WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination) is a state-level common entrance test organized by the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board. It was conducted to screen candidates for admissions in undergraduate Engineering, Architecture and Pharmacy programmes, offered by various colleges and universities of West Bengal. Through this exam, students will be eligible for admissions in Government colleges and Self-Financed Engineering and Technological institutes in the state.
WBJEE offers admissions to engineering courses in about 104 institutes and colleges across the state through a common counselling held after the announcement of the WBJEE result. Admissions to the participating institutes are offered to the candidates on the basis of their ranks. The WBJEE 2017 result has been announced on 5th June, 2017.
However, self-financed engineering colleges may also offer admissions to candidates on the basis of their merit in the All-India common entrance test, viz. JEE Main 2017.
The Office of the board functions from:
AQ-31/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake City, Kolkata - 700 091.
Phone: (033) 23671198, Tele-Fax: (033) 23671148.
Toll-Free Helpdesk: 1800-1023-781.
Website: click here
- The candidate must be an Indian Citizen.
- The candidate should have a domicile of West Bengal. However, the domicile is not required in case one wants to get admission into a private or a self-aided university.
- The candidate’s age should be 17 years as on 31st December, 2017. There is no upper age limit to apply. However, for the specific course of Marine Engineering, they must not be more than 25 years old as on 31st July, 2017.
- Candidates who are interested in getting admission at the Jadavpur University, should have passed their 10+2 examination from the state board or from CBSE with a minimum of 60% in the same examination. However, for candidates in Reserved categories, the minimum allowed score in their 10+2 examination is 55%.
- Apart from Jadavpur University, if a candidate wants to get admission at any other institute through WBJEE, he or she should have secured a minimum of 45%. The minimum allowed score for candidates in the reserved category, in this case, is 40%.
- Candidates must have passed their 10+2 from either the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education or some equivalent examination from a recognized council or board, with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects, and Chemistry, Biotechnology, Biology or a Technical Vocational Subject (Engineering Drawing or Computer Science) as the other subjects.
- The WBJEE 2017 Application Form was available via an online process through the official website of WBJEE.
- It was available from 5th January, 2017 till 4th February, 2017.
- Correction in uploaded images was done till 20th February, 2017.
- Candidates are required to upload scanned copies of the necessary documents.
- Candidates should keep printouts of the confirmation page for further use.
- The application fee is Rs. 500 with the bank’s additional service charges.
- The application fee payment can be made through online and offline modes.
- Candidates can pay the application fee via Debit or Credit Card, Net Banking or through the e-challan of Allahabad Bank.
Documents Required for the Application Form:
- Latest Coloured Passport Size Photograph
- Left Hand Thumb Impression
- Registration Certificate or Admit Card or Mark Sheet of Class 10
- Domicile Certificate
- Category Certificate
- PwD Certificate
- Income Certificate
To download the application form, click here
|Availability of Information along with Proforma for Domicile and Income Certificates||28th December, 2016|
|Availability of WBJEE 2017 Online Application Form||5th January, 2017|
|Last Date to for Registration and Application Form Filling||4th February, 2017|
|Last Date for Uploading Documents||4th February, 2017|
|Last Date for Fee Payment||4th February, 2017|
|Last Date for Printing the Confirmation Page||4th February, 2017|
