The past decade has seen an unprecedented expansion of the IIT network. The social prestige that the IIT tag carries has helped many of the newer IITs to steal a march over older rivals recently. The eight new IITs, namely Gandhinagar, Jodhpur, Hyderabad, Indore, Patna, Bhubaneswar, Ropar, and Mandi were announced by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Indian Government in 2008.
The new IITs have come in as a boon at a time when government finances are much healthier than the times when the old IITs were created. The result? Modern technology, prime land, and better brain power. Though much new infrastructure has been added to the older IITs too, still a brand new campus and a renovated one are not the same, right?
For every engineering aspirant, the new IIT colleges in India are a paradise of engineering education. These “institutes of national importance” are a talent pool of the best minds in the country, with degrees that are valued in gold.
In case you are wondering which one to pick from the new IIT’s in India, your search ends here. Click and discover all the information you may need about these JEE colleges in India with rankings.
Ranking of New IITs in India
- IIT Hyderabad: Rated No.1 among the eight new IITs, it has eleven engineering departments, three science departments, one liberal arts (humanities) department, one design department and three new proposed departments. Launched in 2008, IIT-Hyderabad was officially inaugurated by Sonia Gandhi on February 27, 2009. Right from its inception, IIT Hyderabad has focused on intellectual growth and learning. Due to its dynamic academic structure, the coursework is relatively well-developed and offers better exposure to its students in their respective fields compared to other institutes. This is one of the reasons that resulted in IIT Hyderabad been recognized as one of the top 10 institutes in the country. The campus is currently located in a quiet, residential colony on the Ordnance Factory Campus at Yeddumailram in Medak district, and is far away from civilization. IIT Hyderabad has great ongoing research, and its tie-up with Japan is certainly an added boon. The city, being an IT hub, provides an upper hand when it comes to placements. Who knows, you might just land up working for Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Qualcomm, Amazon, IBM, Motorola or Hyundai!
- IIT Indore: IIT Indore has unbeatably the best coding culture in the country. If you want an awesome on-board campus life, state-of-the-art infrastructure and the best hostels in the country, then choose IIT Indore without even giving a second thought to your choice. IIT Indore was ranked overall 16 in India (ranked 3 in Teaching, Learning & Resources and 5 in Graduation Outcomes- Placement scenarios) by MHRD in April 2016. IIT-Indore team beat 15 top IITs stand first among all Indian universities at 38th Programming Olympiad at Moscow. The team was ranked 42nd in the world. The institution started functioning from 2009-10 in a temporary campus at Institute of Engineering and Technology of Devi Ahilyabai University under the mentorship of IIT Bombay. However, since February 2016, it has started functioning from its permanent campus spread over an area of around 510 acres at Simrol.
- IIT Gandhinagar: Founded in 2008, it is located in Palaj, Gandhinagar, Gujarat on the banks of the serene river Sabarmati. Laying emphasis on the liberal arts, project-oriented learning, compulsory courses in design and the life sciences, diversity and globalization, it is undoubtedly the city’s most prestigious academic and research institute. It offers awards not only for curricular and extra-curricular achievements but also for exemplary human qualities. More than 35% of students graduate with international experience of some sort. The faculty@Gandhinagar is liberal in its outlook, informal in its interactions and uncompromising on core values.
- IIT Ropar: Sometimes referred to as the Indian Institute of Technology Punjab (IIT Punjab), it holds a fourth position in the rankings of new IITs in India. It mainly offers courses in Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering. IIT Ropar was ranked 9th in National Institutional Ranking Framework published by Ministry of Human Resource Development in April 2016. IIT Ropar follows a semester-based credit system. The prominent feature of the credit system is the process of continuous evaluation of a student’s performance and the flexibility to allow a student to progress at an optimum pace suited to his/her ability or convenience, subject to fulfilling minimum requirements for continuation. A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) is necessary for satisfactory progress and continuation in the programme. The institute, apart from establishing a robust teaching environment, is keen to facilitate and support cutting-edge research in a variety of areas. It is committed to providing state-of-the-art technical education and facilitating transmission of knowledge by keeping in mind the latest developments in pedagogy. However, the shifting to a permanent campus has been delayed for a few years.
- IIT Patna: Patna has been home to some of the visionaries like Lord Gautam Buddha, Lord Mahavir, Guru Gobind Singh, the famous astronomer Aryabhatta and the first President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Living up to the high expectations is IIT Patna, which provides excellent placements with packages including a 1.8 crore job offer from Google, and a newly inaugurated campus. Located at Bihta, it already has six hundred seventy students enrolled in its B Tech programs, one hundred sixty-one M.Tech students and two hundred fifty-nine Ph.D. students. The institute is also equipped with state-of-the-art facilities to provide students a quality education.
- IIT Bhubaneswar: Situated at the foot of Barunei Hill, which is famous for its rich history, IIT Bhubaneswar is spreading over 936 acres of land. Offering a serene and pollution-free academic environment, it has an academic area, residential area, training centres and a research park. The institute came into existence on July 22, 2008, and brings out academic brilliance by providing holistic education through various activities. What more can you expect? There is a mini shopping complex in, yoga and meditation activities, counseling services and a fitness centre.
- IIT Mandi: Nestled in the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, away from the hustle bustle of the metropolis, IIT Mandi was established with the vision of being a leader in science and technology education, knowledge creation, and innovation. The main campus is eco-friendly and fast developing over an area of 538 acres, which is surrounded by mountains. IIT Mandi has now nearly completely shifted to its main campus at Kamand, except for some sections. In spite of being the youngest of all IITs, it has been successful in developing a firm foundation in the field of sports.
- IIT Jodhpur: Currently operating from two sets of temporary campuses, IIT Rajasthan will shift to its sprawling state-of-the-art residential permanent campus on 852 acres of land in the forthcoming years. The new campus has been planned meticulously and envisioned to stand as a symbol of academics. Run under IIT Kanpur, the undergraduate courses taught here are Computers, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Biologically, Inspired Systems Science and System Sciencebesides other Postgraduate and Ph.D. programmes. The endeavour at IIT Jodhpur is to live up to this brand image, with a renewed focus on producing world-class technology-driven graduates.
Based on assessment of various parameters, one can say that in the coming days the infrastructure and faculty of these institutes will lead the way. Researchers will flock to these campuses once they realize the state-of-the-art facility being provided. In times to come, the new IITs are bound to become the pillars of India’s technical progress and will make the dream of providing quality education to the future generation come true.