What is WBJEE?
The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board was formed in the year 1962 for the purpose of holding Common Entrance Examinations for admission to the Undergraduate Level Engineering Courses in the State of West Bengal. The endeavour of the Board has always been directed towards enhancement of transparency in conducting Common Entrance Examinations for various professional Undergraduate and Postgraduate level courses in the State through effective state-of-the-art technology.
The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination, or the WBJEE is a centralized admission test, conducted by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board for facilitating admission across many government as well as private engineering institutions in West Bengal. It is one of the top engineering entrance exams in the country.
Can I appear for WBJEE 2017?
Following are the criterias for ensuring the eligibility in the WBJEE 2017:
- Candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- Candidate should have a domicile of West Bengal. However, the domicile is not required in case one wants to get admission into a private or a self-aided university.
Candidate’s age should be more than 17 years as on 31st December 2017.
- For the specific course of Marine Engineering, they must not be more than 25 years old as on 31st July 2017.
|Percentage criterion in 10+2 examinations|
|University||General category||Reserved category|
How do I register for WBJEE 2017?
The WBJEE usually takes place in the month of May every year, the notification of which is out by December. It is expected that the application for WBJEE 2017 will be received online and the forms will be available at the portal of the Board in the last week of December 2016.
The candidates should go through the following steps to apply online:
- Filling up the Application Form
- Upload relevant scanned documents
- Fee payment
- After successfully finishing the last step of fee payment, the “Confirmation Page” will be generated. The candidates should take the printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
The following documents are required to be uploaded during the online registration:
- Recent passport size colored Photograph
- Signature & Left hand thumb impression
- Birth Certificate
- Mark Sheet of 10th Standard/Registration certificate
- Domicile Certificate
- Category Certificate
- Income Certificate
What are the Important Dates for WBJEE 2017?
The tentative important dates of WBJEE 2017 are as follows:
|Online Registration Starts From||Last week of December 2016|
|Online Registration Closes By||Second week of February 2017|
|Upload Mandatory Documents By||Third week of February 2017|
|Fee Payment By||Fourth week of February 2017|
|Confirmation Page Download By||Last week of March 2017|
|Admit Card Can Be Downloaded By||First week of April 2017|
|Tentative Examination||May 2017|
|Results By||Jun 2017|
|Counselling Start By||First week of July 2017|
How are the Exam Centers allotted for WBJEE?
The WBJEE 2017 is expected to take place across several cities in West Bengal and also in Tripura, Agartala, Assam and Silchar. Here is how exam centers are allotted for WBJEE:
- You can give three choices of the exam centers among the available options
- Students may not be allocated their first choice center due to insufficient number of seats at that respective center.
- In such a case, they might be allocated their second or third choice of center depending on the seat availability.
Because of the above reason, the candidates are advised to fill up their choices as early as possible.
What is the syllabus for WBJEE 2017?