|Window for Correction (based on board's feedback and self-induced errors) along with Uploading of Correct Certificates by Candidates
Date Extended for Correction Window
|6th to 8th February, 2017
20th February, 2017 (till 5:00 pm)
|Availability of Downloadable Admit Card||12th April, 2017|
|WBJEE 2017 Paper I (Mathematics)||23rd April, 2017 (11:00 am to 1:00 pm)|
|WBJEE 2017 Paper II (Physics & Chemistry)||23rd April, 2017 (2:00 pm to 4:00 pm)|
|Release of WBJEE 2017 Answer Key||18th May, 2017|
|WBJEE 2017 Result||5th June, 2017|
|Counselling||Third Week of June, 2017 (online)|
- 01.Physical World, Measurements, Units and Dimensions
- 03.Laws of Motion
- 04.Work, Power and Energy
- 06.Bulk Properties of Matter
- 09.Kinetic Theory of Gases
- 10.Oscillations and Waves
- 12.Current Electricity
- 13.Magnetic Effect of Current
- 15.Electromagnetic Waves
- 16.Atomic Physics
- 17.Nuclear Physics
- 18.Solid State Electronics
- 01.Atoms, Molecules and Chemical Arithmetic
- 02.Atomic Structure
- 03.Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry
- 04.The Periodic Table and Chemical Families
- 05.Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- 06.Coordination Compounds
- 07.Solid State
- 08.Liquid State
- 09.Gaseous State
- 10.Chemical Energetics and Chemical Dynamics
- 11.Physical Chemistry of Solutions
- 12.Ionic and Redox Equilibria
- 14.Chemistry of Non-Metallic Elements and their Compounds:
- 15.Chemistry of Metals
- 16.Chemistry in Industry
- 18.Surface Chemistry
- 19.Environmental Chemistry
- 20.Chemistry of Carbon Compounds
- 21.Aliphatic Compounds
- 22.Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- 25.Aldehydes and Ketones
- 26.Carboxylic Acids
- 27.Aliphatic Amines
- 28.Aromatic Compounds
- 29.Application Oriented Chemistry
- 30.Introduction to Biomolecules
- 31.31. Principles of Qualitative Analysis
- A.P., G.P., H.P.
- Complex Numbers
- Quadratic Equations
- Permutation and Combination
- Principle of Mathematical Induction
- Sets, Relations and Mappings
- Statistics and Probability
- 02. Trigonometry
- 03. Complex Numbers
- 04. Coordinate Geometry of Two Dimensions
- 05. Coordinate Geometry of Three Dimensions
- Differential Calculus
- Second Order Derivative
- Integral Calculus
- Application of Calculus
To download the detailed syllabus, click here
In all the objective type questions (Multiple Choice Questions, or the MCQs), there are four options against each question, wherein you have to mark the correct answer(s) on the OMR sheet provided to you separately. Go through the table below to understand the test pattern of WBJEE 2017.
WBJEE 2017 Exam Pattern
|SUBJECT||CATEGORY 1||CATEGORY 2||CATEGORY 3||TOTAL MCQ||TOTAL MARKS|
|Physics||30 x 1 mark||5 x 2 marks||5 x 2 marks||40||50|
|Chemistry||30 x 1 mark||5 x 2 marks||5 x 2 marks||40||50|
|Mathematics||50 x 1 mark||15 x 2 marks||10 x 2 marks||75||100|
For each subject, there are the following three categories of questions:
- Category 1: Each single answer type question of one mark each, with a negative marking of -0.25. There are 60 such questions in Maths, 30 in Physics and 30 in Chemistry.
- Category 2: Each single answer type question of two marks each, with a negative marking of -0.5. There are 10 such questions in Maths, 5 in Physics and 5 in Chemistry.
- Category 3: Each multiple answer type question carrying two marks each with no negative marking. Here the marks will be awarded for partially correct answers, but no marks will be awarded if even one wrong answer is marked. There are 10 such questions in Maths, 5 in Physics and 5 in Chemistry.
For more valuable tips on the WBJEE Exam Pattern, click here.
The WBJEE 2017 Admit Card was available for downloading by the exam conducting authority from April 10th, 2017 onwards. It was available for all candidates who had successfully submitted their Application Form. All applicants had to download their Admit Card and carry its hard copy along to the respective test centre allotted to them.
Candidates must ensure that the Admit Card is not mutilated, distorted or soiled, even by accident. A candidate with such an Admit Card will not be allowed to appear in the exam.
