Situated in Pune, the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) is one of India’s premier institutes for health sciences. It provides training to medical students in Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses and prepares them for career prospects in the defense services.
AFMC provides admission to students for various MBBS programmes on the basis of their results in either NEET or AIMPT exams along with their ToELR (Test of English Language, Comprehension, Logic and Reasoning) performance. Post this, a psychological assessment cum interview is done. Of the 130 seats available at AFMC, Pune, 105 are reserved for boys and 25 are for girls. A total of 10 seats are also reserved for candidates from scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
- The candidate applying for AFMC MBBS must be a citizen of India and must have completed 17 years of age on December 31st, 2016 (for this current year).
- The candidate should be unmarried and medically fit.
- If a candidate’s qualification is 10+2, then his or her age should be between 17 and 22 years.
- If a candidate is a B.Sc. candidate, then his or her age should be less than 24 years.
- Candidates who will apply for MBBS courses must have passed Higher Secondary or 10+2 or any other equivalent examination in the first attempt with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects.
- They must have secured not less than an aggregate of 60% and must also have passed Mathematics exam in Class 10.
- Candidates should apply for NEET exam which is conducted by CBSE.
- Candidates who desire to seek admission in AFMC PMT Entrance Exam 2017 are intimated that it has renamed to NEET.
- Before filling the AFMC PMT Application Form, candidates should register for NEET 2017 by visiting the official website. The registration form for NEET exams is available from 1st January to 31st March every year.
- Additionally, candidates are also required to register for AFMC separately though the website i.e. http://www.afmc.nic.in/.
- The link of registration for AFMC is activated once CBSE allots the roll number to candidates appearing for NEET 2017.
- Candidates have to keep in mind that AFMC MBBS admissions will be conducted as per their NEET scores. Therefore, the registration for AFMC needs to be done using the NEET Roll Number.
- Once the link for registration for AFMC is active, candidates must go to the AFMC official website and fill up the registration form. The dialogue boxes appearing one after the other will guide them through the registration procedure.
- Once done with the registration, candidates must click on the ‘Generate Challan’ link which shows up, take a print out of the Bank Challan which is generated and pay a registration fee of Rs. 250. Candidates can check their payment status after one or two days, by logging into their accounts.
The application procedure to AFMC is done in two stages:
Stage 1: Applying for NEET 2017
|NEET 2017 Online Applications to be Released||31st January, 2017|
|Last Date for Submitting the NEET Application||1st March, 2017|
|Payment of NEET Application Fee||31st January to 1st March, 2017|
|Date of Downloading Admit-Card on the Website||15th April, 2017|
|NEET 2017 Exam Date||7th May, 2017|
|Downloading of OMR Answer Sheet||Third or Fourth Week of May, 2017|
|Declaration of NEET 2017 Result||8th June, 2017|
Stage 2: Registering on the AFMC Website and Applying for ToELR
|Registration and Online Application Form Filling Starts||June, 2017|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application Forms||June, 2017|
|Last Date for Generation of Fee Challan||June, 2017|
|Last Date for Fee Payment||June, 2017|
|ToELR and Interview Date||July, 2017|
|Merit List Release||August, 2017|
The AFMC exam is conducted in two stages. Stage I is the NEET exam and Stage 2 contains ToELR and the interview. Students targeting Stage I should refer the NEET syllabus.
|SR. NO.||CLASS XI||CLASS XII|
|1.||Physical World and Measurement||Electrostatics|
|3.||Laws of Motion||Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism|
|4.||Work, Energy and Power||Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents|
|5.||Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body||Electromagnetic Waves|
|7.||Properties of Bulk Matter||Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation|
|8.||Thermodynamics||Atoms and Nuclei|
|9.||Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory||Electronic Devices|
|10.||Oscillations and Waves|
|SR. NO.||CLASS XI||CLASS XII|
|1.||Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry||Solid States|
|2.||Structure of Atom||Solutions|
|3.||Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties||Electrochemistry|
|4.||Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||Chemical Kinetics|
|5.||States of Matter: Gases and Liquids||Surface Chemistry|
|6.||Thermodynamics||General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements|
|8.||Redox Reactions||D- and F-Block Elements|
|10.||S-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals)||Haloalkanes and Haloarenes|
|11.||Some P-Block Elements||Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers|
|12.||Organic Chemistry - Some Basic Principles and Techniques||Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids|
|13.||Hydrocarbons||Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen|
|16.||Chemistry in Everyday Life|
|SR. NO.||CLASS XI||CLASS XII|
|1.||Diversity in the Living World||Reproduction|
|2.||Structural Organisation in Animals and Plants||Genetics and Evolution|
|3.||Cell Structure and Function||Biology and Human Welfare|
|4.||Plant Physiology||Biotechnology and Its Applications|
|5.||Human Physiology||Ecology and Environment|
Stage 2: ToELR examination:
This examination is conducted to check candidate's basic english comprehension and logical reasoning skills.
