About JEE Main
Joint Entrance Exam Main (JEE) is an All India Common Entrance Exam for admission to engineering colleges across India. It is conducted in two phases, JEE Main and JEE Advanced. The NITs, IIITs and other central or state funded institutes grant admission based on JEE Main. Students are eligible to write JEE Advanced only if they clear the cut off marks in JEE Main 2017. JEE is considered as one of the toughest exams in the world. Over 1.4 million students appear and only 20000 get a rank.
Eligibility, like every year, depends on 3 factors : Age criteria, Year of appearing for 12th standard exam or equivalent and number of attempts made for JEE.
Check your eligibility below.
- Candidates born on or after October 1, 1992 are eligible to apply provided their SSC certificate shows the same.
- SC/ST and PwD candidates must be born on or after October 1, 1987.
- A candidate can apply for JEE Main for a maximum of 3 times.
The official announcement regarding JEE Main & JEE Advanced 2017 is already out.
The procedure to register is:
- JEE Main application forms are to be filled online.
- Form fees should be paid according to the norms of JEE.
- For Mains, correction period - within two weeks in January 2017.
- Admit card for JEE Main & JEE Advanced is available for download from the official JEE link.
After JEE Main results, a student has to go through JEE Main counselling.
|Availability of Application Form||Dec 1, 2016|
|Last Date for Application Form||Jan 2, 2016|
|Download of Admit Card||Week 2, Mar 2017|
|Offline Exam||Apr 2, 2017|
|Computer Based Exam||Apr 8,9 2017|
|Answer Key||Apr 18 - 22, 2017|
|OMR Response Sheet availability||Apr 18 - 22, 2017|
|Result||Apr 27, 2017|
|Rank List||Apr 27, 2017|
|Counselling through JOSAA 2017||Jul 2017|
What is the syllabus?
- 01.Physics and measurement
- 03.Laws of motion
- 04.Work power and energy
- 05.Rotational motion
- 07.Properties of solid and liquids
- 09.Kinematics of gases
- 10.Oscillations and waves
- 12.Current electricity
- 13.Magnetic effects of current and magnetism
- 14.Electromagnetic induction
- 15.Alternating currents
- 16.Electromagnetic waves
- 18.Dual nature of matter and radiation
- 19.Atoms and nuclei
- 20.Electronic devices
- 21.Communication systems and Experimental skills.
- 01.Some basic concepts in chemistry
- 02.States of matter
- 03.Atomic structure
- 04.Chemical bonding
- 05.Molecular structure
- 06.Chemical thermodynamics
- 09.Redox reactions
- 11.Chemical kinetics
- 12.Surface chemistry
- 13.Classification of elements and periodicity in properties
- 14.General principles and processes of isolation of metals
- 16.s-block elements
- 17.p-block elements
- 18.d- and f- block elements
- 19.Co-ordination compounds
- 20.Environmental chemistry
- 21.Purification of organic compounds
- 22.Basic principles of organic chemistry
- 24.Organic compounds containing halogens
- 25.Organic compounds containing oxygen
- 26.Organic compounds containing nitrogen
- 29.Chemistry in everyday life
- 30.Principles related to practical chemistry
- 01.Sets relation and functions
- 02.Complex numbers and quadratic equations
- 03.Matrices and determinants
- 04.Permutations and combinations
- 05.Mathematical induction
- 06.Binomial theorem and its simple applications
- 07.Sequences and series
- 08.Limits continuity and differentiability
- 10.Application of derivatives
- 11.Definite and indefinite integrals
- 12.Area under curves
- 13.Differential equations
- 14.Straight lines and pair of straight lines
- 15.Conic sections
- 16.Three dimensional geometry
- 17.Vector algebra
- 21.Mathematical reasoning
Exam pattern of JEE Main 2017
- Paper 1 is a 3 hour exam for admission in B.Tech/B.E courses, fetching questions from Physics, Chemistry and Maths.
- Paper 1 will available in English and Hindi.
- The paper comprises of 30 questions each from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, and carries a total of 360 marks.
- Each question carries 4 marks for a correct response and a penalty of 1 mark for an incorrect response. No marks will be awarded to an unattempted question.