To download the admit card, click here
WBJEE 2017 took place across several cities in West Bengal and also in Tripura, Agartala, Assam and Silchar. Although students can give three choices for the exam centres among the available options, it might also happen that they may not be allocated their first choice due to an insufficient number of seats at that respective centre. However, they might be allocated their second or third choice of centre depending on the availability of seats. Due to the same reason, candidates are advised to fill up their choices as early as possible.
For the list of exam districts and zones, click here
Reservation of Seats
The admission or reservation criteria for WBJEE 2017 are provided below for the candidate’s reference:
- About 10% of all seats are available for JEE Main 2017 and AIEEE.
- Candidates applying under reserved categories may not be domiciled in West Bengal.
- Candidates applying under reserved categories must fulfil the Eligibility Criteria for WBJEE 2017.
- Candidates are eligible to apply for reserved seats in all self-financed Engineering and Technology colleges in West Bengal.
- Admission will be based on the merit list declared by WBJEE and students’ preferences, conducted through an e-counselling process by the state board.
Category-wise guidelines for WBJEE 2017 Reservation
Complete details about the WBJEE 2017 seat reservation will be uploaded prior to the counselling. The information regarding important documents and instructions to be followed by candidates for each category is provided below:
SC and ST candidates
To successfully register for admission, candidates must upload their documents at the time of WBJEE registration during the form-filling process. Candidates are required to get signatures from the following officials:
- Deputy Collector of Land Revenue, Kolkata
- Collector of Stamp Revenue, Kolkata
- Metropolitan Magistrate, Kolkata
- Additional Chief
- Metropolitan Magistrate, Kolkata
- Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, Kolkata
- 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate
- Executive Magistrate
- Sub-divisional Magistrate
- Sub-divisional Officer
- Deputy Collector
- Additional District Magistrate Collector and
- District Magistrate within their respective local jurisdictions – In case the candidate ordinarily resides within such jurisdictions
OBC-A and OBC-B Candidates
All candidates belonging to OBC-A and OBC-B categories are supposed to read the memorandum issued by the Government of West Bengal. The documents attached while filling the WBJEE 2017 application form should be dated before the time of submission. Candidates are not supposed to submit the documents again for admission through counselling process.
Candidates having a minimum of 40% disability with Locomotor Disorder, Visual Impairment and Speech and Hearing Impairments are eligible for reservation in this category. Aspirants are subject to a condition that they are capable of carrying out all activities related to theory and practical work as required by engineering courses.
Candidates with any other disabilities or Locomotor Disability will not be considered for admission to reserved seats.
PWD (person with disabilities) certificates should be issued by the following officials:
- Officer-in-Charge or Medical Head of Primary Health Centres
- Block Primary Health Centres
- State General Hospitals, Rural Hospitals
- Sub-Divisional Hospitals or the District Hospitals run by the State Government or any hospital run by a statutory body or authority.
Reservation under Minority Quota
Minority category candidates are eligible only for WBJEE admission in minority institutes, as approved by the Government of West Bengal.
WBJEE 2017 Reservation of seats under the Defence Quota in various colleges of West Bengal is tabulated here:
|COLLEGE NAME||ENGINEERING COURSE||NO. OF SEATS RESERVED|
|Jadavpur University||As decided by the University Authority||2|
|Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College||Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology||1 (For Each Course)|
|Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Serampore||Information Technology||1|
|Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Berhampur||Computer Science and Engineering||1|
|Government College of Engineering and Ceramic Technology, Kolkata||Information Technology||1|
|Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology, Kolkata||Leather Technology||1|
|Kalyani Government Engineering College, Kalyani||Electrical Engineering||1|
|Purulia Government Engineering College, Purulia||Computer Science and Engineering Electronics and Communication||1 (For Each Course)|
|Coochbehar Government Engineering College||Computer Science and Engineering Electronics and Communication||1|
By qualifying in WBJEE 2017, candidates will be able to secure admission for Engineering (B.E. and B. Tech.) courses in self-financed colleges of the state. The management quota will account for 10% of all seats in allotted to the course. Candidates also need to satisfy the eligibility criteria set by WBJEE. However, candidates under the management quota might not be domiciled in West Bengal.
