The Vellore Institute of Technology, known as VIT is an Indian institute of higher education and a deemed university. It is considered to be one of the Top Private Universities in India. VIT has campuses in two locations, Vellore and Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It conducts the entrance exam for courses into its U.G. programs where about 20 disciplines are available. The examination is known as VITEEE, or the Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam and is conducted in online format every year in the month of April. Apart from the 20 U. G. disciplines, VIT also provides 34 P. G. (post-graduate), 4 integrated and 4 research programs. Let’s have a detailed understanding of VITEEE Exam Pattern.
VITEEE Exam Pattern:
The following are the details the candidate needs to keep in mind with regards to the VITEEE Exam Pattern.
The exam is a Computer Based Test (CBT) that is held in centers spread across the country and also abroad. Questions are based on the specified syllabus from the links given above.
When it comes to VITEEE Exam Pattern, candidates have options to attempt papers in either:
- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English (PCM variant)
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English (PCB variant)
The above selection has to be done at the time of slot booking itself. Candidates who attempt the PCM variant of the exam are eligible for all the B. Tech Programs offered at the university. Candidates attempting PCB variant are eligible for B. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Science and Engineering (with specialization in Bioinformatics available).
Duration of the exam is for 2 hours 30 minutes conducted in 3 slots on each day. The sessions are:
- Session 1: 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- Session 2: 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
- Session 3: 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Paper is a Multiple Choice Question Paper. It consists of 125 questions in each of the PCM and PCB formats.
120 questions of PCM/PCB format. (40 Questions each from Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology) and 5 questions of English. There are NO NEGATIVE MARKS for wrong answers.
Since this exam does not have negative marks, it is advisable that the candidate try to guess the closest plausible answers to questions which they don’t exactly know the answer to.
Syllabus for VITEEE 2016
The syllabus for VITEEE 2016 can be downloaded from the following sources of the official VIT website. It is a rough amalgamation of the CBSE and the Tamil Nadu State Board syllabus.
- VITEEE 2016 – Physics Syllabus
- VITEEE 2016 – Chemistry Syllabus
- VITEEE 2016 – Biology Syllabus
- VITEEE 2016 – Mathematics Syllabus
- VITEEE 2016 – English Syllabus
Questions for the examination will be only around the syllabus, so the student need not worry or study any advanced concept apart from the ones given. It is better to have a look at the syllabus for the examination before starting your VITEEE preparation.
The syllabus in brief (units) is given below (taken from the above links):
- Laws of Motion & Work, Energy and Power
- Properties of Matter
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Electric Current
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current
- Nuclear Physics
- Dual Nature of Radiation and Atomic Physics
- Semiconductor Devices and their Applications
- Isomerism in Organic Compounds
- Alcohols and Ethers
- Carbonyl Compounds
- Carboxylic Acids and their derivatives
- Organic Nitrogen Compounds
- Atomic Structure
- p,d and f – Block Elements
- Coordination Chemistry and Solid State Chemistry
- Thermodynamics, Chemical Equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics
- Applications of Matrices and Determinants
- Complex Numbers
- Coordinate Geometry
- Vector Algebra
- Analytical Geometry of Three Dimensions
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus and its Applications (Definite and Indefinite Integrals)
- Differential Equations
- Probability Distributions
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Genetics and Evolution
- Human health and diseases
- Plant physiology
- Human physiology
- Biotechnology and its applications
- Biodiversity, ecology and environment
English includes fundamental requirements such as Grammar, Comprehension and Vocabulary that would normally be prepared by the candidate during their school preparations.
VITEEE when preparations done with the right mindset can be an easy exam to crack relatively. Hence it is important to stay focused. The admission rate is also not something to be worried about and is easily doable with simple practice and of course, confidence.
Find some tips and tricks to crack this exam here.
Toppr wishes you the very best for VITEEE 2017!