What is WBJEE?
The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination, or the WBJEE is a state-government controlled centralized admission test, which is conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board every year for facilitating admission across many government as well as private medical and engineering institutions in West Bengal.
Can I appear for the WBJEE?
Following are the criteria’s for ensuring the eligibility in the WBJEE:
- Candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- Candidate should have a domicile of West Bengal. However, the domicile is not required in case one wants to get admission into a private or a self-aided university.
- Candidate’s age should be 17 years as on 31st December 2017 and there is no upper age limit to apply. However, for the specific course of Marine Engineering, they must not be more than 25 years old as on 31st July 2017.
- Candidates who are interested in getting admission at Jadavpur University, should have passed their 10+2 examination from the state board, or from the CBSE and with a minimum of 60% marks in the same examination. However, for the reserved category candidates, the minimum allowed score in their 10+2 examination is 55%.
- Apart from Jadavpur University, if a candidate wants to get admission at any other institute through WBJEE, he/she should have secured minimum 45% marks. The minimum allowed score for the reserved category students in this case is 40%.
- The candidates must have passed their 10+2 from either from the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education, or some equivalent examination from a recognized council/board with Physics and Mathematics as the compulsory subjects, and Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/a Technical Vocational Subject (Engineering Drawing/Computer Science) as the other subjects.
How do I register for the WBJEE?
The WBJEE usually takes place in the month of May every year, the notification of which is out by December. It is expected that the application for WBJEE 2017 will be received online and the forms will be available at the portal of the Board at http://www.wbjeeb.nic.in in the first week of January, 2017. The hard copy of the duly filled application form will not be required. The candidates should go through the following steps to apply online:
- Filling up the Application Form
- Upload relevant scanned documents
- Fee payment
After successfully finishing the last step of fee payment, the “Confirmation Page” will be generated. The candidates should take the printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
The following documents are required to be uploaded during the online registration:
- Recent passport size colored Photograph
- Signature & Left hand thumb impression
- Birth Certificate
- Mark Sheet of 10th Standard/Registration certificate
- Domicile Certificate
- Category Certificate
- Income certificate
After the declaration of WBJEE results, a student has to go through the counselling process of WBJEE which takes place as follows:
- The candidates can fill their choice of colleges and branches in the counselling according to their respective ranks.
- Candidates who are eligible for both WBJEE 2017 and JEE Main 2017 can submit a single set of choices either against WBJEE 2017 or against JEE Main 2017 seats.
- Candidates need to register, fill the choices and then lock the choices only once for all the rounds of the counselling. No request for getting the registration done in-between the counselling will be entertained by the WBJEE Board.
- After locking their choices, the candidates must take a printout of their duly filled choices for the WBJEE Counselling.
- The seat allocation for the same will be carried out against the available vacancies (as per the Seat Matrix received from the DTE, West Bengal) and the candidate’s choice/preference.
Note : WBJEE 2017 Applications had closed on 4th February, 2017.
Important dates for WBJEE 2017?
The tentative important dates of WBJEE 2017 are as follows:
|Online Registration Starts From||5th January 2017|
|Online Registration Closes By||4th February 2017|
|Upload Mandatory Documents By||4th February 2017|
|Application Fee Payment By||4th February 2017|
|Confirmation Page Download By||4th February 2017|
|Application Correction Window||6th February – 8th February 2017|
|Admit Card Available for Download||12th April 2017|
|WBJEE||23rd April 2017|
|WBJEE Results||5th June 2017|
|Counselling Start By||First week of July 2017|
Exam centers for WBJEE 2017?
The WBJEE 2017 is expected to take place across several cities in West Bengal and also in Tripura, Agartala, Assam and Silchar. Although you can give three choices of the exam centers among the available options, but it might also happen that the students may not be allocated their first choice center due to insufficient number of seats at that respective center. However, they might be allocated their second or third choice of center depending on the seat availability. Because of the same reason, the candidates are advised to fill up their choices as early as possible.
What is the syllabus for WBJEE?
The syllabus for WBJEE comprises the following:
Physics: Physical World, Measurements, Units and Dimensions, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work Power and Energy, Centre of Mass and Friction, Gravitation, Bulk Properties of Matter, Heat and Thermal Physics, Thermodynamics, Kinetic theory of gases, Oscillation and Waves, Electrostatics, Current Electricity, Magnetic Effect of current, Magnetostatics, EMI and Alternating current, EM Waves, Optics, Particle nature of light and wave particle duality, Atomic Physics, Nuclear Physics, Solid State Electronics.
