What is VITEEE?
VIT University formerly called Vellore Engineering College, is a deemed university under Section 3 of the UGC Act. Founded in 1984, as Vellore Engineering College, by Mr. G. Viswanathan, the institution offers 20 undergraduate, 34 postgraduate, 4 integrated and 4 research programs. VIT University conducts VIT Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE) for granting admissions to various undergraduate engineering programmes. VITEEE is conducted as an online exam every year in the month of April for courses into its U.G. programs, where about 20 disciplines are available. Admissions to its two campuses, Chennai and Vellore, will be purely on the basis of the marks secured in the VITEEE. There are nearly 5,000 B.Tech seats for which around two lakh candidates register and appear every year.
Can I appear for VITEEE 2017?
- Age Limit: Candidate whose date of birth falls on or after 1st July 1995 are only eligible to apply.
- Educational Qualification: Candidate should have secured an aggregate of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/Biology in the qualifying examination (+2/Intermediate).
• For SC/ST & North Eastern State candidates, the average marks needed in +2 (or its equivalent) put together should be 50%.
• Candidates who have studied in Regular, Full Time and Formal Education are alone eligible to apply.
• NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) candidates are also eligible.
- No. of attempts: Instead of number of allowed attempts, VITEEE has imposed an age limit till which you can sit for the exam. The maximum age limit for the exam is 22. There is, hence, no limitations to the number of attempts as long as you fulfill the age criteria.
How do I register for VITEEE 2017?
- After the availability of the VITEEE online application form 2017, the candidates have to follow a few steps to complete the application procedure. The step-wise procedure is mentioned below.
- Candidates have to first register themselves by using their valid email ID and phone number.
- While registering, you will have to furnish some basic details. During registration, VIT University will send a password on the registered email ID and contact number.
- Using that password and the registered email, the applicants have to login and enter various personal and academic details and save it.
- While filling the application form of VITEEE 2017, the applicants need to furnish the following information: Name of the Candidate, Date of Birth, Gender, Religion (For statistical purpose only), Nationality, Community, Mother Tongue, Native State, Hostel Accommodation, Blood Group, Valid e-mail ID, Complete Postal Address, Pin code, Name of the Parent/Guardian, Parent’s/Guardian’s Occupation, Medium of Instruction, Mode of Study, XII Board, Choice of campus, Mobile Number, Test City, Details of the Qualifying Exam passed/appearing for etc.
- The next step involves applicants to upload softcopy (scanned copy) of recently taken passport size colour photograph with 50 kb-100 kb (Dimensions – 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm)/Softcopy (scanned copy) of signature of the candidate with 20 kb–50 kb (Dimensions – 3.5 cm x 1.5 cm) in JPG/JPEG format.
- Once the softcopy of the photograph and signature are uploaded, the aspirants need to pay VITEEE 2017 application or exam fee.
- Candidates paying through online need to pay VITEEE 2017 application fee of Rs 970 through Net banking/Debit card/Credit card.
What are the important dates for VITEEE 2017?
The important (tentative) dates for VITEEE 2017 are as follows. The application form will be available from the second week of November 2016.
|VITEEE Application Form starts||Second week of November 2016|
|Last date for issue/receipt of application forms||Third week of March 2017|
|Last date for editing submitted online application form||Third week of March 2017|
|CBT Slot Booking||Third week of March 2017|
|Admit card download||Third week of March 2017|
|VIT Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE 2017)||April 5 to April 16, 2017|
|VITEEE 2017 Entrance exam result||On or before April 24, 2017|
|Counselling Phase 1||Second week of May 2017|
What is the syllabus for VITEEE?
The syllabus for VITEEE 2016 is a rough amalgamation of the CBSE and the Tamil Nadu State Board syllabus. Questions for the examination will be only around the syllabus, so the student need not worry or study any advanced concept apart from the ones given. It is better to have a look at the syllabus for the examination before starting your VITEEE preparation.
- Physics: Laws of Motion & Work, Energy and Power, Properties of Matter, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Magnetic Effects of Electric Current, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Optics, Dual Nature of Radiation and Atomic Physics, Nuclear Physics, Semiconductor Devices and their Applications.
- Mathematics: Matrices and their Applications, Trigonometry and Complex Numbers, Analytical Geometry of two dimensions, Vector Algebra, Analytical Geometry of Three Dimensions, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus and its Applications, Differential Equations,Probability Distributions, Discrete Mathematics.
- Chemistry: Atomic Structure, p,d and f – Block Elements, Coordination Chemistry and Solid State Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Chemical Equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics, Electrochemistry, Isomerism in Organic Compounds, Alcohols and Ethers, Carbonyl Compounds, Carboxylic Acids and their derivatives, Organic Nitrogen Compounds and Biomolecules.
- Biology: Taxonomy, Cell and Molecular Biology, Reproduction, Genetics and evolution, Human health and diseases, Biochemistry, Plant physiology, Human physiology, Biotechnology and its applications, Biodiversity, ecology and environment
What is the exam pattern ?
The following are the details the candidate needs to keep in mind with regards to the VITEEE Exam Pattern.
The exam is a Computer Based Test (CBT) that is held in centers spread across the country and also abroad. When it comes to VITEEE Exam Pattern, candidates have options to attempt papers in either:
- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English (PCM variant)
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English (PCB variant)
The above selection has to be done at the time of slot booking itself. Candidates who attempt the PCM variant of the exam are eligible for all the B. Tech Programs offered at the university. Candidates attempting PCB variant are eligible for B. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Science and Engineering (with specialization in Bioinformatics available).