- Practice is the key - Practice as much as you can. Toppr offers more than 3 lakh questions for your unlimited practice to make your concepts in each chapter strong. 70% of JEE preparation is practice.
- Give mock tests at an All India level - Give timed tests in a complete real exam like environment to improve your efficiency of attempting questions. Toppr offers All India Test Series to compete with students all over India.
- Clear all your doubts - Don't let doubts stop you! Ask your doubts to the subject experts of Toppr to get an instant reply. You can discuss your doubts here.
- JEE Main 2017 isn’t just about preparation, but also about applying certain tried and tested techniques.
- Study from the best sources - NCERT and the recommended books for JEE are the minimum resources you need. Toppr offers the best study material from all over the web to help you prepare better.
- Maintain revision notes as and when you go through a formula or a concept as bulletin points. These will come in handy when the exams are close and will help you revise much faster. Without these notes, you’ll have to resort to reading through the entire chapter again, which will only waste valuable time.
- NCERT Class 11th and 12th
- Arihant series, DC Pandey, books on - Mechanics – Part 1, Mechanics – Part 2, Waves and Thermodynamics, Electricity and Magnetism, Optics and Modern Physics
- Concepts of Physics (both volumes) by HC Verma
- Inorganic Chemistry NCERT Text Book
- Physical Chemistry by OP Tandon, GR Bathla publications
- Morrison and Boyd for Organic chemistry
- MS Chauhan for problems in organic chemistry
- P Bahadur for problems in physical chemistry
- RD Sharma – Objective Mathematics Part 1 and Part 2 (NCERT difficulty)
- Course in mathematics for JEE - Tata Mcgraw Hill publications
- The Pearson Guide to complete mathematics for JEE - S L Loney
- Arihant series books by Dr S K Goyal and Amit Agrawal
Previous year papers
Previous year papers are important to practice because they help you simulate the real JEE. Toppr provides you with the complete set of all question banks from previous years which you can practice to sharpen your skills. You can find them all here:
A candidate needs to clear JEE Main 2017 cutoffs to appear for JEE Advanced. Only top 220,000 students will be allowed to give JEE Advanced based on JEE Main 2017 results.
As for taking admissions via your JEE Main results, the cutoffs vary from year to year. The cutoffs of individual years depend upon the number of candidates who register, the difficulty level of the paper, and the number of institutes participating in the counselling procedure. However, the cutoffs can be assumed to lie in the 105-115 marks bracket generally.
Colleges through JEE Main 2017
The JEE Main 2017 score is used across all the NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, and other central or government funded colleges. Some self-deemed universities or colleges also consider JEE Main 2017 scores for admission purposes. The following are a few colleges that offer admission based on JEE Main scores:
- National Institute of Technology, Warangal
- National Institute of Technology, Trichy
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- National Institute of Technology, Surat
- National Institute of Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- National Institute of Technology, Agartala
- National Institute of Technology, Allahabad (U.P.)
- National Institute of Technology, Arunachal Pradesh.
- National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut (Kerela)
- National Institute of Technology, Srinagar (J&K)
- National Institute of Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Science Education & Research, Pune
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Carpet Technology, Bhadohi
Toppr for JEE Main
Toppr is India’s best learning app. Here’s how Toppr can help optimise your preparation:
- The video lectures offered by Toppr are prepared by the best teachers in India. They are not only knowledge-rich but have interesting animations which enable you to visualize and commit to memory everything you learn.
- The intelligence encoded into the app will automatically generate the right questions for you, thus saving you time in your practice. The way this works is: Toppr will initially present you with some questions. Based on your accuracy, and the time you take to crack them, Toppr will precisely evaluate your level of preparation and the concepts which you need to strengthen.
- A well-organised question bank consisting of easy, moderate and hard difficulty levels will present you with a wide variety of questions. This will help you be quick and accurate for the easy questions, and skillful and insightful for the difficult ones.
- Toppr offers an All India Test Series to help you pit yourself against the brightest minds in the country. Compete with the 13 lakh students practicing on Toppr, and you will have a fair idea of your position nationally. Moreover, we provide an exhaustive analysis at the end of every test to help you identify genuine areas of concern in your preparation.
- Instant doubt clearing is crucial to your learning. On Toppr Doubts, a team of subject experts are available 24*7 to clear any doubts you may have, anytime.