Diploma in Human Rights.
The method of instruction includes printed study material in Self Learning Mode, Personal Contact Programme, Response Sheets, Assignments, Video and Audiocassette Lessons on selected topics, Dissertations/Projects in selected courses and Counseling of students on a one to one basis, organizing Regional and National Seminars and Special Lecture Series. To cater to the masses, for most courses, the printed study material is provided in English, Hindi and Punjabi. In addition, the USOL offers a variety of student support services. These include a well-equipped Library, postal library facilities, an Educational Media Centre, Laboratories, a Computer Lab and subsidized hostel facility for outstation students. The USOL also involves the students in co-curricular activities and brings them together on a common platform despite their diverse locations.
The Course of study, the syllabi, duration and mode of examinations are the same as prescribed for regular students of University Teaching Departments/Colleges affiliated to the Panjab University.
It has a richly stocked library with more than 86,955 books of text, reference and general on its shelves. In addition, 69 journals, magazines and newspapers are subscribed to local students can read in the library and also borrow books for those residing outside Chandigarh, the library maintains postal service. The students residing at Ludhiana or within a radius of 60 Km. from it can avail library facility at the Panjab University Extension Library, Ludhiana.
Punjab University is located in Sector 14 and Sector 25 of Chandigarh, spreading across an area of almost 550 acres. The layout of two campuses of the University has been conceived to meet the academic, administrative, sports/recreational, residential and other requirements of a growing University.
To make it self-contained, infrastructural facilities like its own Shopping Centre, Health Centre, Bank, Post office, Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Sports Grounds, Botanical Gardens, well-maintained parks, Open Air Theatre, Guest Houses, Faculty House, Seminar Complexes, Alumni House, Community Centre and a school have been provided. A cluster of prominent buildings like the Gandhi Bhawan, the Fine Arts Museum, the University Library and the Student Centre form the hub of social interaction.
The University has playgrounds for all major sports. There is an air-conditioned gymnasium hall, an international level swimming pool, diving pool, 400 m grassy athletic track, two cemented basketball courts with floodlights, four volleyball courts, one hockey ground, two football grounds, two Kho-Kho courts, two Kabaddi courts, three softball grounds, two cricket grounds, one netball ground, one Korfball ground, two synthetic lawn tennis courts, 8 grassy lawn tennis courts, and one cinder lawn Tennis Court. An international standard 10-meter shooting range is also functional on the PU Campus.
The University has its own community radio station, Radio Jyotirgamaya 91.2, which acts as a unifying agent amongst the university faculty, students and also the community. The radio programs can be heard over a range of 10 kilometres.
Internet And Communication Facilities
The Computer Centre of the University provides Fibre Optic high-speed network connectivity through Gigabit technology to all the Departments, Centres, Hostels and Administrative Block. It is connected through the National Knowledge Network (NKN) and the National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) networks. All the hostels and Academic areas of Sector 14 and Sector 25 are covered by Wi-Fi and students and staff can access it seamlessly.
The University is participating in various prestigious International High Energy Research Programmes at Fermilab (USA), KEK (Japan) and CERN (Switzerland). At present, the University is involved in a big way in CMS and ALICE Experiments at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) Switzerland and Neutrino Programme at Fermilab, USA.
The university boasts of highly illustrious alumni:
- Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India
- IK Gujral, former Prime Minister of India
- Shankar Dayal Sharma, ninth President of India
- Sunil Bharti Mittal, Founder, Chairman and Group CEO of Bharti Enterprises
- Kalpana Chawla, NASA Astronaut
- Hargobind Khorana, Nobel Laureate Biotechnologist
- Sushma Swaraj, Leader of Opposition (BJP)
- Kiran Bedi, first woman IPS Officer
By virtue of its history, experience, achievements, and philosophy, PU university has a national character and it also enjoys an international stature drawing both faculty and students from all over the country and different parts of the globe.
That’s all for today, folks! Hope you enjoyed reading this article.
Also, check out a similar article on Madras University!