Tuition Fee Waiver (TFW) Scheme
The Tuition Fee Waiver Scheme is available for meritorious students as well as candidates belonging to economically backward classes living in West Bengal.
The WBJEE 2017 Answer Key was released on 18th May, 2017. Candidates can check the Answer Key online on the website. The Answer Key bears the answers of questions asked in the examination. If any candidate is not satisfied with the answer key, he or she can challenge it till 22nd May, 2017 (4:00 pm). However, candidates who wish to file objections on the WBJEE 2017 Answer Key have to pay Rs. 500 per response. The authority also released the OMR Images and Machine Read Responses for candidates on 16th May, 2017. If candidates are not satisfied with the responses, they can claim for a review before 22nd May, 2017.
Check out the official answer key here.
The result of WBJEE 2017 will tentatively be made available on June 5th, 2017. Candidates will get to know their scores, marks or ranks through the WBJEE 2017 Result. In order to download their result, candidates have to enter their Application Number, Roll Number and Date of Birth on the official WBJEE Website.
How to download or check the WBJEE 2017 Result:
- Enter your WBJEE 2017 Roll Number or Application Number and Date of Birth.
- Provide the Security Pin (as displayed on screen).
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- The WBJEE 2017 result will now be visible on your system screen.
The WBJEE 2017 Cut-off is the closing rank of a particular B. Tech. branch or a participating institute at which admissions into that undergraduate engineering programme close. This means that candidates aspiring for admissions into B. Tech. programmes across the participating institutes of WBJEE 2017 need to secure at least the cut-off marks or above, in order to be eligible for admissions. WBJEE announces a separate cut-off for different undergraduate engineering programmes and institute-wise closing ranks.
The cut-off for WBJEE 2017 is expected to be declared in the first week of June 2017, post the announcement of the Result. It will be calculated on the basis of the availability of seats, difficulty level of exam, total number of students appearing in the exam etc.
The cut-off ranks for WBJEE 2016 are not available; however, candidates can go through the WBJEE cut-off of the previous year below:
WBJEE 2016 Closing Ranks of Top 10 Engineering Branches
|College Name||Course Name||Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Computer Science Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata
|Computer Science Engineering||TFW||9673||28625|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||TFW||12951||30009|
Kalyani Government Engineering College, Nadia
|Computer Science Engineering||TFW||896||26987|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||TFW||1035||28714|
Most Preferred Colleges for Computer Science and Engineering
|SR. NO.||COLLEGE NAME||CLOSING RANK|
|1.||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||195|
|2.||Institute of Engineering and Management||2502|
|3.||Kalyani Government Engineering College, Nadia||2314|
|4.||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||1488|
|5.||Haldia Institute of Technology, Haldia||8813|
Most Preferred Colleges for Electronics and Communication Engineering
|SR. NO.||COLLEGE NAME||CLOSING RANK|
|1.||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||329|
|2.||Kalyani Government Engineering College, Nadia||3066|
|3.||University of Calcutta, Kolkata||1850|
|4.||Institute of Engineering and Management||4030|
|5.||Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College, Jalpaiguri||6564|
Most Preferred Colleges for Mechanical Engineering
|SR. NO.||COLLEGE NAME||CLOSING RANK|
|1.||Jadavpur University, Kolkata Institute of Engineering and Management||616|
|2.||Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata||5938|
|3.||Kalyani Government Engineering College, Nadia||2783|
|4.||Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College, Jalpaiguri||4746|
|5.||Institute of Engineering and Management||3562|
The examination authority, West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEE) set up counselling at various facilitation help centres from 15th to 30th May, 2017. The motive behind this was to educate candidates about participation in the online counselling session. This benefit can be availed by students who had taken WBJEE 2017 and also the qualified candidates in JEE Main 2017. The Mock Counselling will teach candidates about e-counselling procedures like online registration, choice filling, locking, etc. The WBJEE help centres will remain open on all working days from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, including holidays. The list of institutions along with their addresses has been provided below. Candidates who are interested in taking admission in the participating institutes must visit the help centres to successfully complete the WBJEE Counselling process and get admission in the preferred colleges and courses.