The syllabus generally consists of:
- English Comprehension
- Sentence Completion
- Logical Reasoning
Stage III is the Psychological Assessment cum Interview.
- The exam consists of 180 multiple choice questions, with a duration of 3 hours.
- There will be 45 questions each from Physics and Chemistry, and 90 questions from Biology.
- Each question carries 4 marks, with a penalty of 1 mark for marking the incorrect answer.
- ToELR will be conducted as a Computer Based Test.
- AFMC’s MBBS selection test will have 40 multiple choice questions, each of which will carry 2 marks. These 40 questions have to be answered in 30 minutes.
- For each incorrect response, half a mark will be deducted.
- The AFMC MBBS merit list will be based on a combination of AIPMT or NEET scores + ToELR score and interview marks. The AIPMT or NEET score will be added to the ToELR score and will then be divided by four to get a score out of 200.
- The interview will be worth 50 marks, bringing the total to 250 marks.
- Understand the NEET syllabus well as it is the equivalent of the CBSE syllabus for Classes 11th and 12th. Use this fact to stick hard and fast to the syllabus. For a deeper hold on topics, check Toppr learn.
- Practice lots of questions to improve your accuracy. Toppr offers you a huge question bank brimming with challenging questions!
- Prepare important topics very thoroughly, as the most frequently asked topics rarely fetch easy questions. Grasping them well will enhance your chances at scoring better in the exam. For important topics and their weightage in previous year’s papers, check here.
- Some of the questions asked are applicative and should be practised well.
- Solving previous years’ papers will familiarize you with the type of questions that are asked in the exam, and also simulate an exam-like environment. This is why you must make sure that you solve sample papers and previous years’ papers.
- Make sure to strategize comprehensively about the exam beforehand.
- To overcome the hurdles before NEET, you can find some tips here!
- Take a few basic tests based on English comprehension, synonyms and antonyms.
- Have a general, overall knowledge of the language.
- For Maths and Logical Reasoning, presence of mind is required. You can develop on this through sufficient practice from the books recommended later in the page.
- Don’t delude yourself into thinking you can fool the people sitting on the interview panel.
- If you have attached certificates of achievement in any extracurricular activity, be mentally prepared to be tested on that.
- Your hobbies might be another thing you’re tested upon. If you’ve mentioned that you like acting, the interviewers might ask you to do a scene from some famous movie! Do not freak out at such times. Just do whatever you are asked to.
- You should be ready to answer why you want to join AFMC. Again, be truthful.
- Read up about things like ‘health problems in your area’, ‘your state’, ‘its specialities’ and more. In fact, read up entire articles on your city and state from Wikipedia. For current affairs, just regularly read newspapers for a couple of days before your interview.
Good reference books are a must for cracking any exam. The best and most relevant reference books are given below:
- NCERT Biology, for Class XI and XII
- Trueman's Biology, Vol 1 and 2
- Objective Biology by Dinesh Publications
- Pradeep Publications Biology
- G.R. Bathla's Publications for Biology
- Concepts of Physics by H.C. Verma
- Concepts of Physics by D.C. Verma
- NCERT - Physics (Part 1 and Part 2)
- NCERT Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry by O.P. Tandon and P. Bahadur
- Inorganic Chemistry by O.P. Tandon
- Organic Chemistry by O.P. Tandon and R.K. Gupta
English and logical reasoning
- Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
- How to Crack a Test of Reasoning: In All Competitive Exams (English) by Arihant Publishers
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K. Pandey
- A New Approach to Verbal and Non-verbal Reasoning (English) - 1st Edition by B.S. Sijwali and Indu Sijwali
Previous Years’ Papers
Since NEET now caters to AFMC as Stage 1, you will have to go through NEET previous years’ papers to get a stronghold on this exam.
You can find them below:
Find more papers here!
The basis of shortlisting for ToELR and the interview will be the NEET scores of the respective candidate. Once a candidate is shortlisted, they will face the ToELR (80 marks) exam and interview (50 marks). The NEET and ToELR marks will be normalized to out of 200 (720+80/4). Adding the interview to this would give the exam a total of 250 marks.
Candidates will qualify if their overall scores are higher than the cutoff. The cutoffs will depend on several factors, such as difficulty level of both the exams, and the number of seats up on offer.
With the first hurdle of entrance being NEET, it is imperative that you clear all your doubts as soon as they arise. For doubts, you can reach us at Toppr doubts. Over here, you can put up your questions or doubts and get them answered by experts who have been in the same situation as you, and cleared the exam. Check out some more important information about AFMC in the articles below: