I often come across statements like “Marks are not everything” and that “Each child is talented,” or “We should not pressurize children,” etc. Agreed. We do not tattoo our board exam marks on our foreheads, do we? The first thing a stranger notices in a person is one’s behavior. That stranger could be your future college dean, future manager or future client. To discuss whether we should judge a dolphin by its ability to climb a tree, is beyond the scope of this blog post. But yes, board exams scores do signify a very simple thing: it quantifies the level of sincerity and sense of responsibility of a student.
Today, in this article, we are going to discuss how board exam marks determine your future!
Board Exams: A Do-or-Die Situation
Truth is, the importance of exams, the talent of children and their future is a long-winded, complex problem. So, are board exam marks important? Hell, yeah! Colleges decide admissions based on the marks from the board. Any college would like to admit intelligent students, but they also want students capable of following instructions. So, they take their chances by taking students with ‘high’ marks.
Class 10th is undoubtedly one of the most relevant standards of formal education. It’s that time of life when one undergoes turbulent hormonal and psychological changes, thereby marking the onset of adulthood. The level and complexity of subjects bring seriousness and a sense of responsibility among students. Students tend to become more mature and stable. The most distinguishing feature of class 10 board exams is that they are the first nationalised external exam for school goers.
However, class 12th board exam is the next milestone in the journey of education. In comparison with class 10th, the degree of complexity in class 12th is higher. Results of class 12th board exams are usually announced in the month of May or June depending upon the board. Apart from board preparations, students also prepare for competitive exams in their respective electives, for example engineering aspirants go for annual engineering entrance exam (like JEE), medical aspirants prepares for NEET to be future doctors and commerce students go for CPT or CS. Students of class XII are expected to handle the dual pressure of both board and competitive exams.
Reasons Why You Need to Take 10th & 12th Standard Exams Seriously
- Firstly, scoring well in 10th and 12th will boost your confidence. Your teachers, parents, and all the well-wishers are bound to feel proud of you, and that makes a lot of difference to your overall state of mind. You know the interesting part? You could be famous, and your name could be published in newspapers if you pass with flying colours. It will also strengthen your belief in yourself and save you the embarrassment of talking about your poor scores in job interviews.
- Also, there are various kinds of scholarships and fee waiver schemes in private as well as government institutions based entirely on 10th and 12th results. So, it will reduce the financial burden on your parents as the admission process of graduation and post-graduation is costly.
- If your aim is MBA, then you better buckle up as there is a cut-throat competition to get into top colleges in India like IIMs. It often happens that in the Common Admission Exam (CAT), which IIMs organize to select students, scores of many candidates are the same. In that case, the results of 12th and 10th are considered and priority is given to any one student.
- If you are seeking a government job or planning to give the UPSC civil service exam & become an IAS, IPS or IFS officer, board exam marks will be a blessing in disguise.
- Foreign universities look at your overall profile and board marks before giving admission. Every country has its criteria and you should meet their minimum requirements to get admission. Take a look at the foreign universities that consider JEE scores here.
- Board exam results act form an important part of resume and act as an indicator of student’s academic performance. Many prestigious colleges and universities assign separate grade points to class 10th marks and heavily rely on them while granting admission to the students.
- If you are a JEE aspirant, then 12th board marks are very important to get admission in colleges other than IITs. Even for IITs, it has significance since they demand top 20 percentile in boards or min 75% in boards. If you are a JEE aspirant, go through an inspiring list of quotes by Steve Jobs here.
Scoring well in 10th and 12th will give you more benefits than you might expect. I, being a topper of my class in 10th, was invited to CEERI (Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute) located at Pilani Rajasthan for a tour. I felt extremely privileged to see all the advanced instruments in their labs and meet other toppers who had come all over India.
To conclude, give your best in your 10th and 12th and enjoy the sweet taste of success lifelong.
Here‘s how you should prepare to score well in your 10th boards.