BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is one of the most popular and designated degree of dentists (doctors). The BDS is the only educational and professional program of dental surgery in India. Its degree is equivalent to MBBS. In this course, the students are taught about the denture, dental problems and surgery. BDS is also a good job oriented degree program. Keeping this in mind, we bring you the basic information about the BDS course, along with the best BDS colleges in Maharashtra.
Course Duration and Contents
• The BDS is a 5 year (4 years academic education + 1 year mandatory internship) UG degree programme.
• The BDS is one of the most sought courses after intermediate in medical field. There are many reputed BDS colleges.
• The BDS course contains the basic subjects like human anatomy, physiology & biochemistry, dental material, prosthodontics, microbiology, embryology & histology, general & dental pharmacology and pathology, periodontics, pedodontics, orthodontics and dentistry.
The Medical Council of India is the only accredited body for the medical courses. This course is now in heavy demand by the students after intermediate in medical field.
List of Top BDS Colleges in Maharashtra based on 2016 Ranking
• Government Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai
Established in 1938, is one of the best BDS colleges of India imparting Dental Education and Services to the country as well as abroad. The Institute has been named in the Top Three Dental Colleges in India by the Outlook Magazine for the past 7 years. It is affiliated by Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik; this Institute believes in being the Paradigm in Education and Healing as it boasts of state of the art equipment’s and technology as well as a highly qualified and respected Teaching Staff. This institute is proud to be the 1st institute to offer a BDS degree course in country, recognized by DCI.
As on today, our academic activities include yearly intake capacity of 100 students for BDS through MH-CET examination.
Total fee per year for BDS is Rs – 57,168/-
• Government Dental College & Hospital, Aurangabad
Established in 1982, it is one of the oldest Government aided institute located in the city of Aurangabad. The college is affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and is recognized by Dental Council of India. The College aims at imparting comprehensive education among its students. It is a college that is renowned for its excellent five years Bachelor’s course in the field of Dental Science. The college has been built with all modern amenities and accepts 40 students yearly through MH – CET examination. Over the years, the college has trained various aspirants and produced skilled dentists.
• Aditya Dental College and Hospital, Beed
Established in 2006, it is one of the best private BDS colleges. It has intake capacity of 100 students per year. It is recognised by government of India, approved by Dental Council of India (DCI), affiliated with Maharashtra University.
The college provides education at par with the help of its faculties and guest faculties. The students are provided with the best facilities with tools and equipment’s to provide practical access for the betterment of studies of its students. The college has numerous audio visual aids for the students to visualize the practical know how of the field. These audio video aids helps to gain knowledge on a larger basis as it is said seeing is learning. Practical knowledge helps the students to realize the realistic confronts that can come up while treating a patient. To make them feel at ease with all the challenges theoretical as well as practical demos are organized by the teachers as part of the syllabus.
Total fee per year for BDS is Rs – 2,70,000/-
• Dr Hedgewar Smruti Rugna Sewa Mandal Dental College, Hingoli
Established in 1998, is one of the best private college has intake capacity of 50 students per year. It is recognised by government of India, approved by Dental Council of India (DCI), affiliated with Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) Nashik. The sole aim of the institution is to train its students to become the best trained, skilled dentists who can impart quality services. In order to achieve its aim the college tends to provide clinical experience to its graduates along with state of art facilities. The college currently offers a Bachelor’s degree in Dental Sciences and is known for its world-class laboratories and infrastructure.
Total fee per year for BDS is Rs – 2,40,000/-.
• Jamanlal Goenka Dental College & Hospital, Akola
Established in 1989, is a reputed private college has intake capacity of 40 students per year. It is recognised by government of India, approved by Dental Council of India (DCI), affiliated with Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) Nashik. It works under the esteem guidance of Vidarbha Medical, Education & Research Foundation. It aims at making its students well qualified and skilled professionals. They provide the students with practical clinical experience and state of the art facilities to achieve this along with a variety of teaching and learning techniques to impart skills and knowledge to the students in various departments of the college.
Career and Opportunity
• There are plenty of good jobs & higher study opportunities available after getting the degree in dentistry as a doctor. It is the professional field with 100% job placement.
• A BDS graduate may go for the PG degree programmes leading to the Domain MDS (Master of Dental Surgery).
• This profession includes the imaging, tissue graft, implants, laser surgery and trauma. After completing the course you may be hired by the other BDS colleges, hospitals, nursing home, health corporations, health ministry, and back office medical consultancy.
The job profiles of the BDS may be the following:
• Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
• Oral Surgery
You can also go through our list of top MBBS colleges across India.
All the best!