Schedule of WBJEE 2017 Mock Counselling
Below are the important dates for the mock counselling:
|1||WBJEE Mock Counselling Start Date||May 15th, 2017|
|2||Closing Date of Mock Counselling||May 30th, 2017|
|3||WBJEE Counselling 2017 Starts||June 2017|
List of WBJEE 2017 Mock Counselling Help Centres
Below is the complete list of all the centres for mock counselling. WBJEE has organised this mock counselling in order to create awareness among candidates about the e-counselling process. The examination authority is conducting this process based on previous year’s data, which does not guarantee allotment of seats in the present academic year.
|NAME OF CENTRE||DISTRICT||ADDRESS OF WBJEE 2017 MOCK COUNSELLING HELP CENTRES||LANDMARK|
|Falakata Polytechnic||Alipurduar||Falakata, Dist. Jalpaiguri -735211. Phone 03563260642.||Kalimandir, High Road, Birpara, Baganbari|
|K.G. Engineering Institute, Bishnupur||Bankura||Bishnupur College Rd, Bishnupur, West Bengal – 722122. Phone: 03244252030.||–|
|University Institute of Technology||Burdwan||Golapbag, Bardhaman – 713104. Phone: 03422658777.||Golapbag|
|Jawaharlal Nehru A Venue, Durgapur – 713214. (Paschim Bardhaman)||Near MAM C.|
|P. O. South Dhadka, P.S. Asansol, North Police Station, Burdwan – 713302. Phone: 03412270053.||North Asansol Police Station|
|Bolpor College||Birbhum||Bolpor College Road, School Bagan, Bolpur, West Bengal – 731204. Phone: 03463252290.||Shantiniketan|
|Suri, Birbhum, Phone: 03462255571.||Near ITI More, Tilpara|
|Coochbehar Government Engineering College||Coochbeh-ar||Harinchawra, P. O.Ghughumari, Coochbehar – 736170. Phone: 03582233044.||Near Ghughumari Bridge Dinajpur|
|Balurghat B.Ed. College||Dinajpur||Dakshin Dinajpur, SH 10, Mangalpur, Balurghat, West Bengal – 733101. Phone – 03522271515.||Opposite to Bharat Sevashram Sangha|
|Birnagar, P. O. Raiganj, Dist. Uttar Denajpur, Pin – 733134. West Bengal. Phone: 03523242410.||Raiganj District Hospital|
|Darjeeling||New Parking Area, Darjeeling Government Polytechnic, MV Road, Kurseong, Darjeeling, West Bengal – 734203. Phone: 03542344434.|
|Raja Ram Manohar Pur, P.O. North Bengal University, Dist. Darjeeling – 734013. Phone: 03532776313.|
|Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Serampore||Hooghly||12, William Carey Road, Serampore, Hooghly – 712201, Phone: 03326623156.||Besides Serampore College|
|Subhash Nagar, Bengai, Arambagh, West Bengal – 712611. Phone: 03211246235.||Near Allahabad Bank, Bengai Br.|
|Howrah Uluberia College, Uluberia||Howrah||Howrah, West Bengal – 711315. Phone: 03326610332.||Near Uluberia Court|
|Mahendra Bhattacharjee Road, Dalalpukur P. O. Santragachi, Howrah – 711104. Phone: 3326684561.||Janbari Dalalpukur|
|Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College||Jalpaiguri||P. O. Jalpaiguri Govt. Engineering College, P. S. Kotwali, Jalpaiguri – 735102. Phone: 03561255131.||Near Jalpaiguri Government Polytechnic College|
|Government College of Engineering and Ceramic Technology||Kolkata||73, A.C. Banerjee Lane, Kolkata – 10. Phone: 03323701263|
|Plot 11, Block LB, Sector III. Salt Lake City, Kolkata – 700098.||Chinghreegata, NUJS|
|Jadavpur, 188, Raja S. C. Mallik Road, Kolkata – 700032. Phone: 03324146666.||Near 8B Bus Stand|
|Plot 8, Sector III, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 098, Phone: +9 133 – 24146666||Chingrighata Bus Stop|
