Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT IIIT BASARA) Basara is a one of its kind university which actively uses Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in teaching. It is perhaps the first of its kind in the country with an educational model that is intensely ICT based. The primary objective of establishing RGUKT is to provide high-quality educational opportunities for the rural youth of the state. The selection process follows approved rules and has a very high competition where only the top rural graduates (mostly within the top 5%) get the opportunity to study at RGUKT IIIT Basara.
Six – Years Integrated Course
The program offered by the RGUKT consists of a six-year integrated course after 10th class examination leading to a B.Tech. degree. The first part of the six-year course is a two-year Pre University Course (equivalent to (TS) Intermediate) followed by the second part of four-year Engineering Course. At present the pre-university part of education offers premature specialization in tracks such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Life sciences (equivalent to MPC + BiPC). By bringing students into the University at an earlier stage we hope to impart a broad-based education including humanities and liberal arts to students.
The Pre University Part
This is equivalent to the two-year Intermediate (TS) education. The program provides a qualitative plus two education in itself and further lays a stronger foundation for the technical and professional courses ahead. It has an inbuilt system for remedial education for the students who are relatively weak. In addition, there is a foundation course in IT, preparing students to make full use of the Information Technology and Communication resources provided by the RGUKT in its novel model of teaching learning. There is a permitted exit after Pre-University if the student chooses to go for a career in other professional programs. The program also provides short-term courses in humanities and social sciences so that the students emerge as confident, energetic, enthusiastic youngsters seeking challenges in their university education and life.
Degree Programs at RGUKT IIIT Basara
Upon completion of 6 years of education, each year consisting of 3 semesters, and the prescribed requirements, the graduates will be awarded a B.Tech. degree in any one of the following engineering disciplines given below
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Further, depending on the performance and by earning additional credits, it is possible to get a B.Tech. with two Majors, i.e., one in Computer Science and the other from among Chemical, Civil, Electronics and Communication, Materials Science and Mechanical. Alternatively, it is possible to get a degree with one Major and two Minors or one Major and one Minor. One of the two Minors may be from Business Management, Economics Mathematics, Social Sciences, and Statistics.
It is expected that the employment prospects of graduates of RGUKT IIIT Basara will be comparable to the other world class universities in India. It is also anticipated that the broad-based education including soft skills will provide a strong foundation for national competitive examinations. Appropriate placement guidance and awareness programs will be conducted to prepare the students for private and public sector opportunities. Students also learn entrepreneurship and other skills that can help them to set out on their own.
As a government sponsored university, the tuition fees at Rajiv Gandhi University are highly subsidized by the TS government. The annual fee (for TS students) for the first two years (Pre University program) is Rs.36,000/-. This includes tuition, lodging and boarding.
Post Graduate Programme
This course has been designed incorporating advanced Computing Techniques and Tools to suit for the people seeking TEACHING/RESEARCH CAREER in computational Engineering/Sciences competing with world class curricula.
1. Name of the program: Interdisciplinary M.Tech program in Computational Engineering
2. The degree to be awarded: M.Tech in Computational Engineering (with a specialization in core branch in Computer Science & Engineering / Electronics & Communication Engineering)
Eligibility criteria RGUKT IIIT Basara
• Qualified in GATE (2014/2015) or PGECET 2015
• B.Tech /B.E with a core branch such as (Computer Science & Engineering / Electronics & Communication Engineering)
• 60% or above marks in B.Tech/B.E, Intermediate and SSC
• SC/ST candidates: 55% or above marks in B.Tech/B.E, Intermediate and SSC
The selection process for RGUKT IIIT Basara
• GATE (2014, 2015) or PGECET-2015 in order of merit followed by an INTERVIEW.
• In Interview, 80% marks will be taken from GATE marks (2014/2015) or PGECET (2015) marks and 20% marks from the interview score.
• First priority will be given to GATE (2014/15) qualified candidates. If the seats are left vacant, those seats will be filled with PGECET qualified candidates.
• Prospective National Students having qualified in GATE from States other than Telangana can also apply. Admissions of these candidates is subject to rules of Govt. of Telangana as in force treating them as Non-Local candidates under supernumerary.
Fee Structure for RGUKT IIIT Basara
Rs.6, 000/- (At the time of entering to First year) and Rs.4,000/- (At the time of entering to
a. Course Fee : Rs. 48,000/- per year (Rs. 96,000/- per two years)
b. Admission Fee : Rs. 1,000/- (one time in first year)
c. Special Fee : Rs. 4,000/- ( first year and second year)
d. Caution Deposit : Rs. 1,000/- (one time in first year & refundable)
e. Food and Accommodation: Rs. 40,000 per year
Also check out our article on IIIT Bangalore here.