YouTube is the world’s most popular online video site, with over 800 million users visiting it each month. The success story of YouTube is absolutely amazing & fascinating. Today, in this article we bring to you the story of YouTube & its success.
Just like Google, Ebay and Microsoft, YouTube was also an invention that originated from a garage. YouTube was established in the year 2005 & was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim. The founders of YouTube initially met at an online giant company PayPal during their professional career.
Apparently, one night when the three were working, they became frustrated while trying to email a video clip. It was at that point of time, the idea of a video sharing platform clicked to them. Initially the founders were short of money to formally launch the company, but after securing funds of nearly over $ 3.5 million from Sequoia Capital & an additional $8 million during April 2006, they were able to keep the servers going. Later in the year, the YouTube trademark domain name was also registered on Feb 14th 2005 and the site went live in May. Soon YouTube became a huge hit & was viral world over.
The invention of YouTube site spread across by mere word of mouth that initially fuelled its growth. They encouraged viral marketing through this platform which simply increased the number of users & viewers on this site over the period of time. It was amazing that YouTube had not spent a penny on its promotion but still it managed to grab the audience’s eye balls.
They smartly managed to make the viewers on the site to do the promotion themselves. They cleverly used the viral marketing idea of simply making it possible to embed the links of the video on YouTube to various social networking sites. The rise of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks has lead to the immense growth of YouTube by sharing of online video. This in turn created a huge buzz in various internet platforms & got them the much needed publicity
But the growth of the company was never easy. The company had to face its share of problems in terms of copyright issues that had to be dogged by the company in many ways through various laws. But today one of the major factors of YouTube’s growth is the plenty of copyright material that gets uploaded, published & advertised on the site.
Speaking about the success of YouTube the following statistics stand a testimony to it.
• Every day 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute, or one hour of video is uploaded on to YouTube every second
• There are over 4 billion videos that are viewed by visitors on a daily basis
• There are approximately over 800 million users visiting YouTube each month & the numbers are still increasing till date
• Believe it or not, but over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
• YouTube has been localized in 39 countries across 54 different languages
• In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views
• In fact in the year 2011 there were almost 140 views for every person on Earth
• statistic calculations prove that over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute
• There are more than 500 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link
• About 500 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook
• An approximate of Millions of subscriptions happen each day on to YouTube
• Almost Millions of videos are Favorited every day in YouTube
Well, needless to say much, these statistics themselves prove the popularity & the success of YouTube. The story of YouTube is inspiring. It clearly shows how an idea can lead to great inventions.