Duration of the exam is for 2 hours 30 minutes conducted in 3 slots on each day. The sessions are:
- Session 1: 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- Session 2: 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
- Session 3: 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Paper is a Multiple Choice Question Paper. It consists of 125 questions in each of the PCM and PCB formats, 120 questions of PCM/PCB format. (40 Questions each from Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology) and 5 questions of English. There are no negative marks for wrong answers. Since this exam does not have negative marks, it is advisable that the candidate try to guess the closest plausible answers to questions which they don’t exactly know the answer to.
How should I prepare for VITEEE 2017?
- Stick to the syllabus: Refer to the syllabus for VITEEE 2017 examination and make sure you thoroughly cover each topic, but there is no need to go beyond that. Prepare a study plan dividing all the topics and finish all the topics you have assigned in this plan on a daily / weekly basis.
- Be thorough with your basics: Most of the question in such examinations are asked with the motive of testing the basics of the students sitting for the examination. The more you read about a concept, the more you realise how each and every concept is applied to different questions.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses: Your preparation is strictly governed by self-analysis. Knowing your weaknesses allows you to work on your weak concepts, so ask doubts and probe further into concepts.
- Familiarize with online environment: VITEEE 2017 will be an online computer based test. Familiarizing yourself with online environment and solving the paper under a computerized clock becomes customary. Solve as many sample papers and mock tests as you can to do crack VITEEE.
- Revision notes: Lastly, make proper notes of concepts that require regular revision. These could be mathematical formulae or important chemical reactions; basically, anything that is important and is expected to be remembered for the exam.
From where should I study?
- Arihant Series – DC Pandey
Books on Mechanics – Part 1, Mechanics – Part 2, Waves and Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism and Optics and Modern Physics.
- Concepts of Physics (both volumes) by HC Verma.
- MCQ Question Bank by D Mukherjee.
- Inorganic Chemistry NCERT Text Book.
- Organic Chemistry Khan Academy Videos.
- Arihant Series – Dr. SK Goyal.
- Arihant Past Year AIEEE papers.
- VITEEE Solved Papers and Mock Tests from Arihant.
- RD Sharma – Objective Mathematics Part 1 and Part 2 (NCERT difficulty).
- NCERT Text Book.
- AC Dutta for Botany – Oxford Publication.
- Pradeep’s Biology Guide.
Where can I find previous years’ papers?
Previous year papers are important to practice because they help you simulate the final exam. You can find several sample papers and previous years’ papers over here. You can find here an entire question bank of question papers for you to practice and polish your skills.
When do I qualify?
VIT University doesn’t announce any cutoff marks as such for admissions to undergraduate engineering courses at its two campuses – Chennai and Vellore. VITEEE 2017 cut off can be considered as the closing rank for different branches for which VITEEE 2017 Counselling is conducted in different phases. For the engineering branches available at two campuses, the university conducts admission on the basis of Rank list which is based on percentile score secured by candidates. The candidates in the top merit slab of 1 to 20,000 are called for counselling on different days in the first phase of counselling. Based on their percentile merit, seats are offered to candidates in different branches. As of now, VITEEE 2015 branch-wise closing ranks are available:
VITEEE 2015 Branch-Wise and Campus-Wise Closing Rank
|S.No.||Campus||Engineering Branch||Closing Rank|
|1||VIT University, Vellore||Computer science and engg. (Specialization in Bioinformatics)||
|2||VIT University, Vellore||Bio Medical Engineering||
|3||VIT University, Vellore||Biotechnology||
|4||VIT University, Vellore||Civil Engineering||
|5||VIT University, Vellore||Computer Science and Engineering||
|6||VIT University, Vellore||Electronics and Communication Engineering||
|7||VIT University, Vellore||Electrical and Electronics Engineering||
|8||VIT University, Vellore||Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||
|9||VIT University, Vellore||Information technology||
|10||VIT University, Vellore||Mechanical Engineering||
|11||VIT University, Vellore||Mechanical (Spec. in Automotive Engineering)||
|12||VIT University, Vellore||Mechanical (Spec. in Chemical process Engineering)||
|13||VIT University, Vellore||Mechanical (Spec. in Energy Engineering)||
|14||VIT University, Vellore||Production and Industrial Engg.||
|15||VIT University, Chennai||Civil Engineering||
|16||VIT University, Chennai||Computer Science and Engineering||
|17||VIT University, Chennai||Electronics and Communication Engineering||
|18||VIT University, Chennai||Electrical and Electronics Engineering||
|19||VIT University, Chennai||Mechanical Engineering||
What colleges do I get through VITEEE?
Only two campuses accept VITEEE scores, namely VIT University, Vellore and VIT University, Chennai. At Vellore, the following B. Tech. programs are offered:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering (with specialization in Bioinformatics available)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering (with specializations in Automotive Engineering, Chemical Process Engineering, Energy Engineering).
- Production and Industrial Engineering
At Chennai, the following programs are offered in B. Tech.,
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
How should I discuss my doubts?
Asking doubts and clearing them is important while preparing for VITEEE. Toppr brings you a community who has survived the test of time and wants to help out a real VITEEE aspirant. You can head over here to discuss your doubts and find the following links useful too!