Punjab Engineering College, now known as PEC University of Technology is one of the esteemed educational institutes of the country. Located in Chandigarh, the capital city of Punjab PEC was founded in the year of 1921 and is known to be one of the oldest educational institutes in the country.
The university was ranked #9 in the limited participation CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey in the year 2013. It was ranked #16 in the Mint Top 50 Government Engineering Colleges Survey of 2009. PEC has been ranked 85 by NIRF in 2017, nationally. By the week placed Punjab Engineering College at 32nd position in the year 2016. Rank 36 was allotted by Edu-Rank to PEC in the year 2015.
PEC offers the following Engineering courses at the Graduation level –
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
PEC offers the following specialized courses at Post-Graduation level –
- Hydraulics and Irrigation
- Rotodynamic Machines
- Electrical Power systems
- Environmental Engineering
- Electronics Metallurgical Engineering
PEC has collaborated with various national and international educational institutions for student exchange programs. MOUs have been signed with corporates to attract projects and internships. Some of these collaborations are as follows:
- PEC-ESIGELEC France collaboration (Feb 2009)
- PEC-ABB collaboration (Jan 2009)
- PEC-UWA collaboration (Jan 2009)
- PEC-JCB collaboration initiated (Sep 2008)
- PEC-Philips collaboration (Sep 2008)
- PEC-CSIO collaboration (Aug 2008)
Recognized as a deemed university by the University Grants Commission (UGC) this university provides facilities for research work leading to an award of research degree Ph.D. in certain distinctive fields of engineering. The college also offers consultancy services in different disciplines. The Research Planning and Development acts as a liaison between the institute and industry/ government bodies to undertake projects with the specific problem, which are generally of short duration.
Interested and eligible candidates for admission in PEC University of Technology have to apply online, separately with Joint Entrance Committee. For registration process, candidates need to visit the official website – http://pec.ac.in/. Candidates are advised to fill the application form with the correct personal and admit card details, including roll number, application number, candidate name, examination score, and birth date. The application fee can be submitted in any modes available – e-challan, or HDFC Bank debit/credit card.
While applying for admission in PEC, the following eligibility conditions need to be fulfilled –
- Candidate should have completed class XII with minimum qualifying exams.
- The candidate must have scored a valid JEE Main rank for the corresponding year.
- Candidates with amount overdue are not eligible.
- Candidates claiming reservation quota should produce the necessary certificates; if they fail to do so, their candidature will be canceled.
- NRI/Foreign applicants should follow the rules and regulations prescribed by the Government of India and Punjab University.
Admission of candidates will be done on the basis of scores obtained in JEE Main and class 12th in a ratio of 60:40. This procedure is commonly known as Normalization. The applicants will be judged through normalized scores. An inter-selection merit list will be taken into account while inviting applications for counselling. Applicants who are acknowledged eligible by CBSE for central counselling will also be allowed to participate in JAC counselling as well.
- Candidates who are willing to appear for admission process for PEC Admissions through JAC Chandigarh must fill their application form online.
- Application Fees for the eligible candidates is INR1500/-
- The fees can be paid online either in the form of E-challan or through online Payment Gateway such as Internet Banking/Credit Card /Debit Card.
The PEC Counselling includes the following stages –
- Online Registration, Document Verification, and Payment of Registration Fees
- Physical presence at counseling venue for verification of documents
- Online filling up of choices
- Mock Counselling
- Choices looking and printing
- Seat distribution
- First Round Counselling
- Second Round Counselling
- Third Round Counselling
- After completion of Round 3, reporting at the Institute
- Spot Round of counseling
- Withdrawal of chosen seats and refund of fees
Applicants are suggested not to share their Registration and password with any person. The following documents will be required at the time of counseling –
- Original result of JEE Main
- EWS Certificate and Affidavit
- Reservation Certificate (if applicable)
- Medical Certificate (if applicable)
- Gradation Certificate
- Certificate for sub-category (if applicable)
- Kashmiri Migrant/One girl child/Displaced, AIDS/Cancer/Thalassemia/Kargil Martyr Certificate
The registration process tentatively starts in the month of June and ends in the month of August.