|Malda Government Polytechnic||Malda||P.O. Maliha, Dist. Malda – 732102||Adjacent to Kendriya Vidyalaya|
|Contain Polytechnic||Medinipur||Darua, P.O. Contai, Dist -Purba Medinipur – 721401.||Contai Sub Divisional Hospital|
|Kshudiram Nagar, Haldia, West Bengal – 721631. Phone: 03224253064.||Haldia Municipality Office|
|Vidyasagar University Road, Rangamati, Paschim Medinipur, West Bengal – 721102. Phone: 0322276554.||Vidyasagar University|
|Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology||Mursidabad||Berhampore 4, Cantonment Road, P.O. and P.S. Berhampore, Murshidabad. Phone: 03482250142.||Barrack Square|
|Kalyani Government Engineering College||Nadia||P.O. and P.S. Kalyani, Nadia – 741235. Phone: 03325821309.||University of Kalyani|
|Haripada Chatterjee Road, District Nadia, Krishnagar, West Bengal – 741101. Phone: 03472272452.|
|Purulia Government Engineering College||Purulia||Village Chas, P.O. Ramamoti, P.S. Joypur Purulia – 723103. Phone: 9830656371.||Chas Road Railway Station|
|Diamond Harbour Fakirchand College||24 -Parganas||Naiya Para, Lalpole, Diamond Harbour, West Bengal – 743331. Phone: 03174255230.||Near Diamond Harbour Rly. Stn.|
|P. O. Devalaya, Berachampa, 24 Pgs. (N) – 743424. Phone: 03216242227.||Near Block Development Office|
|NH-35, Prafulla Nagar, North 24 Parganas, Habra, West Bengal – 743268. Phone: 03216237020.||Habra Rly. Gate No. 2|
|Tripura Govt. Women’s Polytechnic||Tripura||Hapania, P. O. Amtali via Shekerkote, Agartala, Tripura – 799130. Phone: 03812376814.|
The WBJEE 2017 Counselling will be conducted tentatively in the third week of June, 2017. Qualifying candidates will have to participate in the online counselling through the e-counselling. Expected to have 3 rounds for admissions to the year 2017-18, like last year, the WBJEE 2017 counselling includes the following stages:
- Online Registration and Fee Payment
- Choice Filling and Locking
- Seat Allotment
- Document Verification and Fee Payment at Reporting Centres
Documents Required for Verification (original along with a set of attested photocopies):
- WBJEE 2017 Admit Card
- Printout of WBJEE 2017 or JEE Main 2017 Rank from website
- Higher Secondary or Class XII or Equivalent Examination Mark Sheet
- Madhyamik or Class 10 or Equivalent Examination Admit Card
- WBJEE 2017 Seat Allotment Letter
- Receipt of Online Counselling Registration Fee (E-challan receipt)
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- Pwd Certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (if applicable)
WBJEE 2017 Counselling Fee: Rs. 500 (plus bank charges if applicable)
Note: The counselling fee for WBJEE 2017 is non-refundable.
West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board,
AQ-13/1, Sector-V, Salt Lake City, Kolkata – 700091.
Toll-Free Number: 18003450050
Asking doubts and clearing them are extremely important while preparing for WBJEE. Toppr brings you a community who has survived the test of time and wants to help out WBJEE aspirants.
Here are some of the commonly asked doubts by WBJEE applicants:
- Cracking WBJEE question papers
- How to study for WBJEE in last 2 months?
- How to ask doubts from experts?
- Previous Year WBJEE papers?
Keep visiting Toppr for the latest news and updates on WBJEE 2017.