Chemistry: Atom, Molecules and Chemical Arithmetic, Atomic Structure, Radioactivity, Periodic Table, Chemical Bond and molecular structure, Coordination Compounds, Solid state, Liquid state, Gaseous state, Chemical Energetics and Dynamics, Physical chemistry of solutions, Redox equilibra, Hydrogen, Chemistry of non-metallic Elements and their compounds, Chemistry of metals, Chemistry in industry, Polymers, Surface chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Chemistry of Carbon compounds, Aliphatic Compounds, Haloalkanes, Haloarenes, Alcohols, Ethers, Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids, Aliphatic Amines, Aromatic Compounds, Application Oriented Chemistry, Intro to Bio-Molecules, Principles of Qualitative Analysis.
Mathematics: Algebra, Logarithms, Complex Numbers, Quadratic Equations, Permutation and Combinations, Principle of mathematical induction, Binomial Theroem, Matrices, Sets relations and mappings, Statistics and Probability, Trigonometry, Coordinate geometry in two and three dimensions, Differential and Integral calculus, Differential Equations, Application of Calculus, Vectors.
What is the WBJEE exam pattern?
In all the objective type questions (Multiple Choice Questions, or the MCQs), there are four options against each question, wherein you have to mark the correct answer(s) on the OMR sheet provided to you separately.
For each of the subjects, there are the following three categories of questions:
- Category 1: Each single answer type question of one mark each, with a negative marking of -0.25. There are 60 such questions in maths, 30 in physics and 30 in chemistry.
- Category 2: Each single answer type question of two marks each, with a negative marking of -0.5. There are 10 such questions in maths, 5 in physics and 5 in chemistry.
- Category 3: Each multiple answer type question carrying two marks each with no negative marking. Here the marks will be awarded for partially correct answers, but no marks will be awarded if even one wrong answer is marked. There are 10 such questions in maths, 5 in physics and 5 in chemistry.
How Should I prepare for WBJEE?
You can follow the following tips to crack WBJEE:
- Keep doing your revision
- Practice a lot of questions and mock tests with friends
- Learn how to focus better
- DO NOT GUESS!
- Take care of your health
- Be physically and mentally prepared for the exam day
Which books are helpful for WBJEE?
The following books are considered extremely helpful for the WBJEE:
- Mathematics books for classes XI and XII authored by S.N.De
- ‘Rudiments of Mathematics’ for classes XI and XII
- ‘Rudiments of Mathematics’ Volume 3 consisting of MCQs
- NCERT maths for classes XI and XII
- Physics books authored by Dutta, Pal and Chowdhury for classes XI and XII
- NCERT physics for classes XI and XII
- Chemistry books authored by Maity, Tiwari and Ray for classes XI and XII
- NCERT chemistry for classes XI and XII
- Comprehensive chemistry for classes XI and XII
- Arihant MCQ books for physics chemistry and maths
What about WBJEE Medical?
The following colleges offer admission in the M.B.B.S & BDS courses from WBJEE:
|S. No.||Institute Name||Institute Type|
|1||Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata||Government|
|2||N.R.S. Medical College, Kolkata||Government|
|3||R.G. Kar Medical College, Kolkata||Government|
|4||Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata||Government|
|5||Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura||Government|
|6||Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan||Government|
|7||North Bengal Medical College, Darjeeling||Government|
|9||Midnapur Medical College, Paschim Midinipur||Government|
|10||Maldah Medical College, Maldah||Government|
|11||Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital||Government|
|12||College of Medicine and Sagar Dutta Hospital, Kolkata||Government|
|13||ESI PGIMSR, Joka, Kolkata||Central Govt. Institute|
|14||College of Medicine and J.N. Memorial Hospital, Kalyani, Nadia||Government|
|15||K.P.C. Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata||Private|
|16||IQ City Medical College and NH Hospital, Durgapur||Private|
|17||I Care Medical College and Hospital, Haldia||Private|
|18||Dr. R. Ahmad Dental College, Kolkata||Government|
|19||North Bengal Dental College, Darjeeling||Government|
|20||Gurunanak Institute of Dental Science and Research, Panihati, Kolkata||Private|
|21||Haldia Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Haldia, Purba Medinipur||Private|
|22||Burdwan Dental College, Burdwan||Government|
How should I discuss my doubts?
Asking doubts and clearing them is extremely important while preparing for WBJEE. Toppr brings you a community who has survived the test of time and wants to help out a real WBJEE aspirant.
- How to reduce calculation mistakes?
- What are some of the best study techniques I can use?
- Cracking WBJEE question papers
- How to study for WBJEE in last 2 months?