Given below is the course-wise percentage of students –
- Aeronautical – 80%
- Civil – 96.77%
- Computer Science – 107.84%
- Electrical – 100%
- ECE – 100%
- Mechanical – 100%
- Metallurgy – 83.33%
- Production – 85.71%
At PEC, the highest package has been offered by Amazon at INR27 Lakhs. Core Companies like Tata, Whirlpool, Reliance, Indian Oil, Eicher, Honda, Hyundai, ABB, Fiat, Phillips have been hiring students from PEC. Software companies like Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, IBM, Infosys, DE Shaw & Co. visit the campus every year. From the Analytics and Consulting department, companies like Goldman Sachs, Deloitte, EXL, The Smart Cube hire students from PEC. Finance companies American Express, KPMG, HSBC, Indiabulls hire graduates from PEC. FMCG companies Dabur, Godrej, ITC Limited, Nestle; and Startups like Zomato, Snapdeal, Hike messenger, Naukri.com, PayTM, etc. have been few of the past recruiters of PEC.
Given below is the seat intake of students for the following branches –
- Aeronautical Engineering – 15
- Aerospace Engineering – 31
- Civil Engineering – 112
- Computer Science & Engineering – 106
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering – 112
- Electronics & Communication Engineering – 106
- Industrial & Production – 30
- Mechanical Engineering – 106
- Metallurgical Engineering – 61
- Production Engineering – 41
Have a look at the notable alumni from PEC –
- Badshah – Punjabi Singer and rapper, BE Civil Engineering (2006)
- Jaspal Bhatti – Satirist, Comedian, Film-maker, BE Civil Engineering (1978)
- Kalpana Chawla – Space Shuttle Columbia Astronaut, (1982)
- Vijay K. Dhir – Dean of the University of California
- Adesh Pratap Singh Kairon – Punjab Politician
Following is the cut-off list of opening and closing ranks of PEC University of Technology of the year 2017.
|Branch||Min Rank||Max Rank|
|Home State Quota|
|Computer Science & Engineering||376||6244|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||6292||11851|
|Materials & Metallurgical Engineering||32148||43347|
|Production & Industrial Engineering||23776||34166|
|Branch||Min Rank||Max Rank|
|Home State Quota|
|Computer Science & Engineering||19679||40836|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||29931||77020|
|Materials & Metallurgical Engineering||213542||247184|
|Production & Industrial Engineering||175940||213146|
|Branch||Min Rank||Max Rank|
|All India Quota|
|Computer Science & Engineering||84470||98963|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||144503||147924|
|Materials & Metallurgical Engineering||172439||172439|
|Production & Industrial Engineering||171505||171505|
Hostel Facility –
There are four hostels for boys and two hostels for girls. Each hostel is self-contained with amenities such as reading room/indoor games/T.V. room, dining hall and mess.
- Kalpna Chawla Hostel (capacity: 55 students)
- Vindhya Hostel (capacity: 280 students)
- Aravali Hostel
- Himalaya Hostel
- Kuruksheta Hostel
- Shwalik Hostel
The students at PEC can be a part of the following Students Organizations in order to hone their skills –
- AeSI – Aeronautical Society of India
- AMS – Aero-Modelling Society
- ASCE – American Society of Civil Engineers (Student Chapter)
- ASPS – Astronomy and Space Physics Society
- ISTE – Indian Society For Technical Engineers (Student Chapter)
- IEEE – The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Student Chapter
- IETE – The Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers Student Forum
- SAE – The Society of Automotive Engineers Student Chapter
- SME – The Society of Manufacturing Engineers Student Chapter
- IIF – The Institute of Indian Foundrymen Student Chapter
- The Robotics Society
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Student Chapter)
- SEC- Students Executive Council
- Projection Design Club
- Communications Club
- Music Club
- Robotics Club
- Speakers Association And Study Circle
- Dramatics Club
- Art and Photography Club
- Energy and Envirovision Club
- Rotaract Club
- English Editorial Board
- Hindi Editorial Board
- Punjabi Editorial Board
- Student Counselling Cell (Happy Folks of PEC)
- Entrepreneurship Incubation Cell
- Women Empowerment Cell
- PECFEST is the annual cultural and technical fest of PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh. The festival started off as a cultural event in 2003 and has since, grown into one of the largest college fests in North India attracting many big-name performers and sponsors.
- Vyom (earlier known as Technique before being renamed in 2011) was the university’s annual technical festival that ran from 2008 to 2014. It was discontinued in 2015 and the technical events are now conducted as part of PecFest.
As per the reviews of the alumni and the students, life at PEC is an amazing journey to be a part of. If you have enough courage, then get up and grab your seat at one of the most esteemed colleges in the country.
All the best!