The art of learning how to write an Email goes a long way in today’s day and age. Email writing helps us to write all our problems and doubt to the concerning person and get a reply as quick as possible. Today we will learn how to write an effective email.
In today’s world, email is the most common form of communication. Email writing helps us to get the solution instantaneously. Email writing involves composing, sending, storing and receiving messages over an electronic communication system. An email stands for an electronic mail. Email writing is preferred over other forms of communication as it is cheaper and faster.
Categories of Emails
Emails are of three types:
- Semi-Formal email
- Formal email
- Informal email
An email written for a colleague or a team-mate within a project comes under this category. The language used is simple, friendly, and casual. Modesty and dignity must be maintained.
Suppose we are writing or composing an email for any type of business communication. It will come under the category of formal email. Formal email writing will be an email written to companies, government departments, school authorities or any other officers.
An informal email is written to any relatives, family or friends. There are no particular rules for informal email writing. A person can use any language of his or her choice.
Advantages of Email Writing
- It is a cheaper form of communication.
- Email helps to contact or send information to a large group of people.
- It provides a written record of the communication.
- Email writing is an instantaneous form of communication.
- It can be used anytime and anywhere.
Disadvantages of Email Writing
- We need to have the internet to receive or send emails
- Viruses are easily spread via email attachments
- One can get many junk emails
- There is no guarantee if the reader reads the email or not
- The details can be used for identity theft
Features of Email
There are many features of email. Some of them are as follows
- Automatic reply to messages
- The address can be stored in an address book
- The address can be used in the near future
- Automatic filing and retrieval of messages
- Notification of delivering or not of a message
- Facility to send copies of a message to many people
- Signatures can be attached
- Automatic using the date and time
- Attachments in the form of files, graphics or sound can be sent
- Mobile friendly emails facility
- Auto forward of messages
Email writing is a form of expressing ideas or queries. It is helpful only if we write an email in clear and unambiguous terms. Effective email writing has the property of clarity of statement, the needed solution with clear, logical, and simple language. Email writing can be successful if we follow some rules. These are the rules of
- Giving Context or information
- Call for action
Effective Email Writing
There are some ways in which one can improve the way of email writing. To write a good email we must remember some points.
- Write a meaningful subject line
- Keep the message focused and understanding
- Identify yourself clearly
- Use official id for business-related or professional emails
- Use short sentences for clear convey of the message
- Organize the content of the mail in a logical and systematic manner
- Be kind
- Don’t lose your focus
- Use separate paragraphs for stating different points
- Use proper, simple, polite, and clear language
- Show respect and restraint
- Make sure the message is complete
- Find the difference between formal and informal situations
- Respond promptly
Solved Example on email writing
Problem: Classify the following into Do’s and Don’ts for writing an effective email.
- Make points about information
- Use colored fonts and different font style for making eye-catching emails
- Include graphs, flow charts, and other files as attachments
- Make the mail as long as possible for a clear understanding of the content
- Use any language of interest for business communication
- Be kind
- Write the entire mail in capital letters
- Check grammar and spellings
- Use emoticons in professional email for expressing your emotions
- Writing emails has no format
|Make points about information.||Use colored fonts and different font styles for making eye-catching emails.|
|Include graphs, flow charts, and other files as attachments.||Writing emails has no format.|
|Be kind.||Make the mail as long as possible for a clear understanding of the content.|
|Check grammar and spelling.||Use any language of interest for business communication.|
|Write the entire mail in capital letters.|
|Use emoticons in professional email for expressing your emotions.|