Now that almost all organizations use accounting software to maintain their books of accounts, a new question arises. Which accounting software should the company use? Well, there are a number of factors to consider when sourcing accounting software. Let us take a look.
Having accounting software in place will allow you to stay on top of the cash flow and focus on what you do best. You won’t have to create a duplicate for yourself and it keeps your record clean. People who don’t manage their household with a budget don’t manage their business with a budget. Businesses that don’t make their decisions based on up-to-date financials don’t make many dollars and doesn’t make many dollars and that doesn’t make any sense.
Tracking the financial side of any business can be a lot of work, but understanding the numbers is essential to success. You don’t have to manage the money inflows on your own, there are several software options that will improve the efficiency of these accounting records. This is one of the early and important decision that every business must make. Don’t hesitate to take the advantage of the free-trials offer before jumping in.
There are 5 main considerations while selecting the accounting software for your small business. Let us take a look at them in some detail.
1. Ease of Use
Ask yourself how is it use the program. The interface and navigation should be simple and self-explanatory. There should also be an option for data backup. I personally like to purchase from companies that offer help at no additional cost, have reasonable service plans or offer tutorial training that walks me through the most popular business cost and transactions. If the program is not easy to navigate, it will be installed on your computer but you will never want to use it and you don’t want it to happen.
What your software offers is an important consideration. Make a list of the primary things that you need to track an account for. You must know how much each service or product costs and be able to track your cost of goods sold. Features like invoicing, online payments, payrolls, auto payments, reporting, bank balances will help you to stay up-to-date on your small business income, expenses and where you may need to make adjustments. Narrow the choices and compare program features by using the accounting libraries and free software tools.
If other financial tools are being used by the business- for example, A POS or e-commerce system, then you want to look into compatibility on your particular software with any other essential software to run the online or storefront portion of the business. In an ideal world, you want a solution that provides most of what you need in one program. If you must have multiple software packages make sure that the data can be automatically linked for real-time updates or transferred daily with the upload of excel or CSV file.
In many companies, knowing the number is a team effort. Consider a software program that allows you to have several users including a financial user, accounting, and bookkeeper. Billing is one of the most important activity of an organization so it should not take overwhelming effort.
While price is a factor it should not necessarily be the deciding one. The ability to manage the one is far more important of it’s the difference of saving the few dollars. What you should be aware of are the different pricing models that used by software products. For example – you can purchase quick book software for a one time fee of $249, or use their online version which starts at $12.95.Fano
Solved Example for You
Q1. Why Do you need accounting software for your small business?
Ans: A small business with just 5 employees may find that accounting software may save them 3hrs each month on paperwork. Another business of the same size may see no gains. A fortune 500 business absolutely needs your accounting software, on the other hand, a published author can manage without.
Benefits of having accounting software:
- It automatically calculates general entries for the balance sheet for p/l statement
- You can easily transfer the data to your accountant and auditors.
- Bookkeeping software has abundant useful tools and functionalities to analyze your business and perform financial analysis.
- Journal entries, drafts, invoices and financial statements can automatically be printed in good and professional formats for your accountants to use.
Q2. What are 3 major types of accounting software?
- Database accounting software: This type of system is used by large companies. Since businesses need to have a large database to install this type of software data is more secured s. Oracle accounting software falls into this category. One needs to hire system engineer and system consultant to install in your company. Basically, this type of software can handle financial management, more complex tasks, large network and complete accounting functions.
- Installed accounting software: Limited businesses can take advantage of accounting software in the form of CDs and DVDs which can be installed on your computer, in the area where internet connection is slow and
- Cloud accounting software: this accounting software is available online and data can be accessed through the internet or cloud. For example fresh book or quick book, sage 50 premium accounting 2k15 and zero.