Staffing is the process of recruiting employees who are eligible for certain positions in a company. Steps involved in the staffing process are 1. Manpower Planning, 2. Recruitment, 3. Selection, 4. Placement, 5. Training, 6. Development, 7. Promotion, 8. Transfer, 9. Appraisal, 10. Determination of Remuneration. Let us learn about the steps in detail.
It is a truth that human resource is one of the greatest for every organization because in any organization all other resources like- money, material, machine etc. can be utilized effectively and efficiently by the positive efforts of human resource.
Therefore it is very important that each and every person should get right position in the organization so as to get the right job, according to their ability, talent, aptitude, and specializations so that it will help the organization to achieve the pre-set goals in the proper way by the 100% contribution of manpower.
Steps involved in Staffing Process
- Manpower Planning
- Determination of Remuneration
Now, the process of Staffing can be explained in the following ways as follows-
1. Manpower Planning
Manpower planning can be regarded as the quantitative and qualitative measurement of labour force required in an enterprise. Therefore, in an overall sense, the planning process involves the synergy in creating and evaluating the manpower inventory and as well as in developing the required talents among the employees selected for promotion advancement
Recruitment is a process of searching for prospective employees and stimulating them to apply for jobs in the organization. It stands for finding the source from where potential employees will be selected.
Selection is a process of eliminating those who appear unpromising. The purpose of this selection process is to determine whether a candidate is suitable for employment in the organization or not. Therefore, the main aim of the process of selection is selecting the right candidates to fill various positions in the organization. A well-planned selection procedure is of utmost importance.
Placement means putting the person on the job for which he is selected. It includes introducing the employee to his job.
After selection of an employee, the important part of the programmed is to provide training to the new employee. With the various technological changes, the need for training employees is being increased to keep the employees in touch with the various new developments.
A sound staffing policy provides for the introduction of a system of planned promotion in every organization. If employees are not at all having suitable opportunities for their development and promotion, they get frustrated which affect their work.
The process of promotion implies the up-gradation of an employee to a higher post involving increasing rank, prestige and responsibilities. Generally, the promotion is linked to increment in wages and incentives but it is not essential that it always relates to that part of an organization.
Transfer means the movement of an employee from one job to another without increment in pay, status or responsibilities. Therefore this process of staffing needs to evaluated on a timely basis.
Appraisal of employees as to how efficiently the subordinate is performing a job and also to know his aptitudes and other qualities necessary for performing the job assigned to him.
10. Determination of Remuneration
This is the last process which is very crucial as it involves in determining remuneration which is one of the most difficult functions of the personnel department because there are no definite or exact means to determine correct wages.
Benefits of Staffing Process
The benefits of an effective staffing function are as follows-
- Staffing process helps in getting right people for the right job at right time. The function of staffing helps the management to decide the number of employees needed for the organization and with what qualifications and experience.
- Staffing process helps to improved organizational productivity. Therefore, through proper selection of employees in the organization, it can increase the quality of the employees, and through proper training, the performance level of the employees can also be improved.
- It helps in providing job satisfaction to the employees and thus keeps their morale high. With proper training and development programmer, the employees get motivation and their efficiency improves and they feel assured of their career advancements.
- It maintains harmony in the organization. Therefore with an overall performance of proper staffing in an organization, the individuals are not only recruited and selected and but as a result, their performance is regularly appraised and promotions made on merit which fosters harmony and peace in the organization for the accomplishment of overall objectives of an organization.
Solved Example for You
Q: Recruitment is a ________.
- Two-way process
- One way process
- Three-way process
- None of the above
Ans: The correct option is A. Recruitment assures that the right job is being provided to the right person at the right time at the right place with maximum satisfaction to the job applicant as well as the organisation.