- 01. Measurements
- 02. Units & Dimensions
- 03. Kinematics
- 04. Laws of Motion
- 05. Work Power and Energy
- 06. Centre of Mass and Friction
- 07. Gravitation
- 08. Bulk Properties of Matter
- 09. Heat and Thermal Physics
- 10. Thermodynamics
- 11. Kinetic theory of gases
- 12. Oscillation and Waves
- 13. Electrostatics and Current Electricity
- 14. Magnetic Effect of current
- 15. Magnetostatics
- 16. EMI and Alternating current
- 17. EM Waves
- 18. Optics
- 19. Particle nature of light and wave particle duality
- 20. Atomic Physics and Nuclear Physics
- 21. Solid State Electronics
- 01. Atom, Molecules and Chemical Arithmetic
- 02. Atomic Structure
- 03. Radioactivity
- 04. Periodic Table
- 05. Chemical Bond and molecular structure
- 06. Coordination Compounds
- 07. Solid state, Liquid state, Gaseous state
- 08. Chemical Energetics and Dynamics
- 09. Physical chemistry of solutions
- 10. Redox equilibria
- 11. Hydrogen
- 12. Chemistry of non-metallic Elements and their compounds
- 13. Chemistry of metals
- 14. Chemistry in industry
- 15. Polymers and Surface chemistry
- 16. Environmental Chemistry
- 17. Chemistry of Carbon compounds
- 18. Aliphatic Compounds
- 19. Haloalkanes & Haloarenes
- 20. Alcohols, Ethers, Aldehydes
- 21. Ketones, Carboxylic Acids, Aliphatic Amines
- 22. Aromatic Compounds,
- 23. Application Oriented Chemistry
- 24. Intro to Bio-Molecules
- 25. Principles of Qualitative Analysis
- 01. Algebra
- 02. Logarithms
- 03. Complex Numbers
- 04. Quadratic Equations
- 05. Permutation and Combinations
- 06. Principle of mathematical induction
- 07. Binomial Theorem
- 08. Matrices
- 09. Sets relations and mappings
- 10. Statistics and Probability
- 11. Trigonometry
- 12. Coordinate geometry in two and three dimensions
- 13. Differential and Integral calculus
- 14. Differential Equations
- 15. Application of Calculus
- 16. Vectors
What is the WBJEE exam pattern?
In all the objective type questions (Multiple Choice Questions, or the MCQs), there are four options against each question, wherein you have to mark the correct answer(s) on the OMR sheet provided to you separately.
|Marks distribution for different categories of questions|
|Number of questions|
* Marks will be awarded for partially correct answers, but no marks will be awarded if a single wrong answer is marked.
How should I prepare for WBJEE?
The books given below are most recommended and extremely helpful for the WBJEE.
- Mathematics books for classes XI and XII authored by S.N.De
- 'Rudiments of Mathematics' for classes XI and XII
- NCERT maths for classes XI and XII
- Physics books authored by Dutta, Pal and Chowdhury for classes XI and XII
- NCERT physics for classes XI and XII
- Chemistry books authored by Maity, Tiwari and Ray for classes XI and XII
- NCERT chemistry for classes XI and XII
- Comprehensive chemistry for classes XI and XII
Solving practice questions:
- 'Rudiments of Mathematics' Volume 3 consisting of MCQs
- Arihant MCQ books for physics chemistry and maths
Where can I find Previous years paper of WBJEE?
Solving all previous year question papers for WBJEE will help you understand the frequently asked questions, topics and pattern. You can find all previous years question papers here:
When do I qualify for WBJEE 2017?
WBJEE board releases a list of ranks that are qualified for WBJEE. In 2016, the rank list had 12,183 names out of 54,889 candidates who took the test. Post this, a student has to follow the counselling procedure to get admission in various colleges.
What is the counselling procedure for WBJEE 2017?
After the declaration of WBJEE results, a student has to go through the counselling process of WBJEE which is as follows:
- The candidate has to fill their choice of colleges and branches according to their respective ranks
- Candidate who is eligible for both WBJEE 2017 and JEE Main 2017 can submit a single set of choices either against WBJEE 2017 or against JEE Main 2017 seats
- Candidate needs to register, fill the choices and then lock the choices which is allowed only one time for all the rounds of the counselling
- A request for getting the registration changed in-between the counselling is not entertained by the WBJEE Board
- After locking their choices, the candidate will have to take a printout of their duly filled choices for the WBJEE Counselling
- The seat allocation for the same is carried out against the available vacancies and the candidate’s choice/preference
How should I discuss my doubts of WBJEE?
Asking doubts and clearing them is extremely important while preparing for WBJEE. Toppr brings you a community of writers who excel at giving insightful suggestions and help you prepare for WBJEE.
- How to reduce calculation mistakes?
- What are some of the best study techniques I can use?
- Cracking WBJEE question papers
- Doubts asked by students regarding WBJEE
- How to study for WBJEE in last 2 months?
You can always visit our Discuss page and ask your doubts or check the doubts